Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Would you support a food-themed fundraiser?
Poll ended at 28 Jan 2013, 3:57 pm
Of course, where do I sign up? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
One Asp-burger please, medium well 86%  86%  [ 6 ]
Not a laughing matter! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Stop posting! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
We all scream for ice cream 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 3:57 pm

Did anyone see this article before?

http://www.news-journal.com/lindale/new ... mode=story

The article is coverage of an Autism fundraiser set up by the older sister of an individual with an ASD, and sponsored by a local school and Autism Speaks* in April 2012. Apparently, it was a 5K run, followed by a $5/plate hamburger meal. The 2011 event apparently raised $6,000 for Autism Speaks.

What I would like to know is if individuals on the Spectrum have ever considered this as a fundraiser for some sort of event. If for no other reason, to get the other set of hits from "burgers" down from the first 3 pages of google results.

About 5 years ago, there was a discussion of an Aspergers-Themed Restruant, and while that is probably unfeasable at this time, a local food-themed fundraiser might be an interesting way to get some good PR.

Is there any chance we could have some light humor and discuss possible food names? An interesting menu makes for good headlines...

Edited for clarity

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 3:59 pm

The food-themed fundraiser actually sounds pretty good but an Asperger's-themed restaurant?! It's an idea with the best of intentions, but really it's just asking to be mocked by trolls and other nasties.

Last edited by Tequila on 29 Dec 2012, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 4:03 pm

Tequila wrote:
The food-themed fundraiser actually sounds pretty goo but an Asperger's-themed restaurant?! It's an idea with the best of intentions, but really it's just asking to be mocked by trolls and other nasties.

I edited that line to make my thoughts a little more clear. I don't believe a restaurant is feasable at this time, through I don't believe it would be mocked anymore than we already are.

A fundraiser on the other hand....might not be outside the realm of possibility.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 6:13 pm

I can see many jokes being made about this courtesy of South Park... I do like the idea of an asp burger though... Snake meat isn't half bad; skinning it is the real pain.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 6:38 pm

CyborgUprising wrote:
I can see many jokes being made about this courtesy of South Park... I do like the idea of an asp burger though... Snake meat isn't half bad; skinning it is the real pain.

And I typed that post in blissful ignorance of such things. I think we'll let another food outlet in the states serve the REAL "Asp Burgers", we'll just have hamburgers with a play on the name. I'm not even sure if the local health inspectors would allow it.

As for South Park, I'd rather have that search come up with a spectrumite fundraiser than what's there now.

Three points jump out at me here.

One, It's really an outreach activity dressed in a fundraiser. AuSp did'nt make that much off of the example I put in the OP, but they got a message out to a couple hundred people and they put no sustained effort into it. When people think of Aspergers, I'd prefer a hamburger-related fundraiser over some of the absolute crap out there now.

Two, how much does it cost to buy a 30 second public service spot on a local TV station, as opposed to holding a fundraiser? This is as close to free positive publicity as it gets.

Three, I've read posters talk about social isolation. Could something like this be an activity that supports spectrumites in interaction?

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 9:49 pm

Why does it have to be hamburgers? Wouldn't a menu with references to really obscure things to represent special interests be better.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 10:12 pm

Stim Cola?

Flapping Buffalo Wings?

Patty Meltdowns?

Depressed Panini Sandwiches?

Jenny McCarthy Fruitcakes?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 10:28 pm

ianorlin wrote:
Why does it have to be hamburgers? Wouldn't a menu with references to really obscure things to represent special interests be better.

For the fundraising idea, hamburgers would be cheap, easy to make, commonly sold at such events, and give us the opportunity to make a play on the name.

Every item added to the list would have to be made on the spot, and by relatively inexperienced volunteers.

Synesthesia cookies might be a good idea. Cheap to make, can be stored and brought to the site, and serve a very real purpose. Different colors on each cookie's number (say, 8 = Green), but have a chart with a different color scheme (8=Brown). It's a way to demonstrate sensory issues that most people don't think about, which I think is along the lines you were suggesting.

I'm still hoping to figure out what the hot dogs will be called. Any ideas?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 10:31 pm

AgentPalpatine wrote:
I'm still hoping to figure out what the hot dogs will be called. Any ideas?

Phallic Obsessions?

Or, if you put them on a stick, dip them in batter, and deep-fry them to a golden brown, you could call them "Obsessive Corn Dogs" or "OCDs" for short.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 10:54 pm

Fnord wrote:
Stim Cola?

Flapping Buffalo Wings?

Patty Meltdowns?

Depressed Panini Sandwiches?

Jenny McCarthy Fruitcakes?

Stim Cola....I like that one!

Flapping Buffalo wings....hmmmmmm

Patty Meltdowns....I was waiting for that one

Depressed Panini...I'm not sure I follow here.

This is why I like this concept, Stim cola isn’t that different than "Asp-Burger", but it gets across that we exist, we have lives, and we eat the same foods. Maybe a diagram of a stick figure twirling his keys...."Aspie stimming"....next to it is the same image..."Twirling keys".

I'll have to think about that one in more detail.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 11:07 pm

Depressed Panini ... A "Panini press" is sometimes used to squash the Panini sandwich together while it is cooking. Aspies seem to be prone to depression. Thus the association.

If not "McCarthy Fruitcake", then how about "Curebie Fruitcake"?

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 10:43 pm

I'll make chicken lettuce balls or as I like to call em goof balls, no glutton, and easy on the digestive system.