Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Do you feel ok with the autism label? Wouldn't you rather be called an introvert?
I don't care either way, people insult each other all the time. 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
I find it hard to see my strenght when all people focus on is what I can't do instead to value my skill and help me with the rest 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
I wish they'd described us as introverts, just a type of person, instead of a disability. I am more clever and skilled in certain areas than the average joe. If they don't have a syndrome for their flaws why should I. 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
Knowing that I have a disability helped me understand and get help to be accepted by society 53%  53%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 19

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 6:01 pm

Autism is a disability. It's got nothing to do with being an introvert.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 11:27 pm

No. Just no.

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Dec 2012, 11:50 am

I think, like, 80% of individuals with classic autism are retarded? Like if someone has Aspergers and is gifted I can see them being mistaken for a brainy introvert, but even among the Aspergers population there are plenty who are of average intelligence.
I'm not sure how to articulate what I'm saying here, I mean, you can be 'high functioning' and have a lot of autism-related issues. But when people talk about autism not being a disability, they're often talking about the people who are eccentric but manage to go to uni, be a part of society, and they're the minority of autistic people. But to replace the word 'autism' with 'introversion' would be grossly inaccurate, despite there being overlap between the concepts. Maybe you should go out and meet some people with autism, because this forum is not representative of the autistic population.