The elephant in the room. The vulnerability of autistics.

Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 12:25 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Stoek wrote:
...realistically shouldnt more attention be paid to how we fit into society.

Absolutely! Hans Asperger himself said as much in his original papers. That sentiment, IMHO, is being forgotten. Too much emphasis is placed on teaching aspies to become more NT in nature rather than understanding who we are as we are, and figuring out how we might fit as we are.

THIS.

In my inexpert opinion, what is needed is not more money or more assistance or more intervention or more drugs.

What is needed-- by pretty much every demographic, not just those at x level of functioning or even autistics in general-- is more tolerance, more acceptance, a less rigid and judgmental and condemnatory culture in general.

If humans were more cohesive, regardless of differences, this would be a much, much smaller elephant.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 1:24 pm

Society is more complicated than we think it is. Taking out one piece will have effects, ones we can not predict. Trying to eradicate something is generally a very bad idea.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 1:25 pm

Stoek wrote:
]If you want us to be taken seriously by government we do need to make clear decisions of what support we actually need.

This is how government works.

I currently live in a city where adults get diagnosed twice as fast as children. Considering the importance of early intervention that is a clear example of where part of the problem may lay.

and now you've kind of lost me....I think it's pretty clear that if someone cannot make ends meet due to the autism interfering they might need some income to live on and access to things medical care, food and shelter. Maybe the government should make it clear why they would want to cut programs that help the citizens before cutting less necessary spending. But I guess that's just a silly idealistic even stupid idea, after all they couldn't possibly reduce funding for say the useless war on drugs or other useless things :roll:.

If you disagree with my opinion fine.

Entek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Dec 2012, 4:34 pm

If Eintstein's parents had known about him, and chosen not to have him, the repucissions alone would be devastating. If he was Autistic of course.

If we are more logically minded than standard NT's, it always makes me wonder if we server a purpose. Choosing to terminate us at conception may not be a good idea, evolutionarily speaking. It would be the equivalent of being able to see into the future, and only having babies that are destined to be orange faced, blonde girls, or flabby, greasy haired boys with a love of Lady Gaga.

In short, disaster on an evolutionary scale.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 5:48 pm

I think there is a real conservative attitude that claims that autistics are not entitled to any help from the government,

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 2:24 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
I think there is a real conservative attitude that claims that autistics are not entitled to any help from the government,

:wall: Thanks for bring politics into it. :roll:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2018, 9:27 am

androbot2084 wrote:

Sounds like you're talking about my church ... xD Of course they didn't say this directly but they low key brushed on this topic with a toothbrush saying that "every person should work and have a secular job of some type that way they can give that money back to God". I mean, I'll just leave the up to interpretation since I could be wrong