Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 1:37 pm

I was talking once about my frustrations in relation to the treatment of autistic adults in our country (England). My dad said in response "if you want to blame anyone then blame the government"

Why might the government be to blame?

BornThisWay
Toucan
Toucan

17 Feb 2014, 2:48 pm

Jamesy - Could your father being saying that the source of your frustration are the policies guiding the care and treatment of Autistic people? After all, these policies are created by the government. Last but not least, the guiding forces of these policies are based on philosophical foundation of the parties in control of the bureaucracy.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 4:13 pm

How come the parties don't always know what policies are best?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 Feb 2014, 7:21 am

Well, what do you think the reasons might be, Jamesy? :chin:

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2014, 10:25 am

Jamesy wrote:

I think that's not the right question to ask.
No one ever really knows what will be 'best' in terms of governmental policies, though many claim to, because that's impossible for anyone to really know as it would require knowledge of everything and the understanding of what that knowledge meant, and no one has access to that.

I think the right question is why don't governments implement policies that are the most effective in helping, rather than hurting people.
The answer is simple: they are, for the most part, more interested in their own narrow, selfish interests than in the intrests of their populations as a whole.
This seems to have always been the case, and imho it will continue to be until instead of olgiarchies (rule by few), our societies become true democracies (rule by many, or all) where everyone has an equal say in the laws that are passed and the policies that are implemented.

Just my 2 cents...

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 9:35 am

Jamesy wrote:

because they are humans... The defining characteristic of humanity is it's intellect ... it's ability to think... unfortunately, most of us humans are restricted to thoughts that are within our frame of reference... They experience the world through a warped lens of their own experience...

And honestly... No one knows what the best policies are... Bruce Almighty (movie with jim carrey) does a good job at explaining that.