Other. Please provide comment. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 4:20 pm

http://www.disabilityscoop.com/2012/08/07/autism-end-to-infighting/16186/

Quote:
The Autism Society wants to bring together all of the major autism organizations to establish a series of joint goals.

“The infighting that a lot of times characterizes the autism community needs to stop,” said Scott Badesch, president of the Autism Society. “Until we come together, we’re not going to be able to move the needle on enhancing autism services.”

Tension has been brewing for years with parents and even professionals at odds over everything from possible causes of the developmental disorder to whether precious dollars should be spent on research or services for those on the spectrum.

As a result, Badesch said he sees many other interest groups getting a stronger reception locally and in Congress, citing elderly Americans and the gay and lesbian community as examples. By working together with a united front, Badesch said he hopes autism advocates can be more productive.

The Autism Society is calling for leaders of national organizations to come together in the same way that many companies, for example, work together through industry trade groups. While each organization would retain its own agenda and perspective, the community could work collectively to achieve specific objectives.

Badesch’s group is reaching out to other stakeholders at present to gauge interest. He said the initial response has been positive but declined to offer specifics.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 4:22 pm

ha ha ha precious dollars.....just had to laugh at that, don't really have anything on topic to say about it yet.

KaminariNoKage
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Aug 2012, 5:20 pm

Well, we all know how well meetings have done for society.
Let us just hope there are some actual ASD representatives there - and they don't come up with something crazy like "fixing these poor people."

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 7:27 am

aghogday wrote:
http://www.disabilityscoop.com/2012/08/07/autism-end-to-infighting/16186/

Quote:
The Autism Society wants to bring together all of the major autism organizations to establish a series of joint goals.

“The infighting that a lot of times characterizes the autism community needs to stop,” said Scott Badesch, president of the Autism Society. “Until we come together, we’re not going to be able to move the needle on enhancing autism services.”

Tension has been brewing for years with parents and even professionals at odds over everything from possible causes of the developmental disorder to whether precious dollars should be spent on research or services for those on the spectrum.

As a result, Badesch said he sees many other interest groups getting a stronger reception locally and in Congress, citing elderly Americans and the gay and lesbian community as examples. By working together with a united front, Badesch said he hopes autism advocates can be more productive.

The Autism Society is calling for leaders of national organizations to come together in the same way that many companies, for example, work together through industry trade groups. While each organization would retain its own agenda and perspective, the community could work collectively to achieve specific objectives.

Badesch’s group is reaching out to other stakeholders at present to gauge interest. He said the initial response has been positive but declined to offer specifics.
i am most certainly in favor of ending all the infighting

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Aug 2012, 10:54 pm

I like the Autism Society, but I am disappointed that their message only mentioned parents and professionals as stakeholders, not Autists.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 11:20 pm

nominalist wrote:
I like the Autism Society, but I am disappointed that their message only mentioned parents and professionals as stakeholders, not Autists.

The leader of ASA clarifies that point in the comments of the linked topic article quoted here from that link; the national advocacy organizations include self advocacy organizations as well as individuals on the spectrum, as an integral part of the effort.

Quote:
Scott Badesch says:
August 7, 2012 at 1:30 pm

The reason we called for this effort was not to lead it but to convene it. And despite what the comments suggest, autistic people and advocates of the autistic community must be and will be an integral part of this effort

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 9:18 am

The Autism community is a family bound together by our unique experiences.

I think this is a monumental step in the right direction.

I hope THAT those who are able to, can take part in this discussion.

TheSunAlsoRises

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 10:56 pm

Bump

Anyone know the status of this event ?

TheSunAlsoRises

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 11:14 pm

Well are autistic people welcome in the autistic society.......or is this just for parents and mental health professionals dealing with an autistic person? That aside though I think it would be best if there was a common goal being worked towards instead of different autism organizations fighting over who's right and wrong but also I think the experiances, thoughts and opinions of actual autistic individuals needs to be more incorporated not just what the professionals and parents think.

And I hope I do not read the phrase 'precious dollars' ever again......though its likely I will but it has to be said. Dollars aren't precious at all! the end.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 3:56 am

TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
Bump

Anyone know the status of this event ?

TheSunAlsoRises

http://www.autism-society.org/news/an-update-on-the-fall-autism.html

Here is the latest update from the Autism Society from August 16th, no confirmed date set yet, from the Autism Society website.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 4:01 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well are autistic people welcome in the autistic society.......or is this just for parents and mental health professionals dealing with an autistic person? That aside though I think it would be best if there was a common goal being worked towards instead of different autism organizations fighting over who's right and wrong but also I think the experiances, thoughts and opinions of actual autistic individuals needs to be more incorporated not just what the professionals and parents think.

And I hope I do not read the phrase 'precious dollars' ever again......though its likely I will but it has to be said. Dollars aren't precious at all! the end.

Yes individuals in on the Spectrum are welcome in the Autism Society. You can learn more about the Autism Society, at the link I provided in the last post. And, achieving common goals, is the purpose of the Autism Society's work to convene a summit for the different organizations. People on the Spectrum will definitely be part of the effort as there are individuals in the different organizations that are invited to this summit on the spectrum. The Autistic Self Advocacy Network is definitely an organization that will be welcomed to participate, majority comprised of individuals on the spectrum.