Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SamanthaBlake
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Dec 2012, 9:45 pm

on my bucket list of 100 things to do before i die i want to raise awarenees for aspergers specifically in women. i feel like women are severly underdiagnosed.and i have lost to many friends whom i have thought have as ,and they spiraled downwards and dint get the therapy/meds they needed.diagnosis has changed my life for the better and i want to help others. i was thinking of wearing as aspie pride t shirt.but i want to do more. what can i do?

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 9:57 pm

Think practicality.

What can you practically do that helps people? People, whether we like it or not, respond to things that benefit them. If you want to raise awareness, you have to provide something that people will respond to - that's how they will remember.

For example, I'm wanting to raise awareness in universities. But to do that I have to put my voice out there and try to be practical and inspirational at the same time. That goes for any type of activism movement.

MacGyverAspie
Toucan
Toucan

29 Dec 2012, 12:15 am

I think you have a good idea, at least it will try to get the public to understand what AS really is and to minimize the stigma that surrounds it in the media and other places.

In general, AS is being understood better than about 20 years ago when it wasn't really known.

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Dec 2012, 11:43 am

SamanthaBlake wrote:
on my bucket list of 100 things to do before i die i want to raise awarenees for aspergers specifically in women. i feel like women are severly underdiagnosed.and i have lost to many friends whom i have thought have as ,and they spiraled downwards and dint get the therapy/meds they needed.diagnosis has changed my life for the better and i want to help others. i was thinking of wearing as aspie pride t shirt.but i want to do more. what can i do?

Write an article for a magazine?

Catmint
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Dec 2012, 3:52 pm

Personally I want to do it through writing - I've always wanted to be a fiction author, and now I know I'm Aspie I want to use my talents for that. I'm also thinking of setting up something for female Aspie students at my uni.

AQ: 41
RAADS-R: 188

Owned by Skitty Kitty and Tabby Terror (aka Mary and Joseph).

SamanthaBlake
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Dec 2012, 6:05 pm

what publication would want an article about as. i wouldnt know where to start

Catmint

29 Dec 2012, 6:11 pm

I'm looking at writing fiction, so any publisher that will take me, really!

AQ: 41
RAADS-R: 188

Owned by Skitty Kitty and Tabby Terror (aka Mary and Joseph).

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Dec 2012, 3:09 pm

SamanthaBlake wrote:

Lots of online ones would. Just look for sites that allow submissions. http://rookiemag.com/ has already had an article about having Aspergers written by a girl. Or you could make your own zine and add it to a zine directory so people know about it. You could submit to an existing zine, e.g. http://mindovermatterzine.tumblr.com/about , http://girlsgetbusyzine.tumblr.com/ , .

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 9:18 pm

SamanthaBlake wrote:

Sounds like a great idea. I know that being a female has screwed me over as far as getting a proper diagnosis and assistance for my AS. I wish I had some ideas of any kind. If any of your ideas consists of sharing any female AS stories, I can willingly share mine if need be. Best of luck.

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 12:24 pm

antifeministfrills wrote:
SamanthaBlake wrote:

Lots of online ones would. Just look for sites that allow submissions. http://rookiemag.com/ has already had an article about having Aspergers written by a girl. Or you could make your own zine and add it to a zine directory so people know about it. You could submit to an existing zine, e.g. http://mindovermatterzine.tumblr.com/about , http://girlsgetbusyzine.tumblr.com/ , .

This is an awesome idea, as well as the one about writing fiction about females with Asperger's from a female point of view. It's important to raise awareness that a) women with Asperger's exist and b) Asperger's in women is different from AS in men. Wrongplanet could be a great platform for a collective project or something.

PantheraTigris
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2013, 3:23 pm

I have Asperger's. I'm female.

RocketPeacock
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Feb 2013, 2:49 am

I really feel like TV/movies would be the best representation.

All obviously/purposely AS characters I seen in film media are male. Creating something with a female AS character (diagnosed or implied) would do a lot to change stereotypes. And, sadly, film has a larger audience than print, though I'm still thinking of finding somewhere to publish an edited version of the coming out letter I posted on facebook.

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 10:36 am

RocketPeacock wrote:
I really feel like TV/movies would be the best representation.

All obviously/purposely AS characters I seen in film media are male. Creating something with a female AS character (diagnosed or implied) would do a lot to change stereotypes. And, sadly, film has a larger audience than print, though I'm still thinking of finding somewhere to publish an edited version of the coming out letter I posted on facebook.

I agree with you completely. However, it's more expensive and difficult to make a movie/tv show that will de widely distributed, and a book would be easier to make in terms of logistics, plus a book could be turned later into a movie/tv show. Of course, when there's a will there's a way and if a film/tv show is doable, it'd be awesome, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt..

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 8:58 pm

hadapurpura wrote:
antifeministfrills wrote:
SamanthaBlake wrote:

This is an awesome idea, as well as the one about writing fiction about females with Asperger's from a female point of view. It's important to raise awareness that a) women with Asperger's exist and b) Asperger's in women is different from AS in men. Wrongplanet could be a great platform for a collective project or something.

You may want to include c) women with autism also exist even though they are considered 'different' by women with Aspergers...

glow
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2013, 6:23 pm

Did you manage to open up a clothing store or nightclub or cafe? im just wondering where you are at on your list now..

Last edited by glow on 02 Mar 2013, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2013, 6:29 pm

It would help if a well-known female celebrity would "come out" as an Aspie, especially if her career is already well-established.

That would be a Watermark moment, indeed!

;)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.