Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

BWV1007
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jan 2012, 3:16 am

In an interesting profile from last September's issue of Wired, Dan Harmon, creator of the awesome NBC show Community discusses how he learned about Asperger's and realized he may have it himself while creating the character of Abed, among other things. It's an interesting read, especially for viewers of the show, and I thought others may enjoy it: http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/09/mf_harmon/all/1

RobotGreenAlien2
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jan 2012, 6:50 am

Thanks it goes inti his career in a Lot of detail but gets realy interesting (as related) in the last 1/3rd.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 9:26 am

I have this issue... I skimmed his process but wasn't interested enough to read it in depth.

But they do not have me

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 2:22 am

Very interesting article - thanks.

-- Emerson

Sagroth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 4:18 am

Ah, neat. I remember Mr Harmon's work from back when he worked with Rob Schraub on the "Scud: The Disposable Assassin" comic book.

Dedalus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jan 2012, 3:12 pm

That's cool! Community is great. As much as he's a plot device, I think Abed is a fun and important character to have around. If Dan Harmon has it too, all the better.

The more the mainstream hears about Asperger's the less 'Other' it becomes, and the easier everyone's life is; so cases like this are great.

theseeker
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jan 2012, 11:57 am

[/quote]The more the mainstream hears about Asperger's the less 'Other' it becomes, and the easier everyone's life is; so cases like this are great.[quote]

Definitely! What I really like about Abed is that he shows that those on the spectrum have strengths to offer, and importantly, not necessarily intellectually handicapped. Notably, Abed's weaknesses also shown from time to time, which somewhat dispels the notion that having Aspergers is akin to having a superpower (admitting, those border-line instances of him almost having a superpower derived from his aspergers).

Embroglio
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jan 2012, 11:15 pm

theseeker wrote:
The more the mainstream hears about Asperger's the less 'Other' it becomes, and the easier everyone's life is; so cases like this are great.
Quote:

Definitely! What I really like about Abed is that he shows that those on the spectrum have strengths to offer, and importantly, not necessarily intellectually handicapped. Notably, Abed's weaknesses also shown from time to time, which somewhat dispels the notion that having Aspergers is akin to having a superpower (admitting, those border-line instances of him almost having a superpower derived from his aspergers).

Nice thing about Abed is it dispels the myth of those with Aspergers as being friendless nerds. Abed isn't shown as super intelligent and he actually has a social life. And even an extremely close friend in Troy.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 12:13 am

Oh, hell, we're not "Other." Or, rather, we've only recently become "Other." Since the late '90s or thereabout. We're in the mainstream, always have been.

Just-- not exactly in a good way.

Larry Linville: "You have to ask yourself: Do I know Frank Burns in my own life? If the answer is, 'Yes,' then Frank is not a cartoon, never has been."

Name that TV reference. For someone who does't like TV, I've got a million of 'em.

>>edited twice for grammar<<

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 12:28 am

M*A*S*H

I love Abed - and I agree his has his quirks and his special interests but he's quite well received and definitely a member of the group. They give him respect.

-- Emerson