Page 2 of 9 [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 7:01 pm

Keyman wrote:
The problem is that the need for a cure is defined from needs of people that has little clue on what's inside the mind of a person with autistic/asperger function. Yes, it's another way of function and not necessarily compatible with the majority population.

Of course some people certainly has problems but that doesn't mean everybody has that. And many organizations fail to accommodate this.

Being immune against relationship drama, status desires, keeping face, nonsense discussions etc and able to focus intensely on subject is quite nice. The reason communication is lacking may very well be that there's nothing the person with AS finds stimulating to communicate or that the person around them is interesting enough and many opinions on AS is formed by this because NT breathe using social interaction.

The problem is defined according to needs of all humans, not of some completely disparate majority. Whatever is in the mind of an autistic that is so different, does not contradict their need to have basic mental abilities or the benefit they can or do get from higher level cognitive abilities. No, it is not another way of function. Functioning is functioning. The successful autistics are out there running the same errands as neurotypicals, doing jobs that many non-autistics also work in, and learning things in school that the rest of the population learns. A reality check is needed against this segregationist agenda. Autistics are part of the same whole human population.

We are not immune against any of those things you mentioned. The evidence is for the opposite. That propaganda has been drummed up to portray the idea of some mysterious, saintly, innocent autistic, who tends to be perceived as some kind of a permanent child, even if inadvertently. Communication impairments are real. Denying that disability occurs within autism should not be tolerated.

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 7:12 pm

Threore wrote:
I don't think a cure, a neurotype-change, in itself is wrong. However society would probably stop considering the different needs of those who don't want a 'cure' because it's their fault for refusing the 'cure'. In addition parents could force such a cure on their children and society may even force it on ASD people in general because it's less of a bother than being considerate.

So, if someone is supposedly worried their needs wouldn't be listened to after a cure is available, they should get to preemptively forbid others from having it available to them, to protect themselves against such hypothetical victimization? It's amazing who can be portrayed as a "victim" these days. Cure is being considerate. Anti-cure agendas are inconsiderate, greedy, and include hegemony. Parents are responsible for making decisions for their children. Period. If medical treatment, which includes cure, is to be up to the child's sole decision, what else should children have the final say on? Think of the power differential that tends to continue into adulthood between parent and child when the child has a mental disability, including things like power of attorney, guardianship, etc.
It's not so much that some of you worry that a cure would be forced on you in particular, but that you don't want others who lack functioning to get it, as some aspies want to maintain their functionally advantaged position over others, which would be eliminated by others receiving cure. Cure isn't a neurotype change. It is a disability remover.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 10:10 am

I am not the biggest fan of having a cure so that sums it up really.

jacked
Raven
Raven

07 Nov 2012, 9:48 pm

I don't think there ever will be a cure.
I think that more time should be spent on differing methods of treatments.
Maybe they can make Autism into the new cancer and string everyone along.
I benefit from nicotine but I will not smoke. Why not research this???
My Neurologist says nobody wants to touch it.
What happens when I cant get the patch anymore, Ciggs are almost a thing of the past.
I have been hypnotized to forget traumatic events that cause me massive anxiety. That helped immensely.
But the medication needed to perform the hypnosis is not legal in the US.
I think I would benefit from a reboot from time to time, get rid of the bad memories I cant handle.
This applies to so many no matter what degree you have, A young girl who is severely effected on my wife's school bus can not be driven past her hospital or see an ambulance without breaking down. Hypnotism may help her have a better life and ease her anxiety.

What really needs to happen is, everything given to the world through autism needs to be taken away for a year.
It is amazing how the world takes the positives and forgets the rest.

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Nov 2012, 10:24 pm

jacked wrote:
But the medication needed to perform the hypnosis is not legal in the US.

Visit another country to use it?
What is the medication?

fluffypinkyellow
Raven
Raven

09 Nov 2012, 2:08 am

Aspertastic424 wrote:
Ok, I just need to start off by saying I have aspergers syndrome. I know I will get a lot of flack for this topic, but it is something I kind of believe.

My father and I had kind of an argument about this.

My mom is getting a degree in autism special education, and we have a little autitistic boy come over to our house for reading help. Unlike children with aspergers he seems fundamentally "locked in his own little world."

I have no problem with diversity. Its just I couldnt help but thinking as I watched him sort of sing to himself and repeat the questions he was asked, would he be better off if he was cured?

You might say there is nothing to cure. I just think it would be good if severely autistic kids like him had autism removed. That way they would be able to communicate, and have their lives far more open to them than they are now. If their autism was removed they could have a choice of learning or not, of being able to speak well and communicate with others, and choose to form friendships.

I know aspergers has its upsides. But severe autism seems not to, like it just condemns people who have it to be dependent for the rest of their lives and never be able to over come their difficulties to actually understand the world around them. My heart was filled with sorrow and frustration for the little child, not rejection.

Can anyone relate to what I am saying? Or am I bad for thinking it?

You're not a bad person for having these thoughts. I tend to lean towards focusing on wanting to change the society we grow up in so that autistic people can be better understood and that they can eventually live independent lives in jobs that play to their strengths. But I recognise that it can be very frustrating having autism. My form is mild and I still find it exhausting and horrible to try understanding people sometimes.

In general, I think in some ways it has become harder to be an autistic person in modern western cultures. In the last 50 or so years, we have developed this sort of very social extrovert culture, where everyone is expected to be friendly, chatty, and extroverted, and if someone isn't, it's seen as something "wrong". If you look at job vacancies, they all want an "outgoing team player". They all want someone who wants "something different every day", and who "loves chatting with new people". I've never seen a job ad asking for a quiet/thoughtful/inwards-focused person, although this type of personality is no less valuable. If someone is naturally more reserved, people become suspicious of them. People who simply tend to be quieter are continually told to "get out of your shell".

So I think to some extent it's society that makes being autistic harder. In some Asian cultures, quietness is seen as important in an environment and people tend to live more private lives. Whereas in a lot of Western cultures, we have this idea that everything should be partyish. As a culture, we've really lost a lot of our appreciation for quiet personal contemplation, and that's a real shame. I think if this boy you describe was growing up in a culture that wasn't so focused on social skills, a culture where job opportunities were tailored towards introverted people, and where people were able to support him to find and capitalise on his strengths, he could grow up to live an independent adult life as he is. I think a lot of severely autistic people could find fulfilment working with animals, working in research, editing papers or working online.

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 1:41 pm

fluffypinkyellow wrote:
Aspertastic424 wrote:
Ok, I just need to start off by saying I have aspergers syndrome. I know I will get a lot of flack for this topic, but it is something I kind of believe.

My father and I had kind of an argument about this.

My mom is getting a degree in autism special education, and we have a little autitistic boy come over to our house for reading help. Unlike children with aspergers he seems fundamentally "locked in his own little world."

I have no problem with diversity. Its just I couldnt help but thinking as I watched him sort of sing to himself and repeat the questions he was asked, would he be better off if he was cured?

You might say there is nothing to cure. I just think it would be good if severely autistic kids like him had autism removed. That way they would be able to communicate, and have their lives far more open to them than they are now. If their autism was removed they could have a choice of learning or not, of being able to speak well and communicate with others, and choose to form friendships.

I know aspergers has its upsides. But severe autism seems not to, like it just condemns people who have it to be dependent for the rest of their lives and never be able to over come their difficulties to actually understand the world around them. My heart was filled with sorrow and frustration for the little child, not rejection.

Can anyone relate to what I am saying? Or am I bad for thinking it?

You're not a bad person for having these thoughts. I tend to lean towards focusing on wanting to change the society we grow up in so that autistic people can be better understood and that they can eventually live independent lives in jobs that play to their strengths. But I recognise that it can be very frustrating having autism. My form is mild and I still find it exhausting and horrible to try understanding people sometimes.

In general, I think in some ways it has become harder to be an autistic person in modern western cultures. In the last 50 or so years, we have developed this sort of very social extrovert culture, where everyone is expected to be friendly, chatty, and extroverted, and if someone isn't, it's seen as something "wrong". If you look at job vacancies, they all want an "outgoing team player". They all want someone who wants "something different every day", and who "loves chatting with new people". I've never seen a job ad asking for a quiet/thoughtful/inwards-focused person, although this type of personality is no less valuable. If someone is naturally more reserved, people become suspicious of them. People who simply tend to be quieter are continually told to "get out of your shell".

So I think to some extent it's society that makes being autistic harder. In some Asian cultures, quietness is seen as important in an environment and people tend to live more private lives. Whereas in a lot of Western cultures, we have this idea that everything should be partyish. As a culture, we've really lost a lot of our appreciation for quiet personal contemplation, and that's a real shame. I think if this boy you describe was growing up in a culture that wasn't so focused on social skills, a culture where job opportunities were tailored towards introverted people, and where people were able to support him to find and capitalise on his strengths, he could grow up to live an independent adult life as he is. I think a lot of severely autistic people could find fulfilment working with animals, working in research, editing papers or working online.

You seem to not know what severe autism really means. The introvert/extrovert dichotomy doesn't really exist. It does not characterize autism. Deficits in basic communication exist for the the severely autistic. Choosing to be reclusive and liking being reclusive, isn't the same thing as being unable to communicate with others.

Basic communication includes the kind of basic interactions you would have day to day with others. Jobs usually involve many workers who have to communicate with each other to organize the work being done. Communication is needed to exchange necessary information. Wanting to tailor job opportunities for hypothetical "introverts" doesn't prove that such a hypothetical job category can exist and be financially viable. Jobs have to end up resulting in the production of wanted/valuable entities that are therefore marketable. If they don't, such jobs won't last. Severe autistics cannot work in research/editing papers, etc. Those require lots of skills/aptitude, which low-functioning/severe autistics lack.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 2:44 pm

I think if we could tap into the mind of a low functioning autistic we could come up with a lot of good inventions.

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Nov 2012, 4:03 pm

Like high functioning autistics (HFA) ..? ;)

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 4:51 pm

I really don't understand the fear of a cure. There are pretty clear legal standards to determine whether an individual is capable of making their own decisions regarding health.

Some with autism are very clearly in need of something better than the condition with which they live. Some do fine leaving well enough alone.

But let me put this in a different perspective.

Suppose one out of 100 (or whatever the statistic is now while you read this) people suddenly start being born missing one leg.

Many of them, who are stronger than others of them, learn to get along with one leg without needing wheelchairs.

Would they, or should they, campaign to prevent those who are not as strong who are bound to wheelchairs from receiving prosthetic legs?

I don't think most of us who wouldn't want a cure for ourselves would really mind if those whose lives clearly would improve from a cure, would not want them to have it available.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

mutley
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Nov 2012, 7:03 pm

Quote:
Suppose one out of 100 (or whatever the statistic is now while you read this) people suddenly start being born missing one leg.

I think the difference is that our legs don't define our personality or character. I could lose my leg, or regain a missing one and I'd still be the same person. On the other hand if you could somehow make me non-autistic, I'd be a completely different person. I'm not even sure it's possible to separate the Asperger's from the rest of my personality, it seems more like it's simply a description of me, rather than something that I have, external to myself. I think a lot of people, myself included, are uncomfortable with trying to change such a fundamental part of someone, even if it would make our lives easier.

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Nov 2012, 7:24 pm

It's more like if you had longer legs that would allow you to run faster but would have a hard time to enter buildings because of the roof height. In order to make everyone comply with building code and reduce costs. Those with too long legs were given the "choice" of no food or legs being chopped.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 7:19 am

Good grief. You've both missed the real point.

It's just an illustration to make a very particular point. Try not to overanalyze it.

Long legs, short legs, whether or not legs represent personality, are all totally beside the point I was making.

The point is:

Many of us have learned to get along in life with our personalities left AS IS. But, there are others with autism who clearly CANNOT get along in life on their own.

Should WE, who have learned to deal with it, have anything to say about whether THEY should or should not have a cure available to them?

That is the point, and the illustrations demonstrates it perfectly. Back away from the minute details of it or you'll miss it.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Nov 2012, 8:00 am

If there's a cure, it's likely to also be forced upon those that are perfectly content with asperger. To not be within the normality zone when there's a fix will not be seen lightly on.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 8:53 am

Keyman wrote:
If there's a cure, it's likely to also be forced upon those that are perfectly content with asperger. To not be within the normality zone when there's a fix will not be seen lightly on.

Rubbish. If you can speak for yourself nobody is going to force it on you. Besides, even if the worst your mind can conjure up for a totalitarian regime-like government actually did come about [again], whether you'd be forcibly cured of autism would be but a drop in the bucket of problems such a situation would cause.

Whether or not a cure exists is not the problem. What people are allowed to do with it is.

Railing against a cure won't prevent the problem you're talking about.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 9:47 am

There seems to be a interesting myth and stereotype that seems to be common on this forum
but the truth is that:
many people with aspergers want to be cured and not all people with severe autism want to be cured.success and aspergers is not always true nor is classic autism always a bar to success.

both temple grandin and donna williams have kanners classic autistic disorder and once met a man who was mid to mid severe on the kanner syndrome spectrum who graduated from yale.he was one of leo kanners original patients in the 40's and 50's and kanner told his mother to put him in an instituation and move on with her life.but he said sarcasticly "yale wasnt quite the institution they had in mind