Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 9:42 pm

Does anyone know if/when/where Autreat is scheduled for in 2013?

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 10:58 pm

If anyone knows, I would like to be informed, too.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 1:35 pm

The dates and location for Autreat 2013 are still being discussed.

What is already known, regarding dates, is that Autreat 2013 will be scheduled for sometime between the third week of June and the final week of August.
The Autreat-information group currently has an open poll about which weeks (within the above time-frame) are possible for prospective participants to attend Autreat 2013. If you want to vote in that poll, then join the Autreat-information group, then go to its polls section and vote.
Autreat-information group: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/autreatinfo/

Previous Autreats always took place in either New York (state) or Pennsylvania.
For the past decade or so, it has always been in Pennsylvania. Autreat's venues over the last few years have been:
* Ambler Campus of Temple University (just outside Philadelphia). (2005-2007)
* University of Pittsburgh at Bradford. (2008-2010)
* University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown. (2011-2012)

While this year's Autreat may have a new venue, I guess it will be a university campus, in either PA or NY.

http://www.autscape.org/

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 7:10 am

KenG wrote:
The Autreat-information group currently has an open poll about which weeks (within the above time-frame) are possible for prospective participants to attend Autreat 2013. If you want to vote in that poll, then join the Autreat-information group, then go to its polls section and vote.
Autreat-information group: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/autreatinfo/
If you are thinking of going to Autreat 2013 and still havn't voted in the poll, then please join Autreat-information and vote today.
Autreat's organizing committee don't have a final venue decision yet, but they're at a point in negotiations where it would help to have first- and second-choice dates to consider.

http://www.autscape.org/

DonkeyHotei
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Mar 2013, 11:17 pm

Dates and venue finalized. Aug 5-9 at the California University of Pennsylvania in California, PA. Nearest major airport is Pittsburgh. Registration fees will be announced next week and are said to be "no higher than" last year's.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 10:50 am

Hmmmm, off the PA turnpike (I-76), and not that (comparatively) far from Pittsburgh proper.

Anyone from WP planning to attend?

DonkeyHotei
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Mar 2013, 12:01 pm

AgentPalpatine wrote:
Anyone from WP planning to attend?
Duh. Why do you think there is a thread?

DonkeyHotei
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Mar 2013, 12:04 pm

DonkeyHotei wrote:
And before you say "Because I made one," it's not a thread until there is more than one post.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 12:05 pm

DonkeyHotei wrote:

LOL, I was the OP on this thread, so it's a fair question. I was hoping to find out who might be attending in 4 months.

DonkeyHotei
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Mar 2013, 12:06 pm

Heh, beat you by a full minute!

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 2:17 pm

What does one do at Autreat? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm the only Aspie in this area (the middle of nowhere) for miles.

DonkeyHotei
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Mar 2013, 2:21 pm

HereBeDragons wrote:
What does one do at Autreat? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm the only Aspie in this area (the middle of nowhere) for miles.
It's a hybrid conference/retreat by autistics, for autistics: http://www.autreat.com/autreat.html

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 2:27 pm

I want to attend, but I'll be taking a whole lot of courses this summer, so I don't think I'll be able to. I'm quite sure I'll be going next summer, though.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

DonkeyHotei
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Mar 2013, 2:30 pm

MathGirl wrote:
I want to attend, but I'll be taking a whole lot of courses this summer, so I don't think I'll be able to. I'm quite sure I'll be going next summer, though.
If perchance your summer semester overlaps Autreat by less than a week, I'm sure you could get special dispensation.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 3:47 pm

Never mind, I didn't see the dates posted. I might actually be able to make it, depending on when my exams are. I'll probably be a last-minute registrant, if so.

Autreat is really cool. However, I want to propose to them to remove the NT panel before they finalize the schedule. I am realizing more and more how horrible something like that is, and while it's not entirely positive for NTs to put us on panels at autism conferences, we shouldn't do the same to NTs at our conferences, I think. I take this stance because some NTs who attended Autreat last year were very unhappy just because of the NT panel and the kinds of questions the audience asked them. One person I know said she would never come back again just because of that. I feel like we need to do whatever it takes to keep NTs in our community and encourage them to get on our level, not bring them down, because our ultimate goal is to be able to break down the boundaries that labels pose, not to increase the divide. I don't support NT-created panels, but I simply wouldn't push it further. I think I'll propose this change after I finish my exams and will therefore have time to engage in a two-sided dialogue and explain myself better, I just hope things won't be finalized yet by that time.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

DonkeyHotei
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Mar 2013, 4:22 pm

Personally, I'm often glad to be able to participate on autistic panels at NT conferences, but if you oppose the inverse, feel free to voice that in the Yahoo Group linked above. You will be listened to, regardless of what they finally decide on the matter.