Autism squeaks, but it's better than Autism Squeaks speaking

Page 1 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Nurylon
Raven
Raven

06 Jul 2012, 8:23 pm

...for us.

Here are the reasons summed up why we must not support Autism Squeaks.

List of reasons not to support Autism Speaks (aka Autism Squeaks, Autism Shrieks, etc)

1. They told me to say nothing if I had nothing positive to say about Autism Speaks. I tell them to say something postive about autism. I didn’t, however, tell them to not speak if they had nothing good to say about it, just that they should not spread FALSE propaganda that autism ruins lives and marriages and families, that autistics are hopeless without their treatments (some of which are abusive).
2. They threatened at least two autistic people (one who made a parody of the Autism Speaks website and another who made a t-shirt saying he didn’t need Autism Speaks because he was autistic and could speak for himself). The two people came out triumphant, however… there’s this little thing called fair use that includes parodies and comments.
3. They say autism is a negative thing.
4. They propose some abusive treatments for some autistics, or all.
5. They are trying to develop a genetic test that will ensure that nobody autistic is ever born again on this planet. Even if it is meant to simply plan for the child’s life, the truth is that there are a lot of ignorant people out there who will abort their children after learning they are autistic.
6. The corporate greed is the reason Autism Speaks exists. They want us to think there is a crisis to direct our attention away from their scam. We are not a tragedy. The same with other things, like gangs, school shootings, missing children, etc. They use that stuff to get our attention away from the bigger issues... THEM. Also, they want us to believe we are a tragedy so that money can be made for or given to them to erase us from the world, when really they want that money for themselves... corporate greed.
7. They also don't let all autistics speak for themselves, and claim to speak for autistics even tho they are NT, but they will not let autistics speak for other autistics, saying we can't speak for them.
8. They think treatment is the only chance for certain, most or all autistics to lead a productive/meaningful/functional life, when some people who are severely “low-functioning” grow up to be extremely high functioning with NO help whatsoever.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 11:19 pm

Autism Speaks will never speak for me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 6:40 am

Autism squeaks???

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 6:42 am

The stories about their finances, ethics, ruthlessness, and point #8 in the opening post alone is why AS website will never speak for me.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 6:54 am

(Thread from from General Autism discussion to Autism Politics, Activism, and Media Representation)

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 2:51 pm

Nurylon wrote:
...for us.

Quote:
3. They say autism is a negative thing.

Disability, which some autistics are burdened with, is a negative thing.

Quote:
4. They propose some abusive treatments for some autistics, or all.

What abusive treatments?

Quote:
5. They are trying to develop a genetic test that will ensure that nobody autistic is ever born again on this planet. Even if it is meant to simply plan for the child’s life, the truth is that there are a lot of ignorant people out there who will abort their children after learning they are autistic.

I've had enough of this anti-abortion hysteria.

Quote:
6. The corporate greed is the reason Autism Speaks exists. They want us to think there is a crisis to direct our attention away from their scam. We are not a tragedy. The same with other things, like gangs, school shootings, missing children, etc. They use that stuff to get our attention away from the bigger issues... THEM. Also, they want us to believe we are a tragedy so that money can be made for or given to them to erase us from the world, when really they want that money for themselves... corporate greed.

There is a crisis. It is real. It exists outside of ivory tower "positive thinking". There are tragedies befalling many out there. Money has to be raised to fund research which will lead to cure. Money is fundamental to our economy. Hierarchy in aptitude should be erased. Autism Speaks is not a corporation.
Quote:
7. They also don't let all autistics speak for themselves, and claim to speak for autistics even tho they are NT, but they will not let autistics speak for other autistics, saying we can't speak for them.
They can't stop any autistic from speaking for themselves. You're speaking right now. Language impairments do prevent many autistics from speaking for themselves.

Quote:
8. They think treatment is the only chance for certain, most or all autistics to lead a productive/meaningful/functional life, when some people who are severely “low-functioning” grow up to be extremely high functioning with NO help whatsoever.

Treatment is the only chance for many autistics to lead such a life, particularly those who tend to be lower-functioning. And not all of the low-functioning get to grow up to be geniuses, who then get by in life with no effort. Autism is not a childhood disorder.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 4:31 pm

there is no point in arguing with someone who denies any evidence presented t them and agrees with himself on every piece of evidence he presents.

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 4:45 pm

Do you have something to say?

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 5:03 pm

no. not really. that was the point of my post. i don't see any point in saying stuff to you. if you want to here is all the information from the above post in this site. read through it yourself. https://sites.google.com/site/notautismspeaks/demean

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 5:12 pm

I've read that exaggerated crap before.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 5:15 pm

see my point exactly. i guess it is exaggerated if you hate yourself and autism... and have no respect for those who think otherwise.

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 5:22 pm

It's not sufficient. You have no significant alternative of value to anyone who isn't in your club of prosperous aspies. I don't need those like you to dominate me. I'm plain sick of it. I want my cut of success. I won't be pleased by being handed down help from those like you and your NT co-conspirators.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 5:44 pm

wait a minute. you're making several assumptions here. for one i don't have any friends who are NT. NTs all look down on me and spit on me. and i'm 16, so obviously i don't make money. so, who are you? who are you to say i don't deserve to live. what do you do. where do you work? autism speaks?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

07 Jul 2012, 5:46 pm

Calm down please. Let's not have this descend into personal insults.

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 5:52 pm

aspie48 wrote:
wait a minute. you're making several assumptions here. for one i don't have any friends who are NT. NTs all look down on me and spit on me. and i'm 16, so obviously i don't make money. so, who are you? who are you to say i don't deserve to live. what do you do. where do you work? autism speaks?

I didn't make any assumptions. I didn't say any of the things you imply that I said. We do not know much of the specifics of each others' circumstances.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 6:00 pm

dalurker wrote:
I didn't make any assumptions. I didn't say any of the things you imply that I said. We do not know much of the specifics of each others' circumstances.
then why did you say i was prosperous? or conspiring with NTs? for a person who claims to want to be NT so bad its funny that you would use association with NTs as an insult.