Page 5 of 12 [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

mango_prom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Feb 2013, 6:29 pm

slave wrote:
HamsterOfChaos wrote:
The only thing I don't like about AS is the connotations of "syndrome." I say level the playing field: Neuro-Typical Disorder. Think of the behaviors of all the creatures on Earth, and then compare that to the bizarre social rituals and zealous need for homogeneity of the NT's. In this light, clearly they are the aberration.

Well said!! ! :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

It puzzles me that parts of the the oh-so intelligent AS-community are seemingly unable to realize how they fall into the same patterns of self-aggrandization and intolerance they accuse the rest of the world of. You want unconditonal acceptance and tolerance towards your way of being (as a person and neurologically speaking as well), while calling the whole human population minus whatever you define worthy of being part of your in-group an aberration?

And since we're apparently generalizing people based on a singular trait, why don't we start calling dark skinned people ni**ers again? You know, I'm German (arbitrarily defined group A), so let's go back to hating Jews (arbitrary group B)!
It's the same thing, and you're proud of it. That's why I'm particularly pi**ed off by your way of thinking, we had this mentality about 80 years ago in my country and we all know what happened. Shouldn't you know better?
Also, why should non-autistic people show any respect for maybe out-of the ordinary behaviours if you are disgusted by their rituals and quirks as well?

Sometimes I'm almost ashamed of some of the stuff written in this forum. If anyone wants to find out something about autistic people, they'll probably find internet boards and read all this intolerant and close minded bullsh*t.
Now it's not wrong to me to have such feelings of hatred towards others, and I can understand it to some degree. But these are just emotions and they don't allow an accurate judgement over the majority of people existing at all.

Keni
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2013, 9:53 pm

Word to replace neurotypical - Other People
Word to replace Aspies - Other People
Word to replace autistics - Other People

etc

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 9:59 pm

mango_prom wrote:
slave wrote:
HamsterOfChaos wrote:
The only thing I don't like about AS is the connotations of "syndrome." I say level the playing field: Neuro-Typical Disorder. Think of the behaviors of all the creatures on Earth, and then compare that to the bizarre social rituals and zealous need for homogeneity of the NT's. In this light, clearly they are the aberration.

It puzzles me that parts of the the oh-so intelligent AS-community are seemingly unable to realize how they fall into the same patterns of self-aggrandization and intolerance they accuse the rest of the world of. You want unconditonal acceptance and tolerance towards your way of being (as a person and neurologically speaking as well), while calling the whole human population minus whatever you define worthy of being part of your in-group an aberration?.

I picked this up within a week after reading blogs on WP.

What concerns me is not the Aspie views toward NTs (NTs don't take what we say seriously anyway) rather the aspie views toward people diagnosed with autism. I think many Aspies automatically feel entitlement to label autistic people as 'lower functioning' not realising that NTs do the exact same thing to them.

WhitneyM
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Feb 2013, 10:52 pm

I am not sure it would matter if they start being more accepting to those who are different. So what word you would like to replace it. I call them the Borg, Barbie and Ken doll syndrome and republicans. I could careless being political correct when it distorts the truths.

Keni
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2013, 3:31 am

Interesting. There is real antipathy from some toward all non-spectrum diagnosed people.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 3:21 pm

cyberdad wrote:
mango_prom wrote:
slave wrote:
HamsterOfChaos wrote:

It puzzles me that parts of the the oh-so intelligent AS-community are seemingly unable to realize how they fall into the same patterns of self-aggrandization and intolerance they accuse the rest of the world of. You want unconditonal acceptance and tolerance towards your way of being (as a person and neurologically speaking as well), while calling the whole human population minus whatever you define worthy of being part of your in-group an aberration?.

I picked this up within a week after reading blogs on WP.

What concerns me is not the Aspie views toward NTs (NTs don't take what we say seriously anyway) rather the aspie views toward people diagnosed with autism. I think many Aspies automatically feel entitlement to label autistic people as 'lower functioning' not realising that NTs do the exact same thing to them.

All Aspies are autistic as evidenced by the term Autism Spectrum Disorder. All people on the spectrum differ in terms of their ability to function, not on whether they are autistic. The DSM V has codified this reality such that now they do not even use the term Aspergers and regard all of us as being on the spectrum.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 5:44 am

So why does everyone keep calling themselves Aspies? even I do...

mango_prom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Feb 2013, 6:56 am

cyberdad wrote:

It was basically turned into a label of self-proclaimed superiority, which is why some are mad it's all called autism now. Doesn't bother me at all, never liked the term. I always considered myself autistic, so nothing changed. The problem is that many people being diagnosed or considering themselves on the spectrum refuse to look at the whole picture and use it as a poor excuse to exhibit a pretty primitive mentality of "I'm so different while everybody else is all the same! They suck an I don't!". Isn't that called puberty and applies to anybody? Why use a most likely neuophysiological condition as an excuse to judge mankind and put yourself on a pedestal?

paigetheoracle
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2013, 3:27 pm

How about zombies as they are slow when compared to us?

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 5:22 pm

Chronos wrote:
mmcool wrote:
the word nurotypical is getting old and it's meaning is not that right we need a new word for nurotypicals

please reply with suggestions

There was a word. "Normal". However some individuals took offence to the implication that they were not normal.

Or the implication that they were normal...

mango_prom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Feb 2013, 7:32 pm

paigetheoracle wrote:
How about zombies as they are slow when compared to us?

What exactly do you mean?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 9:40 pm

mango_prom wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

It was basically turned into a label of self-proclaimed superiority, which is why some are mad it's all called autism now. Doesn't bother me at all, never liked the term. I always considered myself autistic, so nothing changed. The problem is that many people being diagnosed or considering themselves on the spectrum refuse to look at the whole picture and use it as a poor excuse to exhibit a pretty primitive mentality of "I'm so different while everybody else is all the same! They suck an I don't!". Isn't that called puberty and applies to anybody? Why use a most likely neuophysiological condition as an excuse to judge mankind and put yourself on a pedestal?

I do agree with you, but I was hoping to get an explanation from Slave. Sometimes the best way to educate people about their personal bias is to get them to justify why it's necessary. I just wanted him to justify why it's necessary for people on the high end of the ASD spectrum to perpetuate the myth they have a seperate diagnosis because they can largely pass themselves off as superior to the rest of the autistic community.

mango_prom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Feb 2013, 11:28 am

cyberdad wrote:
I do agree with you, but I was hoping to get an explanation from Slave. Sometimes the best way to educate people about their personal bias is to get them to justify why it's necessary. I just wanted him to justify why it's necessary for people on the high end of the ASD spectrum to perpetuate the myth they have a seperate diagnosis because they can largely pass themselves off as superior to the rest of the autistic community.

I don't even think the problem is an opinion of being superior, but the reasons people have for these opinons. Simply put, if you have good reasons for being racist, homophobic, elitist towards others or whatever...it's fine for me as long as people don't pull these opinions out of their a** without using their brain at all. And I've never read any meaningful explanation of people talking bad about NTs or differentiating themselves from lower-functioning autistics. Just pointless rambling. I mean if they are so rational and smart, why doesn't it show in their posts at all?
And it's actually bad for the spectrum as a whole if "NTs" read that crap.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 6:46 am

Chimps?

Their behaviour mirrors that of chimpanzees very closely with all the hierarchy stuff, aggression and making loud whooping noises

It's impossible not to be constantly reminded of the similarities

A chimp can rip your arm off and an NT can do serious damage to you as well if sufficiently angered

As with chimps, giving them a wide berth is usually the best option in my opinion

You can watch them in their natural habitat on reality TV programmes like 'Jeremy Kyle' from the safety of your settee :D

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 8:33 am

slave wrote:
MrKnowItAll wrote:
I'm going with Herd People from now on. It gets right to the core of what's different about them. Plus, it's mildly insulting, which I think is a good thing.

I call the masses~~~~Sheeple for the same reason~~its got a nice ring to it :P :P :P

And therefore I will steal this word and it will be mine and I will call it fluffy.

Or wooly. Whatever it likes.

They're all sheeple.

mango_prom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Feb 2013, 8:43 am

nessa238 wrote:
Chimps?

Their behaviour mirrors that of chimpanzees very closely with all the hierarchy stuff, aggression and making loud whooping noises

It's impossible not to be constantly reminded of the similarities

A chimp can rip your arm off and an NT can do serious damage to you as well if sufficiently angered

As with chimps, giving them a wide berth is usually the best option in my opinion

You can watch them in their natural habitat on reality TV programmes like 'Jeremy Kyle' from the safety of your settee :D

Yeah we all know "NTs" are chimps, Jews are filthy rich and secretly rule the world, n*ggers are worhtless filth who deserve to be enslaved, women should stay at home and keep their mouth shut, catholics are child molesters and muslims all terrorists...did I miss anything?

On a more serious note, if you ever wanted some proof for the fact that there is no positive correlation between Asperger's and intelligence, just read some of the posts on this board (in before fluid intelligence crap...). It's such a joke, not every non-autistic hates people on the spectrum. Conversely, some posters on here create their little superior AS-dream world and hate on the rest of the world. It's even worse than "them". Some might hate things they're not used to, but that's still better than hating everybody.
There are lots of "NTs" which are more talented, intelligent and successful than many on the spectrum could ever dream of. And there's the opposite, too. Why rely on dividing reality into good/bad, black/white, AS/NT?
Deal with it, "you"...or "we", since my diagnosis apparently turns me into the next step of evolution are by no means superior to anybody out there.
It might hurt to realize it, but yes there are lots of "normal" people out there who have all the talents you and I might be proud of, and on top of that they're more adept at social skills (if they want to, it's their choice) and have no sensory integration issues or other symptoms of autism. The easy cop-out is to say AS=special, everybody else=inferior monkey-like creature.
But it's nonsense. Just complete nonsense, and you'd expect better from people who claim to be superior to NTs (a term nobody can even define properly)...Many posts are an exact copy of the simplistic and ignorant thinking you accuse your hated NTs of. You're not better than them. Now that might sound like a crazy idea...but maybe it's because we're all human?