Autism Speaks Seeks to develop prenatal abortion tests?

Page 2 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ci
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 10:50 pm

aghogday wrote:
AlanTuring wrote:
ci wrote:
If you prove this statement then the sponsorship toward Autism Speaks will go down.

It appears as though Autism Speaks supports research into genetic markers that could be use for such a test. That there has been little success in this venture so far does not change their research interests or intentions.

The only reason that anyone would speak of pre-natal testing in terms of trimesters would be with abortion in mind.

Autism Speaks anticipates the use of pre-natal testing for ASDs for elective abortion.

This is all fairly clear from their email.

They anticipate the reality that some would use a prenatal test for an abortion, that's a fairly obvious potential with any prenatal test in a country where there is a right to abortion for any reason; the cleft palate analogy in the UK is an excellent one to illustrate this reality, but their specific goal, in the research they support into a potential definitive prenatal test as stated in the email is:

Quote:
Ultimately, the goal of a definitive prenatal test, if achievable, would be to have gestational intervention to correct or temper any developmental abnormalities. I certainly hope we can accomplish this, but we are still years away from such an accomplishment.

They acknowledge the difficulty environmental influence will make in providing a prenatal test. At the time of the email research suggested that the cause of autism was almost 90% the result of genetics, from a study of twins. Those results have been disputed for years, per Wiki; a recent, much bigger study with twins suggests that environment plays a significantly greater role, potentially greater than 50 percent, along with genetics than previous research suggested.

While their goal continues to be to provide the potential for gestational intervention to correct or temper any developmental abnormalities, through a definitive prenatal test, perinatal environmental factors are now suspected to potentially be an environmental factor, that merits further research. The organization helped support the recent research that led to the findings on environmental influence and autism, as well.

The United States government supports research into a prenatal test, along with Autism Speaks, for this stated goal of gestational intervention to temper developmental abnormalities. With Government support, with or without Autism Speaks contributions in this area, the research will continue, and if the potential is actually there for a definitive prenatal test it will happen regardless if Autism Speaks exists or doesn't exist.

It is likely that many of the same people that support Autism Speaks would continue to support alternate funding avenues for this type of research, if Autism Speaks were to go away. There is already a record of individuals supporting genetic research into Autism, with no affiliation to Autism speaks of at least 1 million dollars. There are are alot of deep pockets out there.

There are estimates of billions of dollars in support that will be needed to meet the future needs of Autistic people with developmental disabilities, by recent governmental reports.

Potential intervention through genetic research or prevention of environmental influence that may lead to developmental disabilities associated with Autism are an area, at this point in time, that the government sees as an issue that must be pursued, per the Combating Autism Act.

As an organization Autism Speaks has the most potential to help others given it's great accomplishments. It getting into abortion test development would wreck that.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 11:38 pm

shulamith wrote:
First of all: autism/AS is your identity, there's no getting around that. That's not to say it's better than being NT, often it's much more challenging. But just because something makes your life harder doesn't make it a disease or a disability, otherwise we would have to include being female, nonwhite, gay, or transsexual as being diseases/"obstacles to overcome" (in the US anyway). Even if you see it as a negative, without it you wouldn't be you.
The problem with prenatal testing- and it's possible, because every so-called piece of evidence that autism is environmental has either been a hoax or seems trotted out to create lawsuits to me- is that many people, hearing something like "autism," won't do any research and will just abort the fetus. That's their right, but it's just a sad fact of the matter. To find out more about these modern eugenics, read the book "The Short Bus," by Jonathan Mooney.
Most parents want their children to have the easiest, most 'successful' lives possible. That's natural, and it can be a good thing, but when it comes to something like autism, it can be a real setback because they'll make decisions motivated by fear for their child's quality of life, rather than a rational understanding of the situation.

It is commonly understood that Autism is part of person's genetic makeup and relates to differences in thinking and behaving, but identity is a psychological construct that varies among each individual.

I think it is every individuals perogative if they identify with their work, their special interest, their glorious beauty, or any label they choose, including autistic, to describe what it is they associate as their identity. That's Psychology 101, nothing ground breaking there.

People that aren't aware they have autism, certainly don't identify themselves as being autistic. They might identify themselves, as Joe, a Fireman, a plumber, a husband, wife, or mother, but without knowledge that certain traits they have combine to make a disorder that psychological professionals have qualified with a label, Autistic or Autism means absolutely nothing to them.

There seems to be a significant number of people with Aspergers that identify themselves as Autistic; I see no problem with that, but before Hans Aspergers came along, some may have been teased with words like nerd or geek, but engineer, scientist, husband, or wife, were probably favorable terms to identify with at that time.

We can't escape our genetic makeups, but we certainly have the option of taking on whatever identity life leads us to, that we choose to associate ourselves with.

The recent research on twins and environment is respected, peer reviewed, and merits further research into what the environmental factors that may be associated with Autism; thirmesol and vaccines are old news now. Research continues on mercury and vaccines, but not in relation to thirmesol/vaccines. It's given environmental influence and autism a bad name, but there is now research that points toward perinatal environmental factors that merits further research.

I agree that parents want to have healthy children, that's a genetic propensity in the genepool of most animals, humans are just one of them. Infanticide is nothing new in the human race.

Abortion is legal, and along with the propensity of humans to control reproduction, along with subsistence, concerns, now extended to other terms as well, it is as I think you agree a reality that people are going to make these kind of decisions, because it's part of human nature, that technology has perfected with assisted measures, and potential future scenarios that were unknown before, that definitely have already proven to create fear that is not necessarily warranted.

Whether or not the government supports research for a prenatal test for Autism, is a political issue that will be determined by politicians, and whether or not the general public generally supports it and funds it in private areas, will also influence the decisions of the politicans.

The reality is some people would like to see interventions to help children with autism that have developmental disabilities, like the inability to speak, through a definitive prenatal test and some people would like to have the knowledge in determining whether or not to have an abortion.

Autism Speaks is a player in this, but a minor player considering that it is the general public that is supporting and funding the effort for genetic research, either through private donations or taxpayer support.

Seriously though, I doubt anyone that many people that are actually donating to the cause, because of support of loved ones with Autism are doing so in hopes of having information for a decision on an abortion.

Most people are not going to provide financial support for a charitable cause, unless they are wanting to help someone. That's part of human nature as well.

No doubt that some of the same people would be against the abortion of an autistic child, if and when a prenatal test becomes available. People don't normally give voluntarily because they hate something, they give because they care about something, even if it's just a tax break.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 12:14 am

Autism Speaks did start with the idea of abortions as an answer. Early genetic study was directed to that point, just like their study of vaccines, metals, they were scanning the field for any answer.

It was quickly shown that there would be no autism test, as it was not a single marker, and continued research shows it is over a hundred, that might be involved, that are also found in a good deal of the non autistic.

Testing on twins shows it is not just genetic.

Politics aside, the ethics of abortion have been overruled by law. Very few are aborted due to genetic conditions, almost all of the 45 million have been perfectly normal humans.

There is nothing unethical about research, for nothing has been discovered that could have an ethical base. I favor research into the Human Genome, for the same reason as the neanderthal genome, we are replacing guesses with knowledge.

The same research, prenatal testing, I myself proposed a few years back because autism seems to develop after birth, three was often mentioned, now I hear of tests for one year olds. Study from conception through birth is needed to follow the development of autism, and particularly the range, Aspergers or profound, where there might be some differance that could lead to lessening potential autistic development before birth.

It could be as simple as a virus, exposure to a chemical, we will never know without testing. No luck yet, but that is science for you.

Autism Speaks set out to prove or disprove the causes of autism. We had many ideas, they were all proved wrong, we now know less than nothing about the cause. I call that good science.

Research is now moving on to treatment, and there there is progress. Treatment works, programs are being developed, and in general, five years from the research lab to the field. Then training therapists, getting government funding for a broad new program, and then another five years of follow up while continuing research.

Improving someones potential is not destroying who they are, will not make them non autistic, just more functional, which everyone could use.

As this is a medical decision made by a parent and legal guardian, the politics of adult autistics has nothing to do with it.

I have to agree with the path of science, Prevent, Cure, and when that does not work, Treat, Support, and now ethics do come into play. Every person has a right to the best life they can have, limited by government funding.

Following their work I see a long path of turned over stones as they sought to prove or disprove anything and everything. In Treatment they finally have a winner, it works! Next problem, how do all these treated autistics live in the future? They are on it. They are following the logic of the scientific method, have a top team, what results can be had, they will develop.

Other research continues, and if it turns out that a virus causes it in the womb, ethics says you must inform the parents. How they use that information is a private and legally protected affair. If it was a virus, perhaps a vaccine would be developed.

So the question, would the world be a better place without autism? Most are going to vote yes, and I and other autistic would agree. In that respect it ranks with Polio, expensive to care for, life limiting, and no one regrets the vaccine.

The potential for a prenatal autism test still exists, if a cause could be found. If a virus, then it could lead to abortion, or a vaccine. So far, there is no evidence. Nothing can be ruled out in science or when Congress is in session.

Autism Speaks has no intentions, except turning over every stone. The same can be said of science. There is always the potential to find something.

The most likely outcome is not in our lifetimes, so all research will be directed at overcoming our existing problems, and providing support for three million people. For this Autism Speaks raises about $18 a head. The government spends Billions.

All we can do is reduce the cost of autism. Less cost, more productive, we need a plan.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 12:20 am

I have plans.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

ci
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 12:55 am

Can anyone confirm that Autism Speaks has had or has intents to develop a test for abortion related matters?

carltcwc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2011, 12:56 am

AmyF wrote:
Are they actually going to do this? If so....YAY! :D

Anyone who gets an abortion because of autism or anything that isnt fatal to the child or mother is incapable of loving even a "normal" kid anyways because they would have aborted them as well if they were different. Noone has the right to choose their family. They can have the right to go kill themself though.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 1:42 am

Here is a link just presented in another forum, about a new five year research project that will screen feotuses for Autism, through biomarkers, including ones for brain development. The article also mentions new research that suggests that high levels of umbilical cord testosterone, are related to speech impairment, a trait associated with Autism. Nothing to to do with Autism Speaks, but just an indication that organizations throughout the world are funding research for potential Autism prenatal intervention efforts.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/10222323/new-autism-check-for-foetuses/

ci
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 2:00 am

I will think about this tonight and post something tomorrow. It's about human perception and can a company loose customers for supporting abortion related development indirectly. It is not about a judgement for or against abortion. I consult for instance my Chamber of Commerce on awareness issues and media and broadcasting organizations at times about awareness. I've also been threatened by pride advocates to redefine my image of autism in society in how I project it or else face opposition. I know this has to do with the abortion issue as Autism Speaks was brought up and the abortion testing research. However there is a spirit of the law which I most ethically follow when deciding policies in how to manage the public relations as others will take over aspects of the organization I began and have those responsibilities. With it states individuals have the right to treatment and individual choices. Compassion I believe has nothing to do with abortion issues and associating with organizations who openly support an organization whom supports a specific test for abortion is a risk in public funding potentials. There is no clear evidence Autism Speaks designing a test for abortion use but however the potential of prenatal treatment even if that means individuals can choose to then abort.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 2:09 am

Apparently nobody is interested in the text of the email unless it can be interpreted how they want it to read. I don't think I'll post the rest of the emails because I don't want to risk getting sued for slander when it all turns up out of context (or outright rewritten) on people's blogs.

ci wrote:
Can anyone confirm that Autism Speaks has had or has intents to develop a test for abortion related matters?

No, and the email of mine that you cited in the first post says no such thing. He merely acknowledges that there is a risk people could use a well-meaning prenatal test for elective abortions.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

ci
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 2:13 am

John_Browning wrote:
Apparently nobody is interested in the text of the email unless it can be interpreted how they want it to read. I don't think I'll post the rest of the emails because I don't want to risk getting sued for slander when it all turns up out of context (or outright rewritten) on people's blogs.

ci wrote:

No, and the email of mine that you cited in the first post says no such thing. He merely acknowledges that there is a risk people could use a well-meaning prenatal test for elective abortions.

Yes. This I can understand. However people see that such a test can be used also for abortion. That does not mean individuals do not have the right to potential treatment in the womb. It's a subject that is extraordinarily volatile but at the same time a protected liberty for use in otherwise non-abortion matters.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4RjJKxsamQ&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 3:13 am

AmyF wrote:
ci wrote:
AmyF wrote:
ci wrote:
AmyF wrote:
Are they actually going to do this? If so....YAY! :D

Do what?

The pre-natal tests. You know, to see if the kid's gonna be autistic. Are they making any progress with that?

It's fascinating some would be excited and some would view such a test as enabling abortion. Still however it is covered under the right to treatment advancements. Why if I might ask would you be excited for such a test to exist?

Less autistic kids, more normal ones. I mean I have aspergers, my life growing up was kinda sucky and all I did was waste my mom's money. Hell even now I'm pretty sure that's all I do.

Less autistic kids, more normal ones? Are you saying that I am somehow not normal or have less of a right to live? Do you believe in eugenics? Are you saying people like me have no right to live? Just because your life growqing up was crap doesn't mean it is your fault for starters. Also your experiences in life don't justify pre-natal tests and abortion!

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 8:48 am

people use labels like pride mite or autism supremist or whatever.well if standing against autism speaks on this one makes me a pride mite than count me in

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 9:02 am

vermontsavant wrote:
people use labels like pride mite or autism supremist or whatever.well if standing against autism speaks on this one makes me a pride mite than count me in

Welcome to the club! Please collect your complementary t-shirt.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 10:00 am

Gedrene wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

Welcome to the club! Please collect your complementary t-shirt.
thanks for the welcome,however i only wear boston red sox t shirts

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 10:10 am

That's impossible, they have not found an autism gene or anything that indicates autism in a fetus.......so there is no way to test for it so that the parent can abort the fetus for that reason. So Autism Speaks is delusional if they think they can provide such a test.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 11:33 am

Theoretically if some forms of autism develop in the womb due to environmental factors in the womb such a finding could be beneficial not for a test but for banning such substances in industry. If certain genetic manifestions leave someone more at risk to other environmental factors then others it still could lead to modification of industry. The brain can be a very sensitive and amazing thing. Autism I recall is the imapirment but it might also be the case autism is just part of an evolutionary quark. Hence what people perceive is wrong is in fact natural or even a response to what is wrong in the world maybe like pollution. As my behaviorist has told me in behaviorism she finds what is instead of absolute causation. It is just as important to work with with what is in equality of adaptation just as their is a right to figure out why adaptation is ultimately necessary.

With regards to potential abortion that's in the hands of individuals who make personal choices and policy makers and those whom vote them in. Arguing that autism is not a disability for the sake of the potential abortion of developing life forms is a conflict of interest. Causation research is a protected liberty and should environmental factors be found not just in the womb it would lead to improvements. The same kinds of research can be ultamatelty very controversial.

With concern to this matter and the laws where I live about individual choices to treatment and even the right to decline treatment then for this reason I see no conflict of interest with rights under the law and with potential improvements. I see for that reason no reason to decline sponsorship. Individuals desiring to modify abortion laws should seek mainstream political groups to handle this issue. However attacking an organization over this specific concern is in conflict of interest with individual rights to treatment advancements as defined by state and federal laws.

It is an awkward issue and I believe no matter side whomever 100% supports one side in context to abortion may face social consequences including toward businesses and their revenues. I myself and in awareness have no involvement with abortion related organization either pro-live or pro-choice. Some anti-cure organizations are anti-selective-abortion choice.. Just the same as Pro-life I don't have anything to do with them including ASAN who uses the abortion issue to enhance other agenda's of theirs.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKEfc3bzOCA[/youtube]