Page 2 of 12 [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Wanderingronin42
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Sep 2012, 4:37 pm

Instead saying neurotypical and AS.

How about Neuro types similar idea to blood types? Everyone really has their own issues makes the normal or typical defunct.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 3:17 am

SpectrumWarrior wrote:
I know my conclusions might be considered controversial and conclusive evidence is lacking in the vital link between us and neanderthal genes, but I cannot discern any other theory that stands up to Occam's Razor and not only agrees with current understanding in the field, but offers logical explanations based on scientific theory for things not yet confirmed by research.

Just for information, the entire theory of humans and neanderthals interbreeding is in question again, per the most recent research that has been done in this area.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/aug/14/study-doubt-human-neanderthal-interbreeding

If there was no interbreeding among humans and neanderthals there is no potential for a link associated with autism and neanderthal genes. But, it was an interesting idea.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 5:58 am

I have a new one... "NI" Noisy Idiot

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 1:41 pm

mmcool wrote:
the word nurotypical is getting old and it's meaning is not that right we need a new word for nurotypicals

please reply with suggestions

How about normal, typical, usual, ordinary.

ruveyn

noobler

22 Oct 2012, 6:29 am

how about "conscript" and "sharpshooter"

or "imperial guardsman" and "sanctioned psyker"

personally if we take the first set of distinctions, I want to be called a "flamethrower"

just kidding around, neurotypical is fine, the worry that they'll see the word "typical" and think it's some scathing insult is unfounded, because the word neuro-typical "scientifizes" it, and people generally understand the "scientifized" word typical to mean "regular/normal/the usual"

alone, combined with tone of voice, the term "typical" takes on pejorative meaning but when combined with super sciency things like "neuro" it's an indicator to take it by it's "dictionary definition" meaning

which in this case isn't really it's dictionary definition meaning, but hey who cares, it's how they see it and that's why we don't have to worry

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 3:09 am

noobler wrote:
how about "conscript" and "sharpshooter"

or "imperial guardsman" and "sanctioned psyker"

personally if we take the first set of distinctions, I want to be called a "flamethrower"

just kidding around, neurotypical is fine, the worry that they'll see the word "typical" and think it's some scathing insult is unfounded, because the word neuro-typical "scientifizes" it, and people generally understand the "scientifized" word typical to mean "regular/normal/the usual"

alone, combined with tone of voice, the term "typical" takes on pejorative meaning but when combined with super sciency things like "neuro" it's an indicator to take it by it's "dictionary definition" meaning

which in this case isn't really it's dictionary definition meaning, but hey who cares, it's how they see it and that's why we don't have to worry

The word neurotypical is not in the dictionary or a scientific term. It is a phrase coined in the autism community, that can effectively mean nothing but non-autistic, as typical neurology exists nowhere except in human imagination.

The only problem with neurotypical is ask anyone on the spectrum what it means and they will provide their own unique definition, as one can only look it up on Wiki, and get a fuzzy idea of a definition

Most people that have not visited an online autism site, have absolutely no idea what it means, and never even hear it in real life, so it is not a significant source of any offense toward anyone, no matter how it is defined or used online vs. the real world outside of online autism communities..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurotypical

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 6:49 pm

how about neanderthal or NT

that would imply we are more advanced then they are and in some ways we are.

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2012, 7:35 pm

Don't fix something that isn't broken. :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 9:24 pm

Models

Genesis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Oct 2012, 1:16 pm

mmcool wrote:
the word nurotypical is getting old and it's meaning is not that right we need a new word for nurotypicals

please reply with suggestions

Norman Syndrome :lol:

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 2:36 pm

Hilton's Syndrome.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 3:26 pm

I'm tired of the word "New". It's been overused, especially in politics and advertising. Every time someone comes up with an idea that no one else has ever thought of before, they slap on that old "New" label and parade it around like it's something special. It makes me sick. If linguists can invent words like "Obamanomics" and "Romnesia", then why can't they invent another word for "New"?

While we're at it, let's get rid of "Improved" ...

;)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Historian
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Oct 2012, 6:45 pm

I don't like neurotypical people. They think that they are better than everyone else just because they're not in the DSM. Well I think that it should be.

starzo11
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Nov 2012, 3:18 pm

The guy who wrote the book Be Different (can't remember his name, John Robin or something) used the word "nypical" as shorthand for "neurotypical". He said neurotypical sounded too clinical.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 3:25 pm

starzo11 wrote:
The guy who wrote the book Be Different (can't remember his name, John Robin or something) used the word "nypical" as shorthand for "neurotypical". He said neurotypical sounded too clinical.
Robison,his shop repairs the mercedes in my avatar

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 12:18 am

Jenny McCarthies :lol: