Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ci
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2011, 8:14 pm

In autism awareness in society as a whole by organizations and media what offends you? If many things offend you let us know the top four or five. In reply I may detail alternative ways to understand rather then being offended that you might consider or simply agreeing with you and offering then still alternative ways to mutually perceive it.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2011, 9:42 pm

Being called a Pride Mite because I disagree with somebody here.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2011, 9:48 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Being called a Pride Mite because I disagree with somebody here.

My suggestion is to not longer call people curebees when they want a cure. But I do agree with you people should not call people names. I made it up to create fairness by neutralizing the insults in context to what has happened over the years toward those that want a cure.

A cure can mean to people they are being judged as defective.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

maquaii
Raven
Raven

13 Sep 2011, 12:07 am

The enormous focus on the negative i suppose, but i wouldn't say i'm offended just a bit annoyed.
"Yes yes yes, i get that we the homogeneous group of autistic people are a nuisance."

ci
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 12:11 am

maquaii wrote:
The enormous focus on the negative i suppose, but i wouldn't say i'm offended just a bit annoyed.
"Yes yes yes, i get that we the homogeneous group of autistic people are a nuisance."

The negative can effect the self-esteem. When it comes to awareness people focus on the negatives I think so people understand there are needs. Dignity is also a need and has it's place. I'm not sure in how some have represented the need for dignity it is really helpful to those in need who also deserve a dignity. The idea of pity to me lacked dignity. I see this need for positivity but I have got to understand when some are so desperate it would seem to help with the negatives they are actually meaning to help and maybe didn't realize the need to be more personable with regards to dignity. So much fighting and bickering between groups and sides that I don't believe it is ultimately good for dignity or need always.

maquaii
Raven
Raven

13 Sep 2011, 12:48 am

Ci: No offense, but could you work a little with your "commas"? i find it difficult at times to get your point because of it.

I understand the necessity to point out the negative, but thats been the major focus through all of it. If thats all they want to put out there, then thats what people will learn. And when you tell someone you've got a form of autism, either all the negative sides they've learned of will be automatically assumed to apply to you, or they'll think "No, you ain't got it, because you don't match what I've learned". (Generally speaking)

ci
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 1:23 am

maquaii wrote:
Ci: No offense, but could you work a little with your "commas"? i find it difficult at times to get your point because of it.

I understand the necessity to point out the negative, but thats been the major focus through all of it. If thats all they want to put out there, then thats what people will learn. And when you tell someone you've got a form of autism, either all the negative sides they've learned of will be automatically assumed to apply to you, or they'll think "No, you ain't got it, because you don't match what I've learned". (Generally speaking)

I cannot really figure out all the commas to well. I understand your concern and I explain it is a spectrum and I am not a disorder label and they are speaking of the specific disorder label to help treat symptoms that are more debilitating where applicable like inability to speak. News media is a good example of where they have shown the diversity and gifts. Other then that I have the right to privacy but I choose to be a public advocate.

I have been in the media numerous times and they were never negative about me about my autism. It seems to be about context some disputes relevant to awareness.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 2:40 am

Here is a good one.

Autism is a psychiatric disorder as portrayed in some awareness's.

1. The idea of being perceived mentally ill and not simply having a developmental disability can be harsh to the self-esteem and others perceptions of individuals with a form of autism.

2. Autism Spectrum however is diagnosed by means of the psychiatric criterion in observable behavioral differences. There are mental processing differences including the manifestation of sensory disturbances, transitional difficulties and attention differences.

3. The social stereotype(s) in association is a societal problem in context to mental illness in general..

I'd propose that instead in awareness they use developmental disability or simply disability without unnecessarily connotations. This is a good compromise leading to the same or even better intentions in awareness.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 6:28 am

I don't see autism as an illness, I see it as a disability and I'm not bother by the fact that I have a slight disability. Having a disability doesn't bother me at all. It bothers me that people see people on the spectrum as helpless cases who need to be fixed or aborted.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 6:30 am

I don't wish to go around in circles. I'm going back to bed now.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 8:08 am

Title question response: Being accused of having an agenda is one. Having to deal with people who think that their unproven claims are evidence of something is another. People who let common opinion blind their sense of reason. Accusations about a hidden agenda are fourth. People trying to twist my hypothesis in to some sort of dictatorial control scheme as can only imagined by conspiracy theorists is my biggest pet peeve. They are all things said about me on this forum.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 12:21 pm

Patronisation and also any assumptions made by people when they don't know s**t.
Also anything "AUTISM IS JUST A DIFFERENCE ASPIE PRIDE FOEREVAAA!"

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 1:46 pm

The OP is no longer here to defend himself, so I'm not going to comment on the suggestion that he gave me.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 3:30 pm

MONKEY wrote:
Patronisation and also any assumptions made by people when they don't know sh**.
Also anything "AUTISM IS JUST A DIFFERENCE ASPIE PRIDE FOEREVAAA!"

An interesting spin on a people who are usually known for not being overly excited about anything except their continued existence.