Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

CoolConfucius
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Mar 2013, 6:36 pm

Hello folks. In the university I go to, there's a project called the Tunnel of Oppression. I'm planning on making a proposal on the topic of Autism. Before I submit the form, I'd like to gather more information, ideas, and perspectives. I want to make sure my information is accurate and non offensive. I appreciate any sort of comments.

The registration form says:
"Topics that have been done in the past include:

Sex and Gender: Violence against women, rape, assault, gender stereotypes, body image
Religion, religious discrimination
Sexuality, LGBTQ discrimination
Racism, communities of color, discrimination
Immigration
Sustainability/Environmental justice

This year’s goal is to focus more on the oppression we see around SCU. Is it in the community? Are certain things swept under the rug? How has oppression changed? What are some topics of oppression that are new and unfortunately gaining momentum? Obviously we want to think globally but we hope you can come up with some interesting ideas about how to tie in your life and the lives of others around SCU."

My topic idea:
Students on the autistic spectrum (officially diagnosed or display traits). Autistic students may not have the same social understanding as neurotypical students. Some students on campus may say things that are offensive to autistic students. Students on the spectrum may have difficulty in social interaction and I feel a lack of available resources on this campus.

My display idea:
There will be articles on posts on the walls regarding oppression on autistic people. I may have some articles regarding autism and school shooting. If you know any good relevant articles, please link them to me.

A laptop will play a list of videos. One or a few videos may talk about what is offensive to autistics. A few videos may educate viewers on autism. If you know any good relevant videos, please link them to me.

I may also include some statistics on autism. Are more people being diagnosed recently? How many have college or post college education? What majors? What careers?

I'm also thinking about having anonymous letters. Students who identify on the spectrum may write their experiences anonymously (or identify themselves if they feel comfortable). Students who don't identify on the spectrum may write about their experiences with people who are on the spectrum. It could be their friends or family. Students may also write their impressions regarding the topic on autism.

Please let me know what you think!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2013, 7:22 pm

hiya CC :) welcome to our cool club 8)

CoolConfucius
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Mar 2013, 7:31 pm

Thanks for the welcome, auntblabby! :)

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 3:18 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! Good luck with your research--hope you find some info here. :D

CoolConfucius
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Apr 2013, 2:44 am

Thanks, DarkRain! :D