Yes 30%  30%  [ 57 ]
No 70%  70%  [ 135 ]
Total votes : 192

MrKnowItAll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Feb 2013, 3:50 pm

LauraL wrote:
I go through depression. Reality causes my depression.

I go through depression too, but not all the time. You have my sympathy.

I hope you don't think that in making light of the idea of a cure for Asperger's I'm making light of your situation. That wasn't my intention, although I can see it looks like that. I apologize.

salem44dream
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2013, 9:54 pm

I think the real question is, can we be treated and be relieved of some of the things that make our lives miserable ... AND not have a complete personality change at the same time? I still want to be ME, but I also want some relief from the really harsh things that have been handed down in life to me because I'm an aspie. I'd like to be able to communicate non-verbally at least to the point of making an emotional connection with someone who could end up becoming a significant other, and a few other things. However, I don't want to change so much that my family members would think, WHO is this person?! !

EliteEnigma57
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Feb 2013, 3:08 pm

As much as I hate the pro-cure movement and those involved in it (the mere mention of Jenny McCarthy makes my blood boil), it seems that you've had much more experience with autism than others who want it to be cured since you actually have it. Still, I think that you should reconsider. I know it may seem like autism is only a negative thing for you, but there are also positive aspects as well, just as there are positive and negative aspects to being neurotypical.

WhitneyM

10 Feb 2013, 6:20 pm

I don't want to be cured. I mean I think a society who is more open and accepting is better than one that narrow minded to degrade a person. It means they will find away to discriminate others even if there is no autism or Aspergers.

If we cured Thomas Jefferson of being different their will be no Declaration of Independence. If we cure Marie Curie of Autism there is no diagnostic tools. It is slippery slope..

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 10:14 pm

EliteEnigma57 wrote:
As much as I hate the pro-cure movement and those involved in it (the mere mention of Jenny McCarthy makes my blood boil), it seems that you've had much more experience with autism than others who want it to be cured since you actually have it. Still, I think that you should reconsider. I know it may seem like autism is only a negative thing for you, but there are also positive aspects as well, just as there are positive and negative aspects to being neurotypical.

I can understand why some savants or math and science geniuses wouldn't want to be cured. I do have strengths like everyone else, but non of them are related to ASD. I want to be cured because I won't have to put 90% of my energy into being normal. I still feel like I do a crappy job of being normal. When I go home I always shut down and spend time in my room. A lot of times I have to run around like a ret*d to get all the stress out. When I'm doing this I lose awareness of my surroundings. If people interrupt me when I'm doing this I end up screaming at the top of my lungs and screaming at people to leave me alone. After the incidents I usually apologize and ask them to not talk to me after a certain time. If I can lock the door I always keep it locked so I have time to calm down and act normal if anyone wants to talk to me. If I was NT I wouldn't have to deal with all this BS.

WhitneyM

10 Feb 2013, 10:43 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
EliteEnigma57 wrote:

I can understand why some savants or math and science geniuses wouldn't want to be cured. I do have strengths like everyone else, but non of them are related to ASD. I want to be cured because I won't have to put 90% of my energy into being normal. I still feel like I do a crappy job of being normal. When I go home I always shut down and spend time in my room. A lot of times I have to run around like a ret*d to get all the stress out. When I'm doing this I lose awareness of my surroundings. If people interrupt me when I'm doing this I end up screaming at the top of my lungs and screaming at people to leave me alone. After the incidents I usually apologize and ask them to not talk to me after a certain time. If I can lock the door I always keep it locked so I have time to calm down and act normal if anyone wants to talk to me. If I was NT I wouldn't have to deal with all this BS.

I honestly disagree with that Last statement. I seen the same BS given to NT as much as Aspies. I have people I know who do that are not Aspies.

It is the same amount BS people are handling but they seem to cope better than Aspies. I said Seemed on purpose they hide the fact of not coping much better. I known NT having same problems as Aspies when comes to society and pressure around it. It lends it self to another topic that the ills of society. I do not believe being an Aspie and NT will make bit a difference when comes to this.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 10:53 pm

I looked at the link you provide at the signature line of your posts, after watching this thread for a few weeks I just got curious, I don't know anyhing about the music you appear to listen to and I honestly don't care, if you looked at 75% of my music collection you may very well come to the same conclusion. Point is the type of independent/non conformist thinking it takes to appreate stuff like that is an Aspergers trait, I have spent the weekend in my room doing nothing for the same reasons you mention, its the price we pay to have the freedom we have with our thoughts.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 1:01 am

I'm a drumhead and I don't wish to be cured. I don't come close to being a math or science genus and I still don't wish to be cured.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 4:20 am

rapidroy wrote:
I looked at the link you provide at the signature line of your posts, after watching this thread for a few weeks I just got curious, I don't know anyhing about the music you appear to listen to and I honestly don't care, if you looked at 75% of my music collection you may very well come to the same conclusion. Point is the type of independent/non conformist thinking it takes to appreate stuff like that is an Aspergers trait, I have spent the weekend in my room doing nothing for the same reasons you mention, its the price we pay to have the freedom we have with our thoughts.

I disagree with you. Most of the Aspies I know listen to top 40 radio and are conformists.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 10:08 am

For fear of bullying my collection through high school was divided into stuff I would show people and stuff that would be better off left for alone time becouse I knew people would not understand.

I don't know any other aspies outside this fourm however my listening to any popular radio isn't becouse I love it, its becouse what I like most isn't available on the dial so I find the closest I can since I hate complete silence, then switch back and forth if they play something I really hate, some top 40 stations do have indie shows and hour long features that I wait for, along with great DJs, decent selections of alturnitive anything. Not all aspies are alike and i'm sure some don't care much for music at all and therefore have no real prefrence, its just one of my special intrests, maybe yours and cockney rebels too. Edit: I supose I am not discribeing top 40 radio am I?

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

27 Feb 2013, 12:41 am

DevilKisses wrote:
I want to be cured because having AS makes me miserable. I don't fit with the NTs or Aspies. I can't usually related to other Aspies. A lot of people here seem to be proud of their AS. I want to be NT because I want proper relationships. I don't think anyone actually likes me. The people who claim to like me are people who like children. They treat me like I'm younger than them even if they're the same age or younger than me. I don't want to be in a relationship where my significant other considers themselves my caretaker.
My younger sister acts like she's my mom or older sister. I really hate when she does that. It makes me very depressed. She does that to everyone a bit, but I think she ended up this way because of me.
I can relate to some people, but they are very hard to find and they're usually NT. I usually try to act NT around them because I don't want them to start treating me like I'm different. I don't really have any friends right now. My ideal friends/significant others are NTs who I can relate to and are clueless about my condition. Most people with AS drive me crazy. I do get along with a few of them, but most of the time I don't. I usually don't like hanging out with people on the spectrum because I'm afraid they'll blow my cover. I know that acting NT drains a lot of energy. I am willing to act NT if I can have proper relationships. I know I will have to rest. If I could be cured I would be able to act NT without my energy being drained.
This post probably doesn't make very much sense. I'm tired and depressed right now.

Sounds like something I could have written. No, you're not alone. :-) I do feel like giving you a hug, however. :)

Maybe we should form our own club. Our slogan could be "Even the right planet is still wrong." Or something. I'm tired.

Last edited by Tyri0n on 27 Feb 2013, 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

27 Feb 2013, 12:55 am

DevilKisses wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I embrace myself the way that I am, because that's the way that God wants me to be. :)

According to my mom I was completely normal before I was 18 months old. If god exists he probably would have meant for me to be completely normal like I was before I was 18 months old. Since that didn't happen I doubt his existence now.

Or, if God exists, s/he is a neutral force. I've never understood the idea of "God intended, so be it." I'm pretty sure anyone who contracted a severe flu would take Vitamin C or medications. If God intended me to have autism, he likely intended me to have the flu also, so I shouldn't take Vitamin C when I have one? lulz

It's pretty common for children to disintegrate at a certain age and unlearn even the NT development they had before. It happened to me as well.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 11:12 pm

Hold on to school!

Devilkisses I read one of your earlier posts, and you mentioned about dropping out. Huge mistake. Then you will have less of a chance at a quiet job that won't overstimulate. Stick it through. High school is tough. I went through what I thought was a bad locker room bullying incident, and a couple years of no friends. It gets better, particularly in postsecondary. Please stick it out.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2013, 10:34 am

Younger siblings can think of themselves as older or maturer especially if they are the motherly type. Don't worry about it. I know that my younger siblings were more street aware than I was faster. I have plenty of experience with three sisters. Don't worry. It comes with the territory of being a sister. The only problem is when your parents compare you, as mind did on occasion.

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2013, 3:50 pm

If there was a cure button - I would of pressed it at least fifteen years ago.
I see absolutely no benefits in staying like this. None.

salem44dream
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2013, 9:22 pm

When it's a matter of life or death -- and depression is the looming cloud I keep dodging away from -- then, yes, you do wish there was a cure. This is PAINFUL!

Speaking of a cure, I saw a news story about chromosomes 15 and 16 as they relate to autism, but now I can't find it anymore. Have there been any scientific breakthroughs? I'll sign up for a clinical trial, even if I'm only getting a placebo ...