Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 2:31 am

Parents upset after teen with Asperger's arrested for altercation with teacher

Quote:
The teen has been diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome, ADHD and bipolar disorder, which can lead him to lash out, according to his father, Bryan Gelfand.

Based on the quote this might not have been his first fight or his first fight with a teacher. My inclination is the crimimal justice system is not the best way to deal with this. A long suspension or taking him out of the mainstream school comes to mind. But I really do not truly know his condition or his history or the disability laws and regulations in Florida.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 1:00 pm

This is more than just *he got a little hot headed*.

My district does not play with any student assaulting a teacher, disabled or not. The police charges are a paper trail to get the kid removed from the school. My district would punt a teen like this to the alternative high school.

It sounds like the teen is still in juvenile detention, which is REALLY interesting. Why wasn't he bonded out? I'd be curious about the misdemeanors and the felony charge.

Florida does not play with people assaulting police/civil servants. Hope the teen had an IEP in place and it wasn't followed. Otherwise he's f*cked.