Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

PaulaDurbin-Westby
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Mar 2012, 11:50 am

This has been a difficult few weeks. It seems that every few days an Autistic teen, child, or young adult has been murdered, shot by the police, etc. I can't post the link, but a teen aged 15 was shot last night in the Chicago area. As both a mother and an Autistic person, this is just breaking my heart. I hope people here can participate in some of the vigils that are being sponsored by ASAN on March 30.

I will post the link as soon as I am able to post them.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 12:21 pm

I guess I don't understand why it matters that he had Autism. He was shooting at the police. What else were they supposed to do at that point? It would have happened if he were a 36 year old millionaire business owner with no disabilities. His Autism seems rather irrelevant to the incident.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 12:34 pm

Link, please?

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 12:35 pm

MrXxx wrote:
I guess I don't understand why it matters that he had Autism. He was shooting at the police. What else were they supposed to do at that point? It would have happened if he were a 36 year old millionaire business owner with no disabilities. His Autism seems rather irrelevant to the incident.

That's what I thought about it.

PaulaDurbin-Westby

22 Mar 2012, 12:49 pm

He was not shooting at the police. That would be a bit more understandable.
Actually, this happened Feb. 7. Someone posted it today so I thought it was today. It might be old news already to some people. Sorry about that. The link I have is to a news clip that was posted on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffCh13ReR8o

krex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 3:21 pm

I thought it was hysterical that the reporter said the police were aware of the individuals autism and had been trained in how to deal with it.....evidently their training says....."Shot them in the head".....I think this officer may have gotten his training mixed up because that is what your supposed to do for Zombie attacks , not autistic attacks .

Is it just me or does it seem like police are becoming cowards...I have recently heard of them killing or charging with a felony, autistic people who have "attacked" them by waving a rake in their direction, pulling out nail clippers and now a butter knife . Do they really think that any of these people were going to do them such grievous bodily harm that their cuts or a scratch out weighed that persons life . Seriously, I understand the principle of self defense but wouldn't most humans risk a small injury to save another persons life ? If I killed every one of my cats who ever scratched or nipped at me, I'm pretty sure that I would be arrested for animal cruelty .

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Genesis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2012, 4:21 pm

PaulaDurbin-Westby wrote:
This has been a difficult few weeks. It seems that every few days an Autistic teen, child, or young adult has been murdered, shot by the police, etc. I can't post the link, but a teen aged 15 was shot last night in the Chicago area. As both a mother and an Autistic person, this is just breaking my heart. I hope people here can participate in some of the vigils that are being sponsored by ASAN on March 30.

I will post the link as soon as I am able to post them.

I live in the Chicago Suburbs, and I remember hearing about this.... Kinda was surprised, that it would happen so close.... :(

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 5:22 pm

Aha! I just googled "15 year old Autistic boy shot by police," and came up with a story I assumed was the one you were talking about. Didn't bother to look at WHERE it actually happened. This one DID just happen a couple of days ago, but was near SLC Utah.

http://fox13now.com/2012/03/19/mother-s ... ad-autism/

That's what I was commenting on. There's another thread here somewhere about the one you were talking about.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt188837.html

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

PaulaDurbin-Westby

22 Mar 2012, 9:29 pm

Thanks for posting that. Not that it makes my day any better. :(

Dreamslost
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Mar 2012, 11:34 pm

Th article no matter when posted was relevant in pointing out wrong methods used by law enforcement with autisitics. All of these situations with autistics could bed solved without any weapons at all. knowing defense against armed with things other then guns helps and there are many disarming techniques used by law enforcement other parts of the world most like USA is brit methods without guns. Bottom line is guns for autistic problems is wrong. If i was there and dealt with situation i would have walk in hands wide open and dealt with the autistic in a manner suited to the person namely if i was there i would try to get doctors descriptive of type of autism. But it seems almost normal autistic spectrums without words recognise each other even if we dont know what each other has.