ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 3:10 pm

https://twitter.com/hashtag/endautismnow?src=hash

If she was expecting a positive reaction she got the opposite

Quote:
Simon Baron-Cohen
I am disgusted by the #EndAutismNow campaign. This is hate speech and eugenics. How is this different to the Nazi EndJewsNow (1939-45) & the KKK white supremacist EndBlacksNow campaigns (1860-2018)? Treat symptoms in autistic people that cause suffering, but don't prevent autism

Lauren norman
Hay @JennyMcCarthy
I am a person deserving of respect
I don’t destroy family’s mines loves , values and respects me
I’m not a burden
I’m not a tragedy
I’m #ActuallyAutistic and I don’t need to be ended instead of calling to #EndAutismNow why don’t you try to #EndAbleismNow

Dr. Catherine Sawyer
It would appear Jenny McCarthy’s ‘call to arms’ video to #EndAutismNow has been deleted on Facebook. Think it’s fair to say that the autistic community won’t forget this happened. Ever.

Diary of a Disabled Person.
So people wanna #EndAutismNow even though scientists don't know much about autism, but things we can prevent RIGHT NOW like polio & mumps are making a comeback because people won't get #vaccinated? Because an old study with provably false data said they might cause autism.

I’ve just found out about #EndAutismNow and I’m close to crying.

I already can’t stand having it. This crap from Jenny McCarthy is only making things so much worse, and it’s so dangerous to autistic individuals.
#ActuallyAutistic

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 3:24 pm

"End autism now" does not mean "Exterminate autistic people".

It means "Relieve people of their autistic symptoms".

Of course, I realize that other people don't see it that way.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2018, 5:44 pm

I’m glad it got a negative response. If autistic traits are affecting someone negatively, then they absolutely have the right to seek treatment, but ending autism entirely implies ending the positives as well. Many autistic people can’t separate their autism from themselves, since it literally shapes their neurology, so ending autism, in my opinion, implies ending autistic people. Clearly no one would kill autistic people like in the other hateful campaigns described, but they would try to prevent them from being born, which isn’t much better. It’s on the level of gay conversion therapy.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 6:11 pm

My mom and I talked about this today. I'm glad the hashtag has been taken over by autistic people speaking out against it. People ought to accept us for who we are, instead of trying to change us.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 6:35 pm

The way people responded negatively was smart, but now we have yet another celebrity that is more unnecessarily hounded and in trouble with the public view because of making a damn tweet of something they probably should've kept private to begin with.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 9:17 pm

Jenny McCarthy has an autistic son, Evan. She has the mistaken belief that the condition of her son was a result of the vaccinations he received when he was a child. She was an actress, model, television host, author, screenwriter and a nude model for Playboy magazine and was later named their Playmate of the Year. She has used her celebrity status to spread the idea that vaccines caused autism. It is interesting that she describes her school years as an "outcast" at her school and has stated she was repeatedly bullied by classmates. Those are traits that many Aspies are all too familiar with. Since Autism is predominantly genetic. She may have passed some of these genetic traits down to her child.

McCarthy's claims that vaccines cause autism are not supported by any medical evidence, and the original paper by Andrew Wakefield that formed the basis for the claims was based on manipulated data and fraudulent research.

Like others on this thread have said, #EndAutismNow, did not imply killing those that have autism. It was a bad choice of hashtags on her part. But many Aspies take words quite literally. That is one of our traits.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 7:40 am

How about I create a counter banner EndStupidityNow, yes cause some people seemingly can't realize that despite the many difficulties a person faces within their entire lifetime along with family members,spouses, employees, etc a person can still be of a valuable asset to society as a whole.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 9:05 am

Fnord wrote:
"End autism now" does not mean "Exterminate autistic people".

It means "Relieve people of their autistic symptoms".

Of course, I realize that other people don't see it that way.

That is the sick part. These #EndAutismNow,#CureAutismNow people think they are advocating relieving symptoms but they are advocating for actions that would eliminate autistic people from the planet.

What they are saying is similar to saying we do not want to kill black people but relieve the “symptoms” of having a higher chance of bieng a criminal, being a victim of crime, bieng poor and getting sickle cell anemenia. Ending Blackness now would relieve families of the constant worry of thier kids bieng harmed because they drove or walked while black.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 14 Aug 2018, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 9:27 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
"End autism now" does not mean "Exterminate autistic people". It means "Relieve people of their autistic symptoms". Of course, I realize that other people don't see it that way.
That is the sick part. These #EndAutismNow,#CureAutismNow people think they are advocating relieving symptoms but they are advocating for actions that would eliminate autistic people from the planet. What they are saying is similar to saying we do not want to kill black people but relieve the “symptoms” of having a higher chance of bieng a criminal, being a victim of crime, bieng poor and getting sickle-cell anemia. Ending Blackness now would relive families of the constant worry of thier kids bieng harmed because they drove or walked while black.
Yes, that's the common fear -- an irrational fear, but a fear nonetheless.

I, for one, would have welcomed a medicine in my teen years that would have calmed me down and made me less clumsy and more able to tolerate crowds and noise, thereby making me more 'sociable'. Then again, I often wished that I lived in a perfect world where others would just be nice to me and not beat me up all the time.

But if that medicine had taken the edge off my intellect, then I would not have willingly taken it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 10:34 am

jimmy m wrote:
Jenny McCarthy has an autistic son, Evan. She has the mistaken belief that the condition of her son was a result of the vaccinations he received when he was a child. She was an actress, model, television host, author, screenwriter and a nude model for Playboy magazine and was later named their Playmate of the Year. She has used her celebrity status to spread the idea that vaccines caused autism. It is interesting that she describes her school years as an "outcast" at her school and has stated she was repeatedly bullied by classmates. Those are traits that many Aspies are all too familiar with. Since Autism is predominantly genetic. She may have passed some of these genetic traits down to her child.

McCarthy's claims that vaccines cause autism are not supported by any medical evidence, and the original paper by Andrew Wakefield that formed the basis for the claims was based on manipulated data and fraudulent research.

Like others on this thread have said, #EndAutismNow, did not imply killing those that have autism. It was a bad choice of hashtags on her part. But many Aspies take words quite literally. That is one of our traits.

Outcast and bullied, could that be the reason she wants to end it?

Also didn't it turn out her son didn't have autism and he actually had another condition that starts with a K?

End autism now? Where does it say "Kill autistic people now"? Now that would be literal if it was actually written that way and we all actually thought she wanted to be Hitler and have us all killed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 10:37 am

Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
"End autism now" does not mean "Exterminate autistic people". It means "Relieve people of their autistic symptoms". Of course, I realize that other people don't see it that way.
That is the sick part. These #EndAutismNow,#CureAutismNow people think they are advocating relieving symptoms but they are advocating for actions that would eliminate autistic people from the planet. What they are saying is similar to saying we do not want to kill black people but relieve the “symptoms” of having a higher chance of bieng a criminal, being a victim of crime, bieng poor and getting sickle-cell anemia. Ending Blackness now would relive families of the constant worry of thier kids bieng harmed because they drove or walked while black.

I, for one, would have welcomed a medicine in my teen years that would have calmed me down and made me less clumsy and more able to tolerate crowds and noise, thereby making me more 'sociable'. Then again, I often wished that I lived in a perfect world where others would just be nice to me and not beat me up all the time.

But if that medicine had taken the edge off my intellect, then I would not have willingly taken it.

What if there was "end anxiety now" or "end learning difficulties now" or end OCD now or "end depression now"? None of that stuff would bother me and I wouldn't feel they wanted me eliminated. It would just meant they want people to stop struggling with those things. That is how I am viewing the whole "end autism now" slogan.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 11:13 am

But many of us see autism as part of who we are and feel that it brings positives as well as negatives. If you got rid of the autism, we would be completely different people. Non-autistic people shouldn't try to speak for us and say that our disability should be cured when many of us don't want a cure.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 11:16 am

Good, I'm glad to see there are still some people in the world that are actually intelligent and told her off.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 12:04 pm

If there was a safe, economical way to relieve the symptoms of autism, there would be fewer people why-ning on about "Why can't I make friends?", "Why can't I get a date?", "Why can't I get a job?", "Why do people pick on me?", "Why all of this sensory overload?", "Why are NTs so mean?", and so forth.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 12:29 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Also didn't it turn out her son didn't have autism and he actually had another condition that starts with a K?

According to Google, she was interviewed by Time magazine years ago which sparked a rumor her son might have had Landau Kleffner Syndrome, not autism.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 1:28 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:

What if there was "end anxiety now" or "end learning difficulties now" or end OCD now or "end depression now"? None of that stuff would bother me and I wouldn't feel they wanted me eliminated. It would just meant they want people to stop struggling with those things. That is how I am viewing the whole "end autism now" slogan.

If a cure for autism was found and it was mandatory it would not likely involve killing people. They would still be people but they would be allistic people. There would be no autistic people.