Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Have you ever been bullied for having Asperger's?
Not at all, people just accept it 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Yes, very severely to the point of harassment/assault 52%  52%  [ 43 ]
Yes, but only moderately 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
I hide my Asperger's Syndrome from people 27%  27%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 83

ResidentZero
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Aug 2013, 10:27 pm

I have Asperger's Syndrome and I've been bullied for a ton of reasons, since the 2nd grade. I wrote "Sysco" when I was thirteen, as a book about school bullying. I decided after another year-and-a-half of being bullied, to have it published. More than making thousands of dollars or selling my book's rights, I just want people to listen, because for all that schools do to prevent bullying, schools are run by adults, and maybe the problem of bullying is because something is missing in the anti-bullying movement: the point of view of a kid. There's only so far schools will go, but bullies go as far as possible. I've had kids throw garbage at me, I've had them trip me in assemblies in front of the whole school, I've had people pretend to be my friend, I've had them target my little brother (who is autistic as well), and I could spend hours going on about what they've done, but I got my book series published to help other kids in the same situation. So please raise awareness of it, because I have friends who've gone through the same thing, and there are kids all over the world who are even worse off.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 5:22 pm

I believe we need cameras in school hallways and classrooms with the ability to record sound.

Nira
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jul 2018, 3:02 am

I didn't hide it because I didn't know about Asperger's, It was not a direct reason. But my behavior could be the first cause.
Physical I was able to defend myself even though I was the smallest.
But I was not able defend self verbally. Psychic bullying for nine years. I don't want choose serverity. Maybe it was moderately, but longerm.
And my parents and teachers knew it and did nothing.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2018, 4:40 pm

I didn't find out til I graduated high school. After high school most people aren't so butthurt about these things.

Spectral Aurtist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2018, 7:08 pm

green0star wrote:
I didn't find out til I graduated high school. After high school most people aren't so butthurt about these things.

I think Butthurt is kinda Inflammatory. I had rocks thrown at my skull, I was lured into the HS auditorium during a rally, told that I had won a kiss from the head cheerleader (who I had a crush on) and then I was pantsed in front of the entire auditorium (though she did still kiss me because she thought I was cute, so it wasn't a total loss), I was "hunted" between school and home and eventually caught by a truck full of young guys with baseball bats because I didn't like having pennies flicked at my head in class.

maybe I have the definition of "butthurt" wrong, I have this idea that it means "Being unjustifiably and excessively upset about things that really aren't that bad". If people are chasing you with baseball bats, and throwing rocks at your head, and trying to sexually humiliate you in front of hundreds of people...I don't think that is butthurt, I think that sort of thing is ...pretty bad.

I am going to go ahead and say that Cameras sound nice but socialized karate lessons sound nicer.

Okkano
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jul 2018, 10:57 am

Alot of martial arts are not really useful.
I had a decent amount of martial arts as a kid (forced onto me) mostly taek won do, and karate also seems to be one of the rather useless martial arts thats more made to look good and only is useful at fighting against the same techniques with uptight rules.
9 years of that, and the stuff that we had to learn isn't really useful by itself but still something. In combination with other things like piano i learned to use my coordination in a way that it went from totally bad to semi NT in slower.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2018, 1:35 am

I don't usually tell people that I'm on the spectrum, but I do get bullied. They can sense that something is off about me and treat differently because of it.

Okkano

05 Jul 2018, 1:47 am

I would actually choose both hide and bullied

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2018, 10:08 am

I would say I was been bullied primarily for bieng the shortest guy in the class and one of the few Jewish people in my school district.

I think my Austistic traits(nobody including myself knew I was autistic) significantly exacerbated the bullying both in making me an attractive target and causing me to react in ways that made me evan a more attractive target.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2018, 11:00 am

No one knew that I had Aspergers when I was a kid. Back then the public didn't even know yet that it existed. But they did bully me for having traits that would later be known as aspie: My obsession with Garfield comics, my special interest and talent for drawing cartoons, my poor social skills, my lack of *wanting* to be social, and so on.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2018, 2:05 pm

When I was a kid, I was bullied constantly. Back then, nobody in this country knew what Asperger's was, so I had been pigeonholed as "hyperactive," as the school psychologist apparently had no idea how else to describe me. Many of the other kids called me ret*d even when I was the smartest kid in class.

Richard_the_ Dogged
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jul 2018, 6:14 pm

Bullying has existed long before anyone was talking about Autism or Aspergers.

But I think it true that schools subject kids to a kind of mandatory conformity, herd think. The one they now say has Autism or Asperger's is the one who will not submit to herd think.

Newbie on this forum.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 9:51 pm

I was bullied in school. It mainly took the form of mild harassment. I was bullied because I was different in grades 8-12. I was bullied in grades K-7 because some of the kids liked to presume that I was inferior to them. I hated school with a passion.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 10:05 pm

I hated school as well.

In grade school I was very uncoordinated and I walked "pigeon toed". I was teased incessantly for that with kids imitating my walk and laughing. It was hard for me to figure out when/how to kick the ball during the daily kick ball game during recess. The teacher would pick two team captains before lunch/recess and the captains would alternate picking kids for their team until everyone was chosen. Nearly every time I was the last one standing to be chosen with all the girls picked before me. No offense, girls, but being a boy in the 1970's, that was very hard to take.

Junior high I was picked on at a more physical level. Getting my books knocked out of my hands in the hall between classes often. One day before the start of social studies, a kid in the next row looked at me and said "I'm going to kick your butt." He was smiling at the time and laughed so I assumed that was a joke? I figured I'd play along and so I said the same thing back to him. The next day, the same thing: He said that to me and then I said it back to him. Only a few days later, he said: "Alright, let's go outside right now!" The teacher was frequently very late to class and sometimes didn't even show up. We went out of the classroom and everyone followed. I assumed the joke was still on. He proceeded to punch me in the face. I was shocked and didn't know what to do. As a reflex, I punched him back in the face and knocked him down. I figured it was probably a good idea to head back into class to my seat. He never said that again and he had a huge black eye the next day. I never knew why that all happened that way.

Wijogr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jul 2018, 10:32 pm

I was a weak small kid in school. A private religious school. I never fit in and didn’t have friends. I got bullied a lot. I couldn’t understand why I was being treated so bad. I didn’t bother other kids. But I appeared weak to the pack of wolves so I got it. In 7th grade I was placed in an inner city public school. Things only got worse. I was beaten quite a few times for not fitting in. Hospitalized once. Treated like a nuisance by teachers. I was even told once that I was annoying by a teacher because I asked too many questions. (Questions the teachers couldn’t answer) I then went from being weak, meek and kind to a holy terror. Drugs, drinking, assault, car theft, breaking and entering etc... Nobody knew I was autistic. Not even me. I didn’t understand why this crap was happening. So from my perspective, bullying lead me to make choices that almost destroyed my life. I don’t think it can be stopped. NT’s will always be NT’s just like we’ll always be who we are.

Nira
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jul 2018, 6:29 am

Magna wrote:
In grade school I was very uncoordinated and I walked "pigeon toed". I was teased incessantly for that with kids imitating my walk and laughing. It was hard for me to figure out when/how to kick the ball during the daily kick ball game during recess. The teacher would pick two team captains before lunch/recess and the captains would alternate picking kids for their team until everyone was chosen. Nearly every time I was the last one standing to be chosen with all the girls picked before me. No offense, girls, but being a boy in the 1970's, that was very hard to take.

Yes, it is stupid system how to split children into teams.
I've always been the last one too.
The teacher must see that the same child is chosen every time last. And then NT's have empathy...