pro-cure, I'm an NT parent of an ASD child 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
anti-cure, I'm a NT parent of an ASD child 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
other 23%  23%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 64

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 1:56 am

I liked the Moomintroll depressed character that everyone they touched died, and the ground froze where they sat.

We have those, but never had a name for them.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 4:24 am

aghogday wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
@aghogday.who was that last post directed at.it said gedrene but im the only one in the last few posts who said they play the piano

I was speaking to Gedrene.

You were saying that I play the Piano. But that's a completely load of balderdash. I don't pla the Piano and I never said that I did. That was someone else. Can you read rather than baselessly assume?

aghogday wrote:
My understanding now, is that he doesn't like the words "special interest", which are described below as intense absorption in certain subjects often involving minutia, so he may not think that applies to his own personal behavior, which of course is his business,

Noooo... I said that I hadn't told you any of my special interests. You seem to be stuck in very thick black and white thinking, where just because I say that you are wrong about my special interests, you assume that I have none.

aghogday wrote:
Quote:
lack of empathy, ability to take another's perspective
· naïve, inappropriate, one-sided interaction with others
· little or no ability to form friendships
· social anxiety
· pedantic, repetitive speech
· intense absorption in certain subjects, often involving minutia (e.g., train
schedules, numbers, maps)
· poor non-verbal communication, including limited use of gestures and facial
expressions
· clumsy, ill-coordinated movements, odd postures or mannerisms
· difficulty establishing and maintaining eye-contact
It ir ironic that as people age quite a few of them lose all of these identifiers of aspergers, which goes to show that they are a load of crap based on things that people with aspergers can themselves fix, or are otherwise based on social norms that we do not really give a damn about in our younger years or that NTs simply fail at teaching directly.

What is amazing is how many studies say these things all of which are generalized heavily in their meaning froma practical point of view, many of which can be normal human traits depending on the person, none of which ever simply mean the same thing, none of which together imply one disorder together.

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Forth Estuary Area, Western Palearctic Archipelago, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way

16 Nov 2011, 7:21 am

Inventor wrote:
I can check off that list, and more.

What changed, is I bought my first bike at fifteen, and as a man-machine, I do well. Fifty years on the road, never hit anything. I have strange posture. sit crosslegged. It is natural for me, and a lot of others world wide.

They gave up on teaching me to write, I have printed all my life. I got good at it. I met several others that did the same, we all owned Rapidiograph ink pens. Thin line drafting pens, expensive then, now Bic makes them in several line widths.

---snip---

We are born perceptive, willing, eager to meet life, we are met with a life destroying rejection.

Some do survive, find our song, but the sorrow can be heard.

Yes, exactly. I agree, entirely.

I feel that neurotypicals are mad, merely wanting to hurt, probably to feel more powerful that something else. I'm trying not to hate both them and me. At the moment, that is hard. I do not think that we need a cure for AS. Perhaps we need a cure for their form of madness.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 8:01 am

Niall wrote:
Inventor wrote:

What changed, is I bought my first bike at fifteen, and as a man-machine, I do well. Fifty years on the road, never hit anything. I have strange posture. sit crosslegged. It is natural for me, and a lot of others world wide.

They gave up on teaching me to write, I have printed all my life. I got good at it. I met several others that did the same, we all owned Rapidiograph ink pens. Thin line drafting pens, expensive then, now Bic makes them in several line widths.

---snip---

We are born perceptive, willing, eager to meet life, we are met with a life destroying rejection.

I feel that neurotypicals are mad, merely wanting to hurt, probably to feel more powerful that something else. I'm trying not to hate both them and me. At the moment, that is hard. I do not think that we need a cure for AS. Perhaps we need a cure for their form of madness.

To be honest I would rather deal with people as individuals rather than say they are all mad.

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Forth Estuary Area, Western Palearctic Archipelago, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way

16 Nov 2011, 8:37 am

Gedrene wrote:

To be honest I would rather deal with people as individuals rather than say they are all mad.

All of them, probably not. Enough to make the lives of anyone sensitive a misery - definitely.

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Nov 2011, 9:10 am

I'm firmly on one side in this debate.

I don't see any point in reiterating the usual arguments for neurodiversity, but I read an interesting article in New Scientist recently, to the effect that the genes that code for several "disorders", with AS as a specific example, have had a major influence in human technological development.

The article is now behind a paywall, but my blog on the subject is not. This explains in some detail why I oppose "cures" and prenatal testing, and instead advocate the development of a more compassionate, nurturing, society. I hope some of this helps with your project.

http://runakuna.wordpress.com/2011/11/14/occupy-for-a-more-compassionate-society/

I'm currently struggling to stay on enough of an even keel to stay alive, but I'd rather die as me than live as a mentally emasculated drone of the dominant social structure.

My preferred option is to build a society that values and nurtures all its members, not just rich ones. Fighting for that is currently about my only reason to stay alive at the moment.

I hope this helps your project.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 9:56 am

Niall wrote:
Gedrene wrote:

All of them, probably not. Enough to make the lives of anyone sensitive a misery - definitely.

Yeah, I guess you got a point. NTs and sensitivity is a weird concept. They're sensitive about forcing the truth and insensitive about other's feelings. Many of them also aren't very good at teaching what's the right thing to do. They just bash people around the head when they don't do it 'their way'.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

16 Nov 2011, 10:06 am

Gedrene wrote:
aghogday wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
@aghogday.who was that last post directed at.it said gedrene but im the only one in the last few posts who said they play the piano

I was speaking to Gedrene.

You were saying that I play the Piano. But that's a completely load of balderdash. I don't pla the Piano and I never said that I did. That was someone else. Can you read rather than baselessly assume?
My my, it's getting rather hot around here...
Another explanation, and one requiring no temperature elevation, is that it was a simple mistake.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 10:10 am

Cornflake wrote:
My my, it's getting rather hot around here...
Another explanation, and one requiring no temperature elevation, is that it was a simple mistake.
When it becomes a habit then saying it is simply a mistake is less likely.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 12:16 pm

i think this post is illustrating the criteria for samantic pragmatic disorder,ha ha.@cornflake yea these posts are heated but both gedrene and aghgday love the intense rivalry so i usualy let it go

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

16 Nov 2011, 12:30 pm

:lol: Agreed.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 1:04 pm

Intense rivarlry? I must then have intense rivalries with fifty people on the site. Maybe I am just intense.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 1:16 pm

Gedrene wrote:
Intense rivarlry? I must then have intense rivalries with fifty people on the site. Maybe I am just intense.
you could be right,i dont post much outside politics.i would say your an intense guy.your arguement with aghogday are exciting but sometimes hard to follow.your abilities or absract thought are way above mine.honestly only one person has ever sent me a message complaining about you,so you couldnt be to bad.i enjoy you and aghoday's discouse greatly

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 3:11 pm

Niall wrote:
Inventor wrote:

---snip---

Mad, yes, wanting to hurt, no.

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Nov 2011, 3:14 pm

nostromo wrote:
Niall wrote:
Inventor wrote:

---snip---

Mad, yes, wanting to hurt, no.

So why, with their apparent ability to understand the emotions of others, are they so good at hurting others?

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 3:15 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
you could be right,i dont post much outside politics.i would say your an intense guy.your arguement with aghogday are exciting but sometimes hard to follow.your abilities or absract thought are way above mine.honestly only one person has ever sent me a message complaining about you,so you couldnt be to bad.i enjoy you and aghoday's discouse greatly

I don't enjoy it. But then again I am following the discussion quite a lot closely since I am one of the participants.