Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

HamsterOfChaos
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Dec 2012, 4:23 pm

Mike1 wrote:
“The receptivity of the masses is very limited, their intelligence is small, but their power of forgetting is enormous. In consequence of these facts, all effective propaganda must be limited to a very few points and must harp on these in slogans until the last member of the public understands what you want him to understand by your slogan.” - Adolf Hitler

“Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it.” - Adolf Hitler

Smart man. He recognized the worst parts of human nature, and exploited them to the fullest. Underneath the veneer of feigned empathy and easy smiles, are our politicians and media representatives really any different? I mean, look at the Tea Party...

I'm saddened, but not the least bit surprised that this has happened. Clearly, AS, guns, video games, and other selective things attributable to Adam Lanza are to blame--if we stamp these things out, we'll put an end to mass murder. That last part is sarcasm; sometimes I do a bad job of showing I'm being sarcastic.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 9:54 pm

It's really sad that hate seems to be what pushes people like Lanza to go on killing sprees. So what is the public's answer to combat this? With more hate of course!

Think back to Columbine. If it's true that Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were bullied as a result of their "gothic" lifestyle (I use that term loosely) you would think that the answer after the shooting occurred would be to stop bullying these kind of kids or any kids in general. But from what I understand, the bullying of goth kids or anyone who looked remotely like them got worse. Jeez people, it's been almost 14 years and we still haven't learned? We had so much time to learn from such incidences and yet we just let the problem pass quietly until the next shooting occurs. I will not be surprised, but will be disheartened, if we let the problem of bullying and persecution of autistic people pass in a similar fashion years from now. If the massacre of 20 children doesn't wake people up to how we treat one another (particularly autistic people) as human beings, then I have really lost all hope for humanity.

hblu1992
Raven
Raven

29 Dec 2012, 10:31 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
It's really sad that hate seems to be what pushes people like Lanza to go on killing sprees. So what is the public's answer to combat this? With more hate of course!

Think back to Columbine. If it's true that Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were bullied as a result of their "gothic" lifestyle (I use that term loosely) you would think that the answer after the shooting occurred would be to stop bullying these kind of kids or any kids in general. But from what I understand, the bullying of goth kids or anyone who looked remotely like them got worse. Jeez people, it's been almost 14 years and we still haven't learned? We had so much time to learn from such incidences and yet we just let the problem pass quietly until the next shooting occurs. I will not be surprised, but will be disheartened, if we let the problem of bullying and persecution of autistic people pass in a similar fashion years from now. If the massacre of 20 children doesn't wake people up to how we treat one another (particularly autistic people) as human beings, then I have really lost all hope for humanity.

Some people are just dirt.Plain and simple.They are dirt and the only way they can live with themselves is the point out flaws in others.These types of people need this because once they look inside they see a hollow peice of trash.They focus on the material and the obvious with no understanding of what give them worth.They see conformity as the only measure of worth.
And what are you you going to tell these shells of people if they ask why they shouldnt pick on the loners?That one day one of them will walk into school with a Tech-9 and a shoot everyone? like HamsterOfChaos said it's human nature.In my opinion the best that can be done is to create more awareness about ASDs fom people that actuallly have them or atleast attract some idea of pity to the condition.I would rather be pitied than feared but I'd rather be understood than pitied.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 10:48 am

vermontsavant wrote:
eric76 wrote:
aspiebostonian wrote:
aspiebostonian wrote:
eric76 wrote:
aspiebostonian wrote:
Anyway, there is always some group throughout history who has to put up with an ignorant public. And, we are dealing with an ignorant, gun-loving public.

What I detest is the gun hating ignorant public.

It must take more intelligence than many have to understand that the problems with people shooting others is a people problem, not a gun problem. It seems idiotic to me to blame it on the guns instead of the people.

Being autistic, I cannot tell if your comment is directed at me. If it is, then be more specific in pointing out where I am blaming this on guns. Otherwise, I will assume you are using my quote in an unexpected way, and I hope you wouldn't call me an idiot because you completely misread my comments. That would be all-too Aspergian.

I'm aware that we need to provide resources to people so they don't pick up and misuse guns. Anyone who really wants to get their hands on a gun will likely do so unless they are in a padded and locked room. I'm more concerned about the people who would put someone like me who is fully functioning in a padded room simply because of a diagnosis, even if I am higher functioning than many NTs. I'm also concerned about the people who play keep-away with resources and who think this will be solved by either withholding or mis-directing resources.

Adds: Though now I feel I have to add that I do wonder about some of the guns that are out there, and whether people really need to keep guns that fire off so many rounds of ammo at once. I can understand if you really feel the need to defend your life and home from an intruder, but cannot understand the logic of the average citizen keeping some of these assault rifles, and I think the less that are available the better. It doesn't mean in the short-term that someone may not illegally get their hands on one, but in the long-run that should be less likely if at all likely.

How many people in the Unites States actually own or possess assault rifles?

I'll give you a hint. Not all that many. And those who own them legally aren't out there committing crimes.

A real assault rifle is capable of firing automatic bursts or fully automatically. If you own or possess an assault rifle in the United States without the property paperwork and taxes, you can spend years in a Federal prison.

There are people who do legally own fully automatic weapons in the United States. As far as I know, there have been only two or three instances of legally owned automatic weapons being used in the commission of a violent crime in the United States in well over fifty years. One of those crimes was committed by a police officer.

As far as I know, private citizens cannot legally obtain modern assault weapons in the United States at all.
you can apply for a machine gun license but its almost impossable to get

I know a good many (not including private contractors) who have obtained their license under the auspices of "research." I will agree with you here, it isn't exactly a walk in the park to apply and obtain proper licensure.

Murderface
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jan 2013, 3:59 pm

It's things like this that angers me. Things like this males me dislike the lower thinking NT's even more.

You are very likely an Aspie

Daniel_8964
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jan 2013, 7:50 pm

That enrages me that someone would actually take it seriously and judge by looks in a shallow way before reacting in a violent panic, It's basically they rely on the media and denying the truth of reality and facts. For me I would be aggressive only if it's hostile and neccessary, not when someone is there standing harmlessly and not being violent. Society is unjust, not quite ready to move on unless there's more accurate understanding.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 11:50 am

Aspiegaming wrote:
I went shopping at Wal-Mart once. I was spending some money I got for my birthday and I saw at least five videogames I wanted but I knew I couldn't have all five. I was lucky to go home with two. As I was browsing to decide which ones I wanted the most, I often forget my surroundings and emit strange behavior that often helps me think. A security took notice. He looked like he had post Connecticut shooting paranoia. I don't blame him. He tried to arrest me for "suspicious activity." I reasoned with him. I told him "It's not our fault some kid went crazy and shot a bunch of people. I'm not like that guy. You're reading too much internet bigotry. All I want to do is buy some games, go home, and prepare for the family Christmas party." He let me off the hook and I said "I'll let this go for now but don't let it happen again, ok?." Afterwards, my brother came with an employee to unlock the glass case so I could get the games I wanted. If I could experience something like that in a store, I can't imagine facing the new college semester in January.

There luckly they got your money instaid of a lawsuit! I would boycot wal-mart (and I do for other reasons) and any good security person knows you have to get outside the door to charge you with theft or anything like it. I have been told by expirenced family I have been watched at home depot though, I look like the kind of person who steals router bits maybe?

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 12:50 pm

rapidroy wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
I went shopping at Wal-Mart once. I was spending some money I got for my birthday and I saw at least five videogames I wanted but I knew I couldn't have all five. I was lucky to go home with two. As I was browsing to decide which ones I wanted the most, I often forget my surroundings and emit strange behavior that often helps me think. A security took notice. He looked like he had post Connecticut shooting paranoia. I don't blame him. He tried to arrest me for "suspicious activity." I reasoned with him. I told him "It's not our fault some kid went crazy and shot a bunch of people. I'm not like that guy. You're reading too much internet bigotry. All I want to do is buy some games, go home, and prepare for the family Christmas party." He let me off the hook and I said "I'll let this go for now but don't let it happen again, ok?." Afterwards, my brother came with an employee to unlock the glass case so I could get the games I wanted. If I could experience something like that in a store, I can't imagine facing the new college semester in January.

There luckly they got your money instaid of a lawsuit! I would boycot wal-mart (and I do for other reasons) and any good security person knows you have to get outside the door to charge you with theft or anything like it. I have been told by expirenced family I have been watched at home depot though, I look like the kind of person who steals router bits maybe?

The only thing I ever stole in a store was a pack of peanut M&Ms and I was a toddler at the time and no one noticed until I was in the car.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 1:19 pm

aspies can't steal, its dis-honest and aganist the rules lol

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 9:02 am

My folder on the cognitive and social deficits of neurotypicals is getting really thick.

OK. Anyone can panic, do something wrong, do something hurtful, even get someone hurt, and still deserve forgiveness.

But what disgusts me is the way some of them continue to defend themselves with comments like, "How was I supposed to know?..He's nuts too!"

It doesn't take an Aspie to be logical enough to say, "OK. Bipedial carriage, opposable thumbs. Human. Sometimes I'm wrong. When I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I screwed up; I'm sorry. The next time you screw up, I'll try to remember this."

Human nature sucks. It scares me whether I have some disorder or not. People will, frankly, turn on anyone at any time for any reason. They make me wish for a nice, predictable pack of rabid pitbulls. I wish I could tell myself it would be a good thing to grab Hubby by the scruff of the neck and drag him and the kids off to some isolated Canadian survival farm. Yukon Ho!

He needs people, and conventional employment. I need to be useful to society and to my old folks. The kids need to know their grandparents and to have a chance to be part of a positive change for society. And my executive function sucks so much, we'd probably starve. And that's what stopping me. When the old folks are gone and if I can improve my executive function, who knows.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 4:25 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:

Um....

Let WHAT happen again? o_O

Author/Writer

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 8:46 pm

Zodai wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

Um....

Let WHAT happen again? o_O

It doesn't matter anymore. I took care of it. It's over. It's done. I can relax a little.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 10:14 pm

Typical bigotry expected from the ignorant, scapegoating problems on those portrayed by the media as "responsible" for crimes only because a member of a group commits such crime. This is happening to blacks, Muslims, Mexicans and now people with Aspergers??? What next, children being put in prison because some children are gangsters who break the law?? Xenophobia is stupidity, no matter what the group. It's only when a minority commits an atrocious act that the media stereotypes them and uses them as a scapegoat to blame all the problems on.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 12:35 am

No wonder I rant about NTs from time to time.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jan 2013, 4:56 pm

I'm sympathetic to the article's sentiment, but I can't find anything to corroborate the Wal-mart incident.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 2:06 pm

After reading this, I felt a great amount of unpleasantness.. I don't like the ideal of scapegoating someone or persons for that matter as this simply sickens me..
I hope one day Nt's And AS people can co-exist peacefully but, until that day I shall strive to work towards helping autistic people to live as best as possible in this world.