Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 7:32 pm

Americans! Stop spending your money on entertainment! That money could go to autism research. It's the country's money, not yours. That's why it's not ok to have too much music on your iPod, or, if you're female, buy too many clothes...America doesn't have an unlimited supply of money, even if the mint creates it...because there are only so many trees to make paper. So not only does wasting money on the wrong things darken the future for autism--it wastes paper. Be a minimalist, help the 1 in 88!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 7:38 pm

that money could help lots of other intractable problems in this world, as well.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 7:42 pm

Kiki1256 wrote:
Americans! Stop spending your money on entertainment! That money could go to autism research. It's the country's money, not yours. That's why it's not ok to have too much music on your iPod, or, if you're female, buy too many clothes...America doesn't have an unlimited supply of money, even if the mint creates it...because there are only so many trees to make paper. So not only does wasting money on the wrong things darken the future for autism--it wastes paper. Be a minimalist, help the 1 in 88!

Kiki, the money I make is mine, and I will decide what to spend it on. Communism, where all property is held in common, was a disaster, is dead, and we should show we're smart enough to learn from history by not even thinking about resurrecting it.

As far as money coming from paper, I have to wonder who has been teaching you economics. Less than five percent of the dollars in circulation are on paper. The rest are all zeroes and ones on computers.

If you want to spend your hard-earned dollars on autism research, the more power to you. But please accord to the rest of us the same discretion to spend our money as we please.

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 7:45 pm

I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to do this. Sometimes I go too far with advocating for autism rights. I didn't mean to upset anyone. I guess I impulsively sounded too opinionated. I feel terrible. :oops:

Last edited by Kiki1256 on 12 Jul 2013, 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 7:47 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
As far as money coming from paper, I have to wonder who has been teaching you economics. Less than five percent of the dollars in circulation are on paper. The rest are all zeroes and ones on computers.

If you want to spend your hard-earned dollars on autism research, the more power to you. But please accord to the rest of us the same discretion to spend our money as we please.

Is tree farming suddenly becoming lucrative? :P

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 7:48 pm

Kiki1256 wrote:
I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to do this. Sometimes I go too far with advocating for autism rights. I didn't mean to upset anyone.

Kiki, I'm most assuredly not offended. The only thing that offends me is a bad attitude, and I certainly think your heart is in the right place.

What is it you mean by autism rights?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 7:54 pm

if you added up all the small changed rounded up to the nearest dollar or what have you, lots of money becomes available for world improvements. all it takes is more public goodwill. we can make a better world if enough of us want it enough, to at least be able to part with our change.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 7:54 pm

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:

Is tree farming suddenly becoming lucrative? :P

Twenty years ago, when I owned property in east Texas, I received several solicitations to sell my timber for between two and five dollars apiece for my oak trees. Oak trees are a lot like pretty women: Oak trees look their best when the remain where they sprouted, and pretty women look their best in nice outfits :wink:

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 8:14 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
Kiki1256 wrote:
I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to do this. Sometimes I go too far with advocating for autism rights. I didn't mean to upset anyone.

Kiki, I'm most assuredly not offended. The only thing that offends me is a bad attitude, and I certainly think your heart is in the right place.

I believe that autistics have the right to be respected and understood by society. Also, they have the right not to have to spend $30,000 on a private school for autism or $12,000 on neurofeedback--which, by the way, is high-tech therapy that changes the way the brain works. And by "rights," I don't mean just government rights--especially because the government has nothing to do with the rights I mentioned in this post.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 8:21 pm

Kiki1256 wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
Kiki1256 wrote:

I believe that autistics have the right to be respected and understood by society. Also, they have the right not to have to spend $30,000 on a private school for autism or $12,000 on neurofeedback--which, by the way, is high-tech therapy that changes the way the brain works. And by "rights," I don't mean just government rights--especially because the government has nothing to do with the rights I mentioned in this post.

What about the rights of the people you expect to pay for all this?

As far as respect goes, respect is always earned, even by NT's. I'm not sure why you think it should be given for free to asies, even if such a thing were possible.

Having said this, dignity is a different matter. Dignity is something our Western beliefs dictate should be accorded to everybody, and all too frequently it is not accorded to aspies. I'm just not sure what can be done about it. Demanding anything from others is liable to backfire by making us even more disliked.

I've come to the conclusion that the best thing for aspies is to be the best we can possibly be, create lives for ourselves that fit our own unique needs, and not worry about the rest. Not only will we be happier, but the rest of the world will then have reason the respect us, even if they can't always like us.