Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

yamato_rena
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Oct 2011, 11:58 am

I am volunteering on a state senate campaign. I've met the person many times before - she's very nice. Recently, I was talking with another volunteer there - an NT much older than I am. We were talking about politics and the economy, and the subject turned to the difficulties facing job seekers, and I described to him some of what I've noted on the fora here, as well as in my own experience about the difficulties the neurodiverse community can have in finding jobs and in the school system. He seemed surprised and suggested that I mention it to the candidate I'm volunteering for so that she might be able to pursue some stuff that can help out in the state senate.

I'm a little shy about this, both about admitting that I have a learning disability to her (I'm still looking for a job myself and would like to be able to use her as a reference), and because I'm not sure exactly what I should say. So, I thought I'd pose it to the forum. If you were in my shoes, what would you say, if anything? What would you say are the most important issues in the neurodiverse community, and how would you express them?

yamato_rena
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Oct 2011, 9:37 pm

Um, just to let everyone know, I'm probably going to head back tomorrow, and I absolutely won't bring up anything unless I've planned out what I want to say in advance.

N0tYetDeadFred
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Oct 2011, 7:50 am

I'm not sure how much time you have left, but I would look at the "Combating Autism Reauthorization Act" signed by Obama (probably as an idea of what NOT to do), and look at the political goals on the Aspies for Freedom homepage.

In addition to those, there is one area in which state governments can be helpful: training police about autism. Basically, some of the ways that law enforcement officials are told to look for "suspicious people" are an exact description of autistic people (shifty eyes, etc.) and aspies are more likely to be harrassed by police. Perhaps some job training is in order.

yamato_rena
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Oct 2011, 9:17 am

Wow, the police issue is one I hadn't even thought of! I'll make sure to bring that up. I'm looking through some of the stuff ASAN has on the CARA right now. Is AFF's political stuff okay? Some of the stuff said around here makes them sound a little... overzealous?

N0tYetDeadFred
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Oct 2011, 9:40 am

They probably are a little overzealous, but their front page has a decent list of aims that can be modified a little.

yamato_rena
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Oct 2011, 9:50 pm

Thanks! I thought of saying something today, but there was a debate this evening, and so I decided to give the candidate in question her space beforehand. I'll talk with her next week. On the plus side, this gives me more time to plan out what I should say, so I can read more! :D

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2011, 5:18 pm

pm androbot2084 about difficulties finding jobs and such he might be able to share some experiances with you.