Page 1 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 9:30 pm

Watching Dr. Drew on Call tonight on HLN. With the recent shootings that happened at LAX this weekend, a forensic psychologist linked the shooter's actions again to Asperger's. They were also linking violent video games and social awkwardness to the shootings. When in the hell is the media going to get the message that violence <> ASD?

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 9:56 pm

I'm trying to find a link online that say people believe he has Aspergers. After Newtown last year, I am prepared to deal with this kind of naysaying more than ever now.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 10:10 pm

Did he say that the shooter was diagnosed, or was he just speculating irresponsibly?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 10:15 pm

I've read that he was quiet, a loner, ate lunch alone, was bullied and there wasn't anyone close to him.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... z2jjlglWno

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 10:17 pm

I still have never seen a definitive source saying Adam Lanza was on the spectrum

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2013, 12:06 am

What's the difference? It grabs ratings, gains notoriety-- it's good for the show. Who cares if it ruins a few freaks' lives?? No one likes them anyway. It's not as if they're PEOPLE...

SpookyKooks
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Nov 2013, 1:19 am

You know, it's really starting to get freaking scary with the way the media is portraying ASD. In fact, it is frighteningly similar to how Nazi Germany demonized the Jews. Also, another terrifying similarity is when the media started to show that people with ASD are better off dead. They may not say it outright, but the implications are obvious. For example, have any one of you ever seen a story going along the lines of "parent kills child with severe autistic disorder", and then sympathizing with said parent. Sure, if the child was autistic, they would say that the child was showing "increasingly violent behaviors" and that "the parent felt deeply threatened by the child". However, if you were to change the wording to "parent kills child", you would think that the parent was a murdering psychopath, no questions asked. In fact, if things go along the path that I think they're going, sooner or later children with ASD will be sent to the "happy farm" and then supposedly die of some disease. In truth they would be sent to a nice, pretty room, along with all the other disabled children, and promptly done away with. Now that you mention it, the Nazi's did that too, didn't they...

ChapterGrim
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Nov 2013, 2:19 am

Whether you are willing to accept it or not; people on the spectrum do get violent, and without support could kill...

I was given CBT as a result of my outbursts and the poor fools would've better hoped there is a God if I'd got my hands on an actual weapon - when I was younger anyway!

Its common enough for people with ASD to lash out; often in a rather chilling fashion...

Check out Ambrose Beirce' The Devil's Dictionary - notably "Mad"!
http://xroads.virginia.edu/~hyper/bierce/bierce.html

ChapterGrim
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Nov 2013, 2:24 am

There are two sides to mental health: the Neurotic and the Psychotic...

Essentially: to much emotion and to little emotion...

Take a guess which we are; Good old Hans certainly considered us as having a "psychotic personality"

ChapterGrim
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Nov 2013, 2:28 am

There are a number of interesting theories about "diverging species"...

And it is a main theme in much Sci-fi media...

ChapterGrim
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Nov 2013, 2:36 am

Homo sapiens aspergensis INDEED!

Though I do believe the Taxonomy is more

Homo Sapiens Sapiens (Aspergensis) - If you can convince the powers that be to stick with it, while proving we are a sub-species of the modern hominid...

Otherwise you're going to need some serious cash and a mother-load of gene samples pre-historic and current...

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 8:16 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Did he say that the shooter was diagnosed, or was he just speculating irresponsibly?

Considering that the source is a doctor who's working for the media, I think it's pretty safe to assume that he was just speculating irresponsibly. The thing that the media and a lot of doctors have in common is that they're both untrustworthy, irresponsible, and full of s***. And this guy's job is an amalgamation of those two things, so he's probably more untrustworthy, irresponsible, and full of s*** than 99% of the people in this country. Few people have been successful at taking their a**holiness to that level. This guy is the type of person who every a**hole idolizes and dreams of being, and he should be proud of himself for having achieved that status. He will surely be remembered for this impressive achievement after he's gone. I may not like what he says, but I can truly respect how much he struggled and persevered to achieve the goal of becoming the world-class a**hole that he is today.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 12:26 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
When in the hell is the media going to get the message that violence <> ASD?

Here is the process ...

1. Society is generally not understanding, not accommodating to an ASD person.

2. Person may become dysfunctional because of the non-understanding/non-accommodation and likely has a history of accumulated physical and/or mental abuse from others. Person possibly becomes a loner.

3. Person becomes mentally-ill because of the dysfunction and abuse.

4. Mentally-ill person commits crime, perhaps violent crime.

Therefore, they see ASD as causing violent crime.

JoeDaBro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2013, 3:35 pm

Signs of overreactions here:
Major signs:Aspergers relation, video game relation
Minor signs: None
Hmm, I'd say that this is a case of an overreaction. I think stirring up some backlash to show this neurotypical his place.

JoeDaBro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2013, 3:41 pm

SpookyKooks wrote:
You know, it's really starting to get freaking scary with the way the media is portraying ASD. In fact, it is frighteningly similar to how Nazi Germany demonized the Jews. Also, another terrifying similarity is when the media started to show that people with ASD are better off dead. They may not say it outright, but the implications are obvious. For example, have any one of you ever seen a story going along the lines of "parent kills child with severe autistic disorder", and then sympathizing with said parent. Sure, if the child was autistic, they would say that the child was showing "increasingly violent behaviors" and that "the parent felt deeply threatened by the child". However, if you were to change the wording to "parent kills child", you would think that the parent was a murdering psychopath, no questions asked. In fact, if things go along the path that I think they're going, sooner or later children with ASD will be sent to the "happy farm" and then supposedly die of some disease. In truth they would be sent to a nice, pretty room, along with all the other disabled children, and promptly done away with. Now that you mention it, the Nazi's did that too, didn't they...

Signs of that are very low. For example, my future self has not time travelled back to set all of the aspergers-diagnosed kids free. You said specifically Asperger's and not general autism, so it's an autistic's duty.

JoeDaBro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2013, 3:47 pm

[sosorryfortriplepost]

ChapterGrim wrote:
Whether you are willing to accept it or not; people on the spectrum do get violent, and without support could kill...

I was given CBT as a result of my outbursts and the poor fools would've better hoped there is a God if I'd got my hands on an actual weapon - when I was younger anyway!

Its common enough for people with ASD to lash out; often in a rather chilling fashion...

If the other ones were to kill:Insane, random killing
If I were to kill:Assassinating all who have made Autism look like a downgrade
Now, I would think normally that violence would only be the answer to certain questions, but as unfortunate as it sounds, we may have to kill. It's gotten that bad. It's like South Park, exept not as much a joke. I seriously hope I don't have to kill anybody in real life to get autism better media attention.