pro-cure, I'm an NT parent of an ASD child 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
anti-cure, I'm a NT parent of an ASD child 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
other 23%  23%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 64

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 8:51 pm

For the record I voted "pro cure, I am the parent of an ASD child".
Cure being a broad term, I don't believe there will be a cure as such as people imagine a complete change, but I believe there will be things that will help my son to talk again who once could.

Poet_Morpheus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2011, 12:05 am

I voted anti cure. survival o the fitest seems like a good analogy right about now. People with aspergers eventually learn to deal with what they are dealt. There are some "ethical approaches" to selective breeding that could "possiblely" take the physical conditions out of the ASD package.

and the left handed religious bs get it outta here, it has no place on wrongplanet, it makes everyone look bad , and I wonder how much perent of the world is let handed, maybe 50% or more?

just like the above at the religious comments, one person can spoil the whole group.
(observation taken from NTs)

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 12:39 am

Poet_Morpheus wrote:
I voted anti cure. survival o the fitest seems like a good analogy right about now. People with aspergers eventually learn to deal with what they are dealt. There are some "ethical approaches" to selective breeding that could "possiblely" take the physical conditions out of the ASD package.

and the left handed religious bs get it outta here, it has no place on wrongplanet, it makes everyone look bad , and I wonder how much perent of the world is let handed, maybe 50% or more?

just like the above at the religious comments, one person can spoil the whole group.
(observation taken from NTs)

A lack of fine motor control and posture issues are common physical traits with Aspergers as well as other ASD's; how do you suggest we get rid of that in Aspergers by "selective breeding"?

The left handed stuff was an analogy, not a comment to be taken literally. Analogies have their place in written communication. Approximately 10 percent of the world is left handed; that was an analogy that the folks with higher functioning autism/aspergers don't need a cure anymore than the left handers need a cure.

The majority of individuals diagnosed with Aspergers do not hold down regular employment, and many rely on their parents for support, so while there is likely not going to be a cure for Aspergers and many that would not want to see a cure, survival of the fittest, is not a good ideology for all people with Aspergers, particularly the majority that need the support of others to survive.

Ethics and morality, and what is right and wrong, is not religion unless one associates their eithics and morality with religion. I don't see anyone doing that here, in this discussion.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 4:00 am

I take it all back and swear by the left hand of CockneyRebel that leftys are cool folks.

It is those foureyed monsters who wear glasses that are the problem.

Just because there is a support for their disability, that allows them to wander among us and behave like normal people, it is an illusion, as Piggy learned in Lord of the Flies.

It keeps them from developing their natural talents, like finding things by feel.

It is a slipery slope, sure, they could see like everyone else, but then they wanted to see where no one could, like in the dark with artifical light. Then they took to lighting the streets and yards, and now blot out the Stars.

The quite and darkness of the night our ancestors knew since the beginning of time has been sacrificed to the spectacle of spectacles!

Support for the Visually Impaired has lead to the current generation of children having never seen the Stars.

What was gained by whom, what was lost to everyone?

Once people had a strong self image, took pride in being fit. Then this clothing fad started in the Mesolithic.

The social decay is obvious, they hid their filth and vermin beneath clothes, doused with fru fru water, and belted down beer bellies.

Obesity is rampant, because they can just throw a tent over it and pretend. Jabba's wardrobe by Coleman.

No one is born dressed and wearing glasses. No one is born half as wide as tall.

Look within your mind, you know the truth of ages, what image comes when you think, Naked in the Dark, beneath a stary sky? Does it need a Cure? Could you find your way by feel?

I vote maybe, maybe a couple of blankets and a good bottle of wine.

Poet_Morpheus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2011, 3:37 pm

aghogday wrote:
A lack of fine motor control and posture issues are common physical traits with Aspergers as well as other ASD's; how do you suggest we get rid of that in Aspergers by "selective breeding"?

If I had to suggest a way, I'd suggest aborting or altering the dna of individuals who couldn't physically support themselves. People who are mute, blind, deaf etc can support themselves just fine. Or just aborting the "mentally ret*d" would be fine.
Mentally ret*d is the people who are so dependent on others to do even the simplest tasks like eating dressing themselves, etc.

I'm short of youtube vids that make fun of the mentally ret*d, I believe someone posted a series of videos with a 20 yr old who had a head brace on or something and had to be restrained.

aghogday wrote:
The left handed stuff was an analogy, not a comment to be taken literally. Analogies have their place in written communication. Approximately 10 percent of the world is left handed; that was an analogy that the folks with higher functioning autism/aspergers don't need a cure anymore than the left handers need a cure.

You missed my sarcasm. I've included these definitions for you.
sarcasm-harsh or bitter derision or irony.
Irony-The expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or empathatic effect.

Please learn to troll.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 4:55 pm

Poet_Morpheus wrote:
aghogday wrote:

If I had to suggest a way, I'd suggest aborting or altering the dna of individuals who couldn't physically support themselves. People who are mute, blind, deaf etc can support themselves just fine. Or just aborting the "mentally ret*d" would be fine.
Mentally ret*d is the people who are so dependent on others to do even the simplest tasks like eating dressing themselves, etc.

I'm short of youtube vids that make fun of the mentally ret*d, I believe someone posted a series of videos with a 20 yr old who had a head brace on or something and had to be restrained.

aghogday wrote:

You missed my sarcasm. I've included these definitions for you.
sarcasm-harsh or bitter derision or irony.
Irony-The expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or empathatic effect.

Please learn to troll.

Thanks for the clarification that you were being sarcastic. Your clarifiying statement, after your statement on left handedness, I guess, was meant to show that it was sarcasm, but made little sense to me, because no one made any religious comments; it made it sound like you were confusing ethics/morality with religion, the only potential associated comments made, that potentially relate to religion.

Recent research with autism and individuals that were once considered mentally ret*d, indicate that the verbal deficits may be what cause some autistic individuals to score lower on tests that require verbal intelligence to be measured, while they do much better on non-verbal tests for intelligence, in some cases better than the general population.

I provided a link to a video of an individual that posts here by the user name anbuend, that illustrates the perception/actual intelligence issue quite well, in the other topic. Here it is again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnylM1hI2jc

Her IQ tested puts her in the less than normal range; she cannot speak, needs a great deal of support to live, but she can communicate through typing and it is obvious that the IQ test did not measure her actual intelligence for typed communication.

Altering DNA to prevent mental retardation is currently not within the realm of science, nor on the horizon of the future.

In aborting individuals that cannot support themselves, one would be getting rid of the majority of individuals diagnosed with autism and aspergers because they are not able to support themselves. 90 percent of adults with autism do not hold regular employment, and 80 percent of autistic adults depend on their parents for survival.

The amount of physical support required can range from getting dressed to preparing meals. If you are an autistic individual with a diagnosis you are in a spectrum of individuals, most that are challenged in some way or another, some more than others

There is no way to know for sure to know whether or not a child is going to have autism or if the child will be able to speak or do well on an IQ test, prenatally, and apparently no definitive way on the horizon, as far as a genetic test, so abortion is not even a possible solution one could use to eliminate autistic people with lower IQ's from the population at this time.

Research organizations are working hard to help those individuals to have better lives, however their aim is not abortion, it is prevention, intervention, therapy, and treatment.

It is very possible that the verbal deficits that come with many cases of autism, are caused by the prenatal environment more than genetics, so the potential for intervention is not beyond the realm of possibility.

DNA alteration and and a definitive genetic test for abortion, is nowhere on the scientific horizon at this point. There are 772 genetic associations for autism. The more scientists learn the less likely it is that either will ever become a reality. The understanding of the condition is just getting more complex has time goes on from a genetic standpoint.

Last edited by aghogday on 12 Nov 2011, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 5:58 pm

With all the different studies recently AFAIK, in particular with regard to boys with what we call 'Classic' Autism off the top of my head they are seeing:

- Prefrontal cortex's have way more synapses
- Brain is heavier, and head is larger
- Face has a defined symmetry
- Combination of gene markers involved but how is not known
- Unique way the blood circulates in the brain

Etc

Some of which may be wrong..but at least picture is slowly being built. Its like a foggy picture 1km away and your looking through a distorted child's telescope that came out of a Christmas cracker. But its the first image..and then you can start staggering (it is Christmas and you've had too much eggnog) in the direction of the image to learn more.

I can't help but notice at least with people I know that there's a preponderance of severely Autistic children born to parents like myself, work in tech fields, higher IQ. Theres a correlation there of as yet undetermined mechanism, at least for a certain 'type' of autism for want of a better term.
So maybe the things that make people good at being an engineer have a relationship with things that can if expressed a certain way make you unable to learn to talk or get dressed. And maybe for example we can separate them?

One of many mere speculations, but the point is we don't know what we don't know until we do. At which point we do, and what we find may make us very surprised and lead to great things - Or the dreaded NT apocalypse but I do not believe it.
But anyway chalk me down for finding out.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 9:10 pm

I think we are seeing several things as one, and that the truth of none.

I do not know has been replaced with ASD.

Changing classes is obvious, Mental Retardation has dropped as Autism has risen.

Where once it was taken as one in ten would function in the world, eight more or less with support, and one that was severe, expanding the class has pushed it toward severe.

ASDs without Autistic symptoms?

There used to be a class of Idiot, Imbecile, Moron, denoting degree of mental retardation. Earlier Eugenics movements did document that they ran in families, such as the story of the Jukes and Kaliaks. Isolated genes, low intelligence, inbreeding, produced a high number of defects.

In general this tracked back to the least in Education, IQ, Income.

More recent studies show something happening in high tech workers, University Professors, Engineers, High education, IQ, Income, and not married to their Second Cousin. Genetic diversity, but selection based on reaching the upper levels of function.

This is the second wave I have heard of, for in Victorian England, 1880-90, the early days of photography, upper class children were photographed.

These were the leading families, the Nobility, Landed Gentry.

I saw pictures of boys perhaps five or six, long hair, for they would throw a fit if it was cut, wearing a baby dress, the lump of the nappy visable beneath, sitting on the floor, unposed, all of the facial features you describe, no eye contact, no smile, a look that said I have been disturbed.

All the other children were dressed, posed, toilet trained.

By everything I know, I would say Autistic child. From the structure of the room, one wide open space, a few high and small windows, this was the attic of a big house, and this child never left. Servants tended to him, he could not care for himself. He could have well been non verbal and given to outbursts. The photographer seemed to be back farther than usual for the period. The child had a look like you have intruded on my space.

During World War I. he became First Lord of the Admirality.

Most photos are of the upper classes, but many exist of the common folk, working in the coal mines and mills at six or seven, with faces that look forty. All of the lower class seem much older than their years, while upper class children are often wearing baby clothes at six, girls dressed exactly like their mothers at seventeen, holding their doll, looking twelve, and married that year.

Neotony has been mentioned in Autism, extended childhoods, not outgrowing the toys of youth, and being slow to develop by outward view.

They were a class apart, and besides photos are documented in history. Married, that girl with her doll became Lady Jane, had a big house, a great fortune, and through her writings, worked to end child labor in the mines, establish public education, Public Health, votes for women, advances in Science and Letters, and continued playing with her dolls. At forty, she looked twenty.

Looking at school pictures, by decade you can see the children looking younger and younger.

Just in my time, 66, I remember some baby faced teens, and now see the same in the twenties.

This change was lead by an educated upper class, that could afford to just let their children grow up at their own speed, supported them through an extended childhood, and they in turn gave much to the children of the lower classes. No matter what, the oldest son inhereted everything, humor him.

There are parallels with the life of Bill Gates. His parents have dropped a few hints, our child we just left in the celler and did not disturb, tried to educate, who skipped school to visit the engineers at the phone company, without permission, and having a paid ticket to Harvard, dropped out first symester, and took up with some long hair people in Arizona. Education money was spent on a Porche.

They left out toilet training, haircuts, and likely a lot more.

I think we are dealing with at least two things that have very little in common. It does the parents of one a great disservice to compare thier child to the inbred birth defects of Juke Hollow, W. VA.

I have read the Biography of Bucky Fuller, at seventeen he spent a year's Trust income, all he had, taking all of the showgirls out for dinner, all of them, and was stone broke after. Upper class family, high intelligence, and I will bet his childhood was hard on the servants. His family made him get a job and work for money, something none had done in generations.

There are a lot of other stories to compare what is showing up in our new rich high tech families, long known in the Aristocracy, the multi generation wealthy, where some great minds start as children, and take their time to savor and enjoy, fully explore, what this being human is about.

Allowing this to be defined by people with Degrees in Marketing and Psych has lead to them trying to grow the business, and they were never Math or Engineering, Hard Science, types.

Nor have they read history, explored the lives of high achivers, or looked at thousands of photographs. As you mention, research has only lately and vaugely gotten some idea of what they were looking for, while I can see my own kind with ease.

Upper intelligence and neotony seem to run together with a neotony of social development, but it all catches up later.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 10:37 pm

Inventor wrote:
I think we are seeing several things as one, and that the truth of none.

I do not know has been replaced with ASD.

Changing classes is obvious, Mental Retardation has dropped as Autism has risen.

Where once it was taken as one in ten would function in the world, eight more or less with support, and one that was severe, expanding the class has pushed it toward severe.

ASDs without Autistic symptoms?

There used to be a class of Idiot, Imbecile, Moron, denoting degree of mental retardation. Earlier Eugenics movements did document that they ran in families, such as the story of the Jukes and Kaliaks. Isolated genes, low intelligence, inbreeding, produced a high number of defects.

In general this tracked back to the least in Education, IQ, Income.

More recent studies show something happening in high tech workers, University Professors, Engineers, High education, IQ, Income, and not married to their Second Cousin. Genetic diversity, but selection based on reaching the upper levels of function.

This is the second wave I have heard of, for in Victorian England, 1880-90, the early days of photography, upper class children were photographed.

These were the leading families, the Nobility, Landed Gentry.

I saw pictures of boys perhaps five or six, long hair, for they would throw a fit if it was cut, wearing a baby dress, the lump of the nappy visable beneath, sitting on the floor, unposed, all of the facial features you describe, no eye contact, no smile, a look that said I have been disturbed.

All the other children were dressed, posed, toilet trained.

By everything I know, I would say Autistic child. From the structure of the room, one wide open space, a few high and small windows, this was the attic of a big house, and this child never left. Servants tended to him, he could not care for himself. He could have well been non verbal and given to outbursts. The photographer seemed to be back farther than usual for the period. The child had a look like you have intruded on my space.

During World War I. he became First Lord of the Admirality.

Most photos are of the upper classes, but many exist of the common folk, working in the coal mines and mills at six or seven, with faces that look forty. All of the lower class seem much older than their years, while upper class children are often wearing baby clothes at six, girls dressed exactly like their mothers at seventeen, holding their doll, looking twelve, and married that year.

Neotony has been mentioned in Autism, extended childhoods, not outgrowing the toys of youth, and being slow to develop by outward view.

They were a class apart, and besides photos are documented in history. Married, that girl with her doll became Lady Jane, had a big house, a great fortune, and through her writings, worked to end child labor in the mines, establish public education, Public Health, votes for women, advances in Science and Letters, and continued playing with her dolls. At forty, she looked twenty.

Looking at school pictures, by decade you can see the children looking younger and younger.

Just in my time, 66, I remember some baby faced teens, and now see the same in the twenties.

This change was lead by an educated upper class, that could afford to just let their children grow up at their own speed, supported them through an extended childhood, and they in turn gave much to the children of the lower classes. No matter what, the oldest son inhereted everything, humor him.

There are parallels with the life of Bill Gates. His parents have dropped a few hints, our child we just left in the celler and did not disturb, tried to educate, who skipped school to visit the engineers at the phone company, without permission, and having a paid ticket to Harvard, dropped out first symester, and took up with some long hair people in Arizona. Education money was spent on a Porche.

They left out toilet training, haircuts, and likely a lot more.

I think we are dealing with at least two things that have very little in common. It does the parents of one a great disservice to compare thier child to the inbred birth defects of Juke Hollow, W. VA.

I have read the Biography of Bucky Fuller, at seventeen he spent a year's Trust income, all he had, taking all of the showgirls out for dinner, all of them, and was stone broke after. Upper class family, high intelligence, and I will bet his childhood was hard on the servants. His family made him get a job and work for money, something none had done in generations.

There are a lot of other stories to compare what is showing up in our new rich high tech families, long known in the Aristocracy, the multi generation wealthy, where some great minds start as children, and take their time to savor and enjoy, fully explore, what this being human is about.

Allowing this to be defined by people with Degrees in Marketing and Psych has lead to them trying to grow the business, and they were never Math or Engineering, Hard Science, types.

Nor have they read history, explored the lives of high achivers, or looked at thousands of photographs. As you mention, research has only lately and vaugely gotten some idea of what they were looking for, while I can see my own kind with ease.

Upper intelligence and neotony seem to run together with a neotony of social development, but it all catches up later.

http://www.neoteny.org/ The guy that pursued this theory, Andrew Lehman, is a member here. It appears he had some health problems, not sure how that ended up.

Relevant is Samuel Baron Cohen's research on Autism and the influence of prenatal testosterone. And maternal stress and the relationship to higher levels of prenatal testosterone.

Another issue is that testosterone levels for middle aged men have dropped by about half since before the 1950's.

A third issue, it is apparent that the chemicals introduced into the environment, particularly pesticides in the middle of the last century, antibiotics, and plastics are known to affect human hormonal levels. And, are having an obvious impact on amphibians, more succeptible to exposure.

Fourth, is that since the development of the pill in the 1960's, not only has child birth been delayed 7 or 8 years later on average, but there is also research that suggests that women on the pill, absent ovulation, are less likely to choose mates with higher testosterone levels.

-With the legal right to abortions, reproductive control leading to dual income families, a nomadic way of life, smaller extended families, less emotional support for families; potentially all contributing to maternal stress and changes in prenatal hormone levels.

Fifth, is that studies completely unrelated to autism already indicate that prenatal testosterone affects brain development and language development.

Sixth, high levels and low levels of testosterone are related to lower IQ scores.

Seventh, obesity levels and the effect on hormones in men and women.

And finally neuroplasticity, resulting from a stimulating culture, beyond the imagination of any of our ancestors.

Neoteny is another word for the domestication of human beings, which in general has been evidenced in the archaeological record of humans since the advent of agriculture.

Natural selection, though is no longer the only factor that affects this, our cultural by-products affect whole body systems through the changes in endocrine balance.

Interestingly just the factor of famine, as I remember from a research article in discover magazine, can influence the longevity of children, however contrary to what one might expect it leads to longer lives for the next generation rather that shorter lives.

The famine factor is nothing new for human beings, but never have the levels of obesity been as high as they are now in developed countries.

As one that notices patterns, I agree with Inventor, it is striking to look at pictures of school age children from grammar school to highschool in the middle of the last century decade by decade until the present day time.

I started to notice this in the 70's but as one looks back a few decades before that it is even more noticeable. It's even noticeable in Television as one looks through the decades of characters within TV shows.

I'm not exactly sure what all of this together means specifically for autism, but the synergistic impact of all these manmade factors in just the last 60 years, and so many more I would probably never think about, is potentially changing the face of mankind, faster than any natural selection process in the last several thousand years.

I see it as an unwitting human experiment where we are all the subject of the experiment to some degree, well beyond the control of anyone.

Andrew Lehman's user name here is AndreL9. He discussed his neoteny theory of autism in one thread on this site. I Just found it, and it's striking in how it offers explanations for the larger brain size in some autistic children, the lack of pruning of neurons in the brain resulting in excessive neurons in some autistic children, how a matrilocal society is associated with higher levels of testosterone in women and how a patrilocal society is associated lower testosterone levels in women.

He suggests that raised levels of prenatal estrogen lead to the brain differences in some autistic children. He also provides reasoning why there is a maturational delay in some autistic boys and a maturational acceleration in some autistic girls, resulting in masculinized females and feminized males. After visiting this site for almost a year, the postings here seem relevant to much of his what his theory purports to explain.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postxf112334-0-15.html

Last edited by aghogday on 13 Nov 2011, 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 12:35 am

My wife was so sick from 7 - 16 weeks that she lost 10kg and was eventually hospitalised, put on anti nausea drugs normally used for cancer patients (ondansetron) and tube fed. I did my best to keep her hydrated before that..she couldnt take water, I did things like made coca cola 'soup' she could slurp. Aside from her suffering which didnt seem to matter to the drs, they assured us theres no impact to the unborn child. Now I read so much that contradicts this :(

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 2:38 am

nostromo wrote:
My wife was so sick from 7 - 16 weeks that she lost 10kg and was eventually hospitalised, put on anti nausea drugs normally used for cancer patients (ondansetron) and tube fed. I did my best to keep her hydrated before that..she couldnt take water, I did things like made coca cola 'soup' she could slurp. Aside from her suffering which didnt seem to matter to the drs, they assured us theres no impact to the unborn child. Now I read so much that contradicts this :(

I'm personally convinced the prenatal environment has somekind of impact, my mother was extremely stressed during the pregnancies of myself and my sister. Overwhelmed by motherhood, work, and my father who wasn't mean, but never talked during their three year marriage; both he and his father had every sign of Aspergers, but not with the language delay that I had, that put me out of the Asperger category.

Both my sister and I have the low digit ratio in our right hand and a normal one in our left hand, indicative of prenatal hormonal influence. I was diagnosed with Aspergers first at age 47 and then with PDD NOS when the doctor found out about the verbal delay, and my sister was diagnosed with Aspergers at age 50.

Both my sister and I have Giant heads for our bodies, and have retained our neonotonous appearance into our fifties.

My wife was working 16 hour days during her pregnancy and our child got the brunt of almost everything possibly associated, co-morbid issue with autism.

My personal theory is the developing child's brain can be influenced by surges of both estrogen and testosterone during development depending on the nature of the stress and situation during different stages of pregnancy, although I do think the language delay is much more prevalent in males than females.

I personally think that it runs in families, but is expressed at different levels, in part because of the prenatal environment, and whatever other environmental factors that may be at play. It was obvious that my father and his twin brother were different than any body else when I was growing up but it's not something I could ever put my finger on until I learned about Aspergers. I often got the same responses from people, your strange, but not in a bad way.

I could never really see it in myself but I could sense something different in my sister, neither my sister or I were particularly aware of ourselves, which is something I think only a person with autism can truly understand. And part of the necessity, I think of having a continous outside interest to keep one focused in life.

My father rarely spoke but he had a look in his eyes like he understood the secrets of the world, although he never pursued education after highschool. His father was a well known intellectual in his time, but known for his eccentricities as well.

I'm not sure how old your son is, but hopefully like me, he will suddenly develop the ability for some language at a later age in life.

I really didn't get comfortable with speaking until I was forty, but still managed to get three college degrees, and eventually become financially independent, so If your son is still fairly young and non-verbal, I hope that he will gain the swan song later that Inventor commented on earlier.

While I couldn't talk until I was four, I remember a clear symbolic undertanding of the world at a younger age, I can't remember it as language but just the pictures of the world, where I felt I had been here already forever and was part of everything. Although your son might not speak, he could also have a similiar understanding as well. Hopefully things will get easier for him.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 4:47 am

Patterns through time. The Scandanavian famine study showed results into the fifth generation, and they an isolated people, with a one time event.

This is an experiment in madness being run from a thousand sources, all seeking something for today, and holding no concern for the future. As seen in the bumper sticker, "Let the Bastards freeze in the dark."

I was born in 45, War Rations for years before, three atomic bombs mark my birth, and millions dying in what Jager called a crossfire hurricane.

From the long past, "War breeds heros." Babies born during troubled times were noted to be different. Stress spreads into the womb, preparing to adapt to change.

Women do become men when the men go off and many die, roles come with hormones.

There is a much larger pool of intelligence that is sleeping, until the structure of life falls apart. Also dumb soldiers do not make it home. A Post War Surge of Economy and Invention is often noted.

It stands out in other times, ours has been a constant of war for profit, and all the waves are striking the beach at once.

Our part in World War II only lasted a couple of years. Korea, rotated troops, to avoid the battle fatigue of WWII, Nam one tour and never again, and now our current troops, spending the last decade mostly in Iraq, Afganistan, tour after tour, and many called back after their enlistment was over. There are going to be many results from that experiment.

Now mass employment stress, trapped in a losing game.

Pogo summed it up, "We have met the enemy, and they is us."

Europe has pure food laws, we have unregulated Food Additives.

80,000 new chemical compounds a year, new for Earth, none tested, till maybe ten years after they have been proven to be causing massive damage. Only a long haired commie pinko would attack our Great Nation and Flag of God suggesting that dumping PCBs and Dioxen in rivers could cause any problems.

Government and industry became one during WWII. What is good for General Motors is good for the US.

It is a badly staged play to keep a few in power.

Having stolen everything in the present, the future, they now will turn on each other, all that is left, and the winner will get to live in the rubble with the mutant survivors.

As you sow, so shall you reap.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 5:08 am

aghogday wrote:

The Somali reference and theory is interesting. From other sources it seems there is unusually elevated Autism levels peculiar to the expat Somali community. Even in my city there is the tiniest of Somali communities accepted as refugees, yet there is an Autistic Somali girl at the holiday programme my son goes to.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 5:37 am

aghogday wrote:
I really didn't get comfortable with speaking until I was forty, but still managed to get three college degrees, and eventually become financially independent, so If your son is still fairly young and non-verbal, I hope that he will gain the swan song later that Inventor commented on earlier.

No wonder you took that no-verbal as somehow being borderline :/ I was outpacing my peers verbally by age seven after a slow start.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 9:02 am

I don't think a "cure" is possible. Even if there was a cure, I would refuse it because (in my head) theres nothing wrong with me. Its everybody else who has a problem, they're the corrupt ones who won't accept anything that is outside the familiar and mainstream. Cure me?! Bah. They are the ones who need cured of their ignorance!

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 10:12 am

ScientistOfSound wrote:
I don't think a "cure" is possible. Even if there was a cure, I would refuse it because (in my head) theres nothing wrong with me. Its everybody else who has a problem, they're the corrupt ones who won't accept anything that is outside the familiar and mainstream. Cure me?! Bah. They are the ones who need cured of their ignorance!

Many mentally sick people use the same justification. Whilst I too like to think that I am not damaged (nothing is certain), may I hear the examples that helped you to reach your justification? Just as a reminder.