Do you want to be cured
Yes 30%  30%  [ 57 ]
No 70%  70%  [ 135 ]
Total votes : 192

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 4:47 am

I want to be cured because having AS makes me miserable. I don't fit with the NTs or Aspies. I can't usually related to other Aspies. A lot of people here seem to be proud of their AS. I want to be NT because I want proper relationships. I don't think anyone actually likes me. The people who claim to like me are people who like children. They treat me like I'm younger than them even if they're the same age or younger than me. I don't want to be in a relationship where my significant other considers themselves my caretaker.
My younger sister acts like she's my mom or older sister. I really hate when she does that. It makes me very depressed. She does that to everyone a bit, but I think she ended up this way because of me.
I can relate to some people, but they are very hard to find and they're usually NT. I usually try to act NT around them because I don't want them to start treating me like I'm different. I don't really have any friends right now. My ideal friends/significant others are NTs who I can relate to and are clueless about my condition. Most people with AS drive me crazy. I do get along with a few of them, but most of the time I don't. I usually don't like hanging out with people on the spectrum because I'm afraid they'll blow my cover. I know that acting NT drains a lot of energy. I am willing to act NT if I can have proper relationships. I know I will have to rest. If I could be cured I would be able to act NT without my energy being drained.
This post probably doesn't make very much sense. I'm tired and depressed right now.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 5:32 am

Whether an individual wishes to be cured or not is a very personal decision. I don't think I want to be cured personally, but there are others that do. That's their thing and it's neither right nor wrong. There are some that have not benefited from autism in any way and it's understandable why they would want a cure. The only reason there is a debate about it is because of the medical ethics issues it raises regarding the potential of it being forced on people who do not want it and people that likely wouldn't get much if any benefit from it. If a cure could be restricted to those that could give informed consent, there would be no controversy.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 6:59 am

DevilKisses wrote:
I want to be cured because having AS makes me miserable. I don't fit with the NTs or Aspies. I can't usually related to other Aspies. A lot of people here seem to be proud of their AS. I want to be NT because I want proper relationships. I don't think anyone actually likes me. The people who claim to like me are people who like children. They treat me like I'm younger than them even if they're the same age or younger than me. I don't want to be in a relationship where my significant other considers themselves my caretaker.
My younger sister acts like she's my mom or older sister. I really hate when she does that. It makes me very depressed. She does that to everyone a bit, but I think she ended up this way because of me.
I can relate to some people, but they are very hard to find and they're usually NT. I usually try to act NT around them because I don't want them to start treating me like I'm different. I don't really have any friends right now. My ideal friends/significant others are NTs who I can relate to and are clueless about my condition. Most people with AS drive me crazy. I do get along with a few of them, but most of the time I don't. I usually don't like hanging out with people on the spectrum because I'm afraid they'll blow my cover. I know that acting NT drains a lot of energy. I am willing to act NT if I can have proper relationships. I know I will have to rest. If I could be cured I would be able to act NT without my energy being drained.
This post probably doesn't make very much sense. I'm tired and depressed right now.
there are many people here who feel the same way as you.but they dont post as much in this forum so there viewpoints arent heard as much.but many agree with you and your not as out numbered as it may seem to you

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 7:14 am

No, you are not the only person who wants to be cured.

I don't want to be cured. I want to be accepted. I think everyone who's remotely prosocial ought to be accepted-- us, and the transsexuals, and the mimes (lol-- figure of speech).

I don't think that's going to happen.

I want to be accepted. But if a cure were available, I'd settle for that.

Hell, I settled for nine months of dying slowly on risperidone because I thought it made me more normal (or at least less me).

Now, that's a travesty...

...but I've heard worse.

NO. You are most emphatically NOT alone.

I do wish for you the luxury of liking yourself, though. It's nice.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 7:54 am

I just hate my low self esteem. Now if there was a pill for that, that'd be nice.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 10:52 am

Being neurotypical would not necessarily guarantee all of those things you desire it would just mean you have a normal functioning brain. Also though if you went from autistic to neurotypical it might be weird trying to adjust to a brain that works completely differently. Anyways I doubt you are the only one who wants to be cured I've seen that opinion more than once......I personally don't see a cure happening and even if it did I am not so sure I'd want it.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 12:05 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I personally don't see a cure happening and even if it did I am not so sure I'd want it.

I don't really see a cure happening either. I just wish there was one so I could have proper relationships and not be treated differently.

Chris71
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jan 2013, 12:48 pm

I don't think the word 'cure' is a good one to use because many on the spectrum like to think that their aspieness is a significant part of their personality.
Maybe re-pose the question as, "would you like to be relieved of your sensory/hypersensitivity issues", or "do you wish you had the ability to read other peoples states of mind more naturally".
That way they will not take it as an attack on their personality/individuality as many aspies love their individual quirks - nothing wrong with that of course.
The only thing that I would really want see an end to, is the attitude of some delusionally proud aspies who love their condition so much that they think they have the right to block any medical or neurological research or future medications which other aspies may be crying out for. Then they preach NTs as being the selfish ones.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 8:37 pm

Treated, not cured. God forbid I was cured and I turn out like my older stepbrother: a hunk who has dated a Snooki-alike who parties too hearty. Granted though, I say a few things: first, don't cure those who don't want to be cured, in general, don't treat autism like a disease and treat all with autism with humane dignity.

Last edited by Northeastern292 on 08 Jan 2013, 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 8:57 pm

Chris71 wrote:
I don't think the word 'cure' is a good one to use because many on the spectrum like to think that their aspieness is a significant part of their personality.
Maybe re-pose the question as, "would you like to be relieved of your sensory/hypersensitivity issues", or "do you wish you had the ability to read other peoples states of mind more naturally".
That way they will not take it as an attack on their personality/individuality as many aspies love their individual quirks - nothing wrong with that of course.
The only thing that I would really want see an end to, is the attitude of some delusionally proud aspies who love their condition so much that they think they have the right to block any medical or neurological research or future medications which other aspies may be crying out for. Then they preach NTs as being the selfish ones.

I certainly wouldn't want to block medical or neurological research because for one its interesting and also the more heavily researched something the better, I would hope if they heavily research any treatments or cures to make sure they are safe and to find out what the risks are.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

08 Jan 2013, 11:54 pm

DevilKisses:

You're not the only one who wants a cure. It is understandable that you don't feel like you can relate to others, or get a social foothold for friendships. A lot of us know that pain, myself included. The cure controversy on Wrong Planet comes from individuals who would not want a cure forced on them, and several believe that they will lose their unique and quirky personalities that they have come to like, despite all the associated issues. If you want a cure, that is okay.

My personal opinion of a cure is pretty similar to most of what you normally see. I don't wish to be cured, and I certainly don't want a cure forced on me. Although there are things I can live without, my autistic side is something that I've grown to respect. I feel like I would be taking a part of myself away, and many members would say the same. I am honestly indifferent about being diagnosed with an ASD. I don't really worry about who knows and who talks about it. I'm not proud of it, but I don't hate it either. It's pretty difficult for a teenager not to have any major self esteem issues. I'll admit that I'm happy with the way I am, because I'm me (there are a few things I could work on though).

None of us are perfect, but I want you to know that if you do want a cure, I believe you deserve one. (No thanks for me, though.)

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 11:56 pm

I think i'm starting to realise that sometimes you just have to just say screw it, i'm different and if someone has a problem they can deal with it, its not my fault.

I often get sick of the whole AS pride thing too but what other choice is there then to try to turn your lemons into some lemonade? I just think trying to be something your not is a good way to be depressed and you don't have to have AS to get stuck in that trap, but you knew that already.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 8:57 am

Personally, there isn't a need for me to search for something to "cure" myself of my AS. Unlike some in the ASD community, I respect either viewpoint. I do, however dislike the notion that somebody (usually someone or a group of people on the outside) has to "cure" us and that said individual(s) feel that we don't know what's best for us. That I disagree with. If somebody wanted to cure themselves (provided one was available), I see no reason to prevent them from doing so.

The_Taminator
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jan 2013, 3:51 pm

I think even among the proud anti-cure types, if you caught them on a bad day, anyone would wish they were normal. Sometimes it wears you down. Trying to be NT all the time will wear you down, too.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 8:32 pm

The_Taminator wrote:
I think even among the proud anti-cure types, if you caught them on a bad day, anyone would wish they were normal. Sometimes it wears you down. Trying to be NT all the time will wear you down, too.
ever heard the expresion"which ever dog barks the loudest is the most scared".your right in your post,i would say very often who ever talks the proudest feels the most humble

ThanksHermione
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jan 2013, 12:58 am

I was recently diagnosed with ASD at 24 and it has provided so many answers to why I am the way that I am. I thought that I was the only person like this.

I used to desire to be normal, but the other day I started to think about how good can be brought out of suffering. If I hadn't been diagnosed or if I didn't have someone close to me who has this condition, would I honestly research it like I've been doing? I honestly don't think so.

What I'm going through has been showing me how to be empathetic towards others who may not fit the "norm." Autism isn't all what the media and others in society portray it to be. Not everyone with the condition acts the same and difficulties can be managed. Those on the spectrum are not burdens, but human beings whether they are low or high functioning.

If a cure becomes available, then those that want it can go for it, but it shouldn't be forced. I can easily see family members, schools, and the government trying to pressure those on the spectrum to get it though "for their own good."