Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 4:19 am

According to the yutz at PETA drinking dairy products now links to ASD link below:

"PETA has created a billboard to alert the public to the connection between this condition and dairy-product consumption.

More research is needed, but scientific studies have shown that many autistic kids improve dramatically when put on a diet free of dairy foods."

http://www.peta.org/features/got-autism ... s-disease/

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 4:44 am

PETA seem to be really milking this.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 5:08 am

TallyMan wrote:
PETA seem to be really milking this.

Although the news is freshly squeezed it's still smells rancid to me (I wonder how many puns we can come up with)

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 6:21 am

At the responses: :D

In response to the article: I'd heard about this. It has been added to my reasons for opposing PETA.

elkclan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 7:14 am

Ho Hum.

Most populations are unable to digest milk properly after a certain age and it will cause intenstinal distress if you're intolerant. If you're LFA or just tired and cranky a crampy gut is gonna make your behaviour worse.

It just so happens that the places I've always lived, North America and northern Europe have significant numbers of people who CAN digest milk into adulthood.

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 8:20 am

Does that include breast milk?????? If it does, forget big pharma, is big formula a thing? :O

Anyway, my kids never had dairy products except for breast milk until they were already showing signs of autism, so there goes that theory unless they ARE including breast milk
They also are both very healthy- never got ear infections or anything so the autism-immune system thing doesn't really work with them.

I've obviously heard of the casein-free diet, even Jenny McCarthy who blames vaccines, is using this one, so that's not exactly news. I think it used to be considered something the vaccines did to the child, rather than the cause itself. One of my kids (who is autistic) does seem to have a reaction, behaviourally, to dairy products, so I limited his intake of them, although he does not have an official intolerance (he's been tested). But limiting dairy hasn't made him act "less autistic", it's just made him less whiny (my theory is it makes him feel uncomfortable so he whines, due to lacking communication skills).

BornThisWay
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jun 2014, 9:33 am

hmmm....I think this goes to show the cheesy reputation that PETA is trying to concoct for itself.

Then again, a lot of people are dairy intolerant and there have been some folks who find that altering their diet improves their lives in a lot of ways - whether it's AS issues or otherwise.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 9:54 am

i guess PETA is really having a cow over this one

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 3:52 pm

Sounds like a pile of cow manure to me. Like the shameless agenda-driven cattle over at PETA will milk anything they think can stampede the herd in the direction they want them to go.

The more people I meet, the more respect I have for cows.

I think both my former mechanic and Temple Grandin would be inclined to agree.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 5:53 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
Sounds like a pile of cow manure to me. Like the shameless agenda-driven cattle over at PETA will milk anything they think can stampede the herd in the direction they want them to go.

The more people I meet, the more respect I have for cows.

I think both my former mechanic and Temple Grandin would be inclined to agree.
thats a good one :lol:

TUAndrew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2014, 3:19 am

I remember when PETA did this around 3 years ago. So not only have PETA refused to appologise for that ad campeign, they're even still using it!

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jun 2014, 4:58 am

While their motives might lead them to say something, that doesn't mean it can't be true or partially true sometimes. The gut bacteria/fecal transplant thread elsewhere raises the possibility that something that changes the bacteria could lead to autism. Perhaps in some people milk or vaccines do provoke that change. I would imagine there are many other possible causes to change in gut bacteria.

Certainly some of the anti-vaccine/anti-milk/anti-whatever crowd act like quacks, cranks and charlatans. But this gut bacteria stuff will keep the argument going for a while.

I just did quick Google and found this from 2011, note 2011. The blogger is slamming some anti-vaccine quack for the ridiculous theory that doesn't look so ridiculous for the moment. GAPS in a doctor's reasoning

Here is an excerpt:
In the next part of the interview, Dr. Campbell-McBride gets to the heart of her ?treatment? for autism by describing what she thinks is the cause of autism. Basically, she does not believe there is a genetic component to autism, at least not in the way that real scientists do. Instead, she expresses an absolute certainty that autistic children are born with ?perfectly normal brain and perfectly normal sensory organs and they are supposed to function normally.? So what disrupts this normal functioning?

This, apparently:

What happens in these children, they do not develop normal gut flora from birth, from the beginning of their life. Gut flora is a hugely important part of our human physiology. Recently research in Scandinavia has demonstrated that 90% of all cells and all genetic material in a human body is our own gut flora. We are just a shell. We are only 10%. We are a habitat for this mass of microbes inside us. We ignore them at our peril.

What happens in these children they develop very abnormal gut flora from the beginning of their lives. So as a result their digestive system instead of being a source of nourishment for these children becomes a major source of toxicity. These pathogenic microbes inside their digestive tract damage the integrity of the gut wall.

So all sort of toxins and microbes flood into the bloodstream of the child and get into the brain of the child. That usually happens in the second year of life in children who were breast fed because breastfeeding provides a protection against this abnormal gut flora.

Recognize this? It wasn?t so long ago that I wrote about detoxification quackery. What Dr. Campbell-McBride is talking about here is nothing more than a variant of the ancient concept of autointoxication, whereby our own human waste products ?poison? us. The difference is that she?s attributing it to bacteria living in our gut. But where do many of the bacteria living in your gut end up? In your poop, of course! In any case, Campbell-McBride even has a name for her invented autism syndrome: Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS). She?s even developed a whole cottage industry of dietary woo to treat it, which can be found on various websites, including Gut and Psychology Syndrome, The GAPS Diet, and in her book Gut and Psychology Syndrome Book: Natural Treatment For: Autism, ADD, ADHD Depression, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Schizophrenia. And, of course, she has her own website Doctor-Natasha.com, and if you check it out you?ll see that she claims to be able to treat anything from acne to depression to diabetes to autism to ADHD to schizophrenia to tummy pain. Yes, tummy pain. (I always thought that a good shot of Pepto-Bismol would take care of your basic tummy pain much of the time.) Here is her pseudoscience explained:

RunningFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2014, 6:28 pm

Yes, the gut and everything that lives in it has a profound effect on the brain. I doubt that it can cause autism tho but who knows. The toxicity of the gut and what you put in it have a substantial effect on the body and brain. I have to wonder how many of these people trying to discredit detox theory are just paid off by the pharma industry. A lot of the meds sold by them wouldnt be needed if we all had a cleaner healthier gut.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 11:20 am

Not only have I never had an immunization because of allergies, I also never had milk or anything made with milk products until I was about 13 because of severe allergies.

Throw that one out the window too.

Autism is caused by the brain developing screwy. That's the simple fact. There doesn't seem to be one simple reason for it.

And PETA can kiss my meat eating, leather and fur wearing, makeup tested on animals using, meds tested on animals taking ass.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 9:29 pm

I was vegan for a year once. I ended up anemic and underweight with dry skin, brittle nails and insomnia, but I wasn't an NT.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 9:54 pm

I find the concept udderly ridiculous.