Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 8:16 pm

Ganondox wrote:
MindBlind wrote:
You can't fight it. You can't stop people from saying offensive things. So the best thing to do is own it. Just like how black people call each other "n****r" sometimes and just like gays call each other "queer" or even "fag", we should own "ret*d". Only then does its stigma fizzle away.

The semantics of a words can only change if we change it.

I'm not afraid of a word and I don't think we should let society make us afraid of it either.

Just a suggestion.

But we aren't ret*d, many of us are the polar opposite, so using it that way would be EXTREMELY offensive to people who actually are ret*d.

I know we aren't mentally ret*d (at least most of us). that's not the point. The point is that we don't have to censor anyone. We can be the better people and play along. Yes, its a stupid misunderstanding but in my experience, I've learned that the best way to deal with this stuff is to act like the word doesn't offend you because nothing pisses off a bully more than knowing their tactics don't work.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 12:30 pm

League_Girl wrote:
But what if someone really did think they are ret*d? I thought when I was 14 I was and I wasn't happy about it. After years of being called that by kids, I had started to think they were probably right and I was. I don't think I was showing disrespect. All I got was that I wasn't ret*d and I kept being told I am very smart. Then my mother had to remind me I have Asperger's.

You said you were not ret*d, but your mother said you were because you have aspergers. Not only is your mother wrong on medical grounds, but your mother called you ret*d. That sounds vindictive, in fact callous for a real mother to say.

League_Girl wrote:
You said we are showing disrespect if we call ourselves that
Well to put it frankly, you are. You're trivializing actual mental retardation, which is a severe lack in IQ, something that if an autistic expresses is seperate from the autism diagnosis itself.

Low functioning people when able to communicate are shown to have an IQ often above the very low threshold below which children are called ret*d. Equating autism and mental retardation belongs to the 50s, nothing more than quack science by today's standards. It's the sort of incompetent thinking that would have held back Temple Grandin.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 12:55 pm

can we avoid calling other peoples mothers vindictive or whatever.come on,how tasteless

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 2:11 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
can we avoid calling other peoples mothers vindictive or whatever.come on,how tasteless
What is tasteless is a mother who calls their child ret*d because they have asperger's. Not only is it medically negligent it's purely offensive.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 2:14 pm

Gedrene wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
What is tasteless is a mother who calls their child ret*d because they have asperger's. Not only is it medically negligent it's purely offensive.
but your still talking about someone elses mother

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 2:16 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
The mother called their child a ret*d

And the mother wasn't even right

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 2:20 pm

Gedrene wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

i didnt say it was,thats not the point.its still someones mother

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 2:32 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

I didn't say that you said anything. I said the mother called their child a ret*d and they were wrong and that's pathetic.

Unless you think a mother calling an autistic child a ret*d is fine. And I would wonder why a supposed autistic person would say that

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 2:48 pm

Gedrene wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

I didn't say that you said anything. I said the mother called their child a ret*d and they were wrong and that's pathetic.

Unless you think a mother calling an autistic child a ret*d is fine. And I would wonder why a supposed autistic person would say that
i told you,its not about whether its wrong to call an autistic ret*d.i agree thats wrong.calling another persons mother names online is wrong too.what about that obvious fact dont you get

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 3:19 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

i told you,its not about whether its wrong to call an autistic ret*d.i agree thats wrong.calling another persons mother names online is wrong too.what about that obvious fact dont you get
It has everything to do with it. It's your problem that you're trying to ignore the fact that the mother called their child a ret*d falsely in order to, ironically, level a charge of name-calling at me.

If you had actually been reading I was criticizing the action, not the person. So your accusation that I had called the mother names was false.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 3:28 pm

Gedrene wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

It has everything to do with it. It's your problem that you're trying to ignore the fact that the mother called their child a ret*d falsely in order to, ironically, level a charge of name-calling at me.

If you had actually been reading I was criticizing the action, not the person. So your accusation that I had called the mother names was false.
you said league girls mother was vindictive.i define that as wrong to say about someone's family.i agree that it was wrong for a mother to call there kid a ret*d.let me put it this way,one of my sisters wont even speak to me but if someone here insulted her i would be mad.my wife has sais bad things about me in arguements and vice versa.i would never alow someone to put her down here or anywhere.get it.im tired of this arguement

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 3:34 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
you said league girls mother was vindictive.

No I said, that it sounds vindictive for a real mother to say. I was talking about the words, not the person. Read it yourself if you don't believe me.

Unless of course you're still going to desperately ignore the irony of you saying it's wrong to call a mother names who called her own child a ret*d falsely

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 3:37 pm

Gedrene wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

No I said, that it sounds vindictive for a real mother to say. I was talking about the words, not the person. Read it yourself if you don't believe me.

Unless of course you're still going to desperately ignore the irony of you saying it's wrong to call a mother names who called her own child a ret*d falsely
exactly sherlock you solved the case.the implication behind your statement was that league girls mother wasnt a real or compitent mother.i read the post well,dont insult my inteligence.just because i cant spell doesnt mean im stupid

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 3:47 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

exactly sherlock you solved the case.the implication behind your statement was that league girls mother wasnt a real or compitent mother.i read the post well,dont insult my inteligence.just because i cant spell doesnt mean im stupid
You tell me not to patronize you despite having just said exactly sherlock.

You first accused me of calling someone vindictive, when I infact said that the action was vindictive. Now you try and argue that I was implying she was vindictive. I am not going to be baited in to a word game. It's your problem, again, that you can't accept the irony of defending a mother from insults who called her child a ret*d for no reason, despite any rationalization you make

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 4:05 pm

Gedrene wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

You tell me not to patronize you despite having just said exactly sherlock.

You first accused me of calling someone vindictive, when I infact said that the action was vindictive. Now you try and argue that I was implying she was vindictive. I am not going to be baited in to a word game. It's your problem, again, that you can't accept the irony of defending a mother from insults who called her child a ret*d for no reason, despite any rationalization you make
ok whatever im not going to argue further,but i made my point and you know im right and more importantly the patriots just beat the bills 49 to 21 and clinch home field advantage through out the playoffs

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 5:10 pm

Bind and gag them.