Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

imnotdifferent
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Nov 2013, 11:21 pm

OH MY GOD, I AM FED UP WITH THE PEOPLE I MEET NOWADAYS. Okay, so I am talking to this guy, right? I bring up my aspergers and he says "Gee, isn't that a form of autism? Funny, you don't seem stupid!" I explain to him the basics of the autism spectrum and he says "I thought everyone with autism had a mental retardation, because I met this one 12-year-old-kid who enjoyed stupid kid shows and had ADHD and was academically behind." *FACEPALM X2 C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!* I JUST WANTED TO SHARE THIS WITH ALL OF YOU, OH MY GOD I AM MAD.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2013, 12:55 am

The ignorant ones look at the high functioning autistic as being non-existent. It's not their fault. They've been inundated with stories of Rain Man and Forrest Gump and Adam and Dr. Sheldon Cooper so much that they don't realize there's a more subtle version, or invisible version, of autism.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2013, 4:53 am

hell is other people, at times.

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 3:51 pm

Some people seem to think it's invisible Autism, to the point they believe that there are no outside indicators.

My mother and I argued today when I started flapping my hands subtly, and she told me to stop and I looked like a ret*d