Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Vector
Toucan
Toucan

22 Nov 2010, 12:27 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgNrjTC3yZg[/youtube]

Ugh.

I am sure that each of the concerns voiced by each of these parents is completely legitimate, and I have nothing but respect and compassion for them as individuals.

Editing them together in this way-- with the scream at the beginning-- makes me sick.

SuperApsie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Nov 2010, 1:07 pm

Well, it's a non profit school.

The "scare", "pain" or "horror" is just a practical marketing move. People who have money to give, give more when they see something that call their feelings, more than if they had a longer, more rational explanation. It is a rule statistically proven.
Is it unfair? Of course, but the majority of people will live and die with the most extreme, distorted image of autism or of any other wide spread issue without the need to understand more.

I hate that dramatization too, but at the same time it brings funds from the drones of the world.

Vector
Toucan
Toucan

22 Nov 2010, 1:35 pm

But---

Isn't the point of this school to create better lives for these kids?
Isn't the quality of their lives diminished by being depicted as monsters from a horror movie?

SuperApsie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Nov 2010, 1:43 pm

Vector wrote:
But---

Isn't the quality of their lives diminished by being depicted as monsters from a horror movie?

That is the idealistic point of view, I agree to it completely. But to reach these goals, the school have to survive. It is a trade for survival.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 4:51 pm

Vector wrote:
But---

I agree with you. But I think the issue is that the school claims to create better lives for these kids - but their real purpose is to perpetuate their own existence, to provide decent paying jobs for the administrators and teachers. So they do whatever suits that purpose, even if it harms the people they claim to be trying to help. The NT world is full of this kind of contradiction, and many of them never even see it. :roll:

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

frag
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 12:26 pm

Same message over and over. They didn't sign up for these kids, they signed up for normal kids.

Woman says the kid is happy but she wants him to have normal stuff a family and children. She decides what should make him happy. Repulsive.

Also I wonder what kind of world NT's want to have. Can't they see how non natural it is? The meaning of life is going to a supermarket and sit in a restaurant. If you can't do those simple things you are a lost cause. Eh, why don't we revolt against this stupid world? Getting food from a store is not normal. Sitting in a funky position and do things in a stereotypical restricted way isn't normal. Normal is growing your own food, go fishing, eat around your fire. So there.

And it's terrible how the mom says there is almost no one in her kid. They accuse us for not having a theory of mind, but where is theirs?

Stupid arses.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 1:08 pm

frag wrote:
Same message over and over. They didn't sign up for these kids, they signed up for normal kids.

The really stupid thing about this is, even if you have a 'normal' kid, they can get sick, get a head injury, whatever, and they still won't be 'normal' any more. So, if you're going to be a parent, you ought to accept you could end up with anything. If you aren't prepared for that, don't have kids.

As for the rest of what you say; 'normal life' is an absurd set of standards which is mostly designed to ensure corporate profits. And living a so-called normal life would not make me happy. To those who think others ought to be told what should make them happy: you ought to be the first to sign up for such a program. I'll volunteer: you send me your names, I'll tell you what 'should' make you happy, and persecute you if you don't like it. If, after twenty years or so, you're glad you signed up, then maybe I'll be convinced that system works. :twisted:

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 1:22 pm

I got angry about four seconds into the video. By watching these four seconds, I think I know the summary: the parents are tired of their child's tantrums, they're sending them to this school, the people are all like, "I wanted my kids to be normal!", and the school promises a cure for the "disorder".

Those are autism commercials in a nutshell.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 1:49 pm

theWanderer wrote:
frag wrote:

The really stupid thing about this is, even if you have a 'normal' kid, they can get sick, get a head injury, whatever, and they still won't be 'normal' any more. So, if you're going to be a parent, you ought to accept you could end up with anything. If you aren't prepared for that, don't have kids.

As for the rest of what you say; 'normal life' is an absurd set of standards which is mostly designed to ensure corporate profits. And living a so-called normal life would not make me happy. To those who think others ought to be told what should make them happy: you ought to be the first to sign up for such a program. I'll volunteer: you send me your names, I'll tell you what 'should' make you happy, and persecute you if you don't like it. If, after twenty years or so, you're glad you signed up, then maybe I'll be convinced that system works. :twisted:

So these stupid parents want their kids to exist to ensure large profits for the mega-corporations they work for? :? 8O I guess since they've totally bought into the "system" that they can't possibly handle the idea of a kid who can't "fit"? :roll: :roll: For millions of years, primates lived lives that were vastly different from the "normal life" that has been developed over the past 60 years. Maybe the post-WW2 standard is what is abnormal.

AsIndsigt
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Nov 2010, 5:07 am

what school is this? contact information? lets write them?

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2010, 11:52 am

AsIndsigt wrote:
what school is this? contact information? lets write them?

They won't care; after all, they think they know more than we do. We're the "problem", they're the "solution". Not that I believe that, of course - but over years of butting my head against that particular type of brick wall, I've figured out no one like that is ever going to listen. :roll: It annoys me - heck, it makes me furious - but life's too short to waste time or energy on people who aren't going to listen.

What I'd like to see is someone talented at video making an answer to this, for the same target audience, so we could convince the parents it is attitudes like this that are the real problem. It still won't get the results it should, but if even one parent listened, one poor kid might have an easier life. And, paradoxically, if it worked at all well, that's the one thing this warped, sick school might listen to - the sound of money draining away from their grasping little hands. :twisted:

===================

Yanks28th
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Nov 2010, 2:09 pm

The problem a lot of the time for us is that we don't say things the write way. We don't always know what the other person is thinking, and how if we say it in a too accusatory way, they'll be offended. If you say it politely, as a suggestion, especially mixed in with a compliment,t then it will be more affective. The fact of the matter is it doesn't always matter if the content of what you say is good. Equally important is the way you say it. Hey, it's not NT's fault that there not as rational as us :wink:

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 7:46 pm

Yanks28th wrote:
The problem a lot of the time for us is that we don't say things the write way. We don't always know what the other person is thinking, and how if we say it in a too accusatory way, they'll be offended. If you say it politely, as a suggestion, especially mixed in with a compliment,t then it will be more affective. The fact of the matter is it doesn't always matter if the content of what you say is good. Equally important is the way you say it. Hey, it's not NT's fault that there not as rational as us :wink:

Yes, you're right about this, and it is one of the reasons I think these attitudes need to be countered indirectly.

===================

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Nov 2010, 8:23 pm

You know what I noticed in this video? Take, for example, the black woman. "I can't do what I want to do or live how I want to live because I have to stay home and take care of this child." That's generally the tone of the other parents as well; it's nothing but pure selfishness.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 1:00 am

What I don't like is that this gives the impression of painting every single child on the autism spectrum with one broad brush. I will bet there are just as many if not more differences between individuals on the autism spectrum than there are between autistic individuals and NTs.

Does anyone else notice that these kinds of videos seem to have a theme of deliberately milking the parents' misery for all its worth?

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 1:21 pm

Silver_Meteor wrote:
Does anyone else notice that these kinds of videos seem to have a theme of deliberately milking the parents' misery for all its worth?

Oh, I've noticed. Joseph Goebbels would be proud of them. With enough videos like this, the public will be persuaded we are all "savage", "useless", and good for nothing but causing misery to others. Hmm, I wonder what happens then...

===================