Autism Speaks #MSSNG campaign. Google involved - Thoughts?

Page 6 of 9 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 1:57 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
No matter how much wishful thinking one has about change an acceptance, there are always going to be things that others consider annoying, or rude, or off putting, or strange/weird etc and so on. That's just the way it always has been, is, and always will be. The best bet for anyone on the spectrum is to improve themselves and their social skills/abilities etc in order to best adapt to the world around them, because the world isn't going to change for them no matter how loud you shout about "autistic rights" or whatever.

and a bit different, but along the same lines of thinking:

All this quoted for truth AND EVERYthing else you are saying in this thread, in mind as well.

If I did not believe I could change myself, and listened instead to the doctor who said I could not possibly recover from 19 documented medical disorders, INCLUDING AUTISM, I would still be sitting behind this computer in my underwear as a shut-in separated from the rest of the world.

Instead, this is my life now.:

http://katiemiafrederick.com/2014/12/09/gods-muse-of-dance/

And Oh my GOD, the rest of the world OF HUMANITY IS fun, when I finally find the TRUE POWER IN ME FOR CHANGE. :)

AND OH MY GOD! THE LINK ABOVE IS IRREFUTABLE EVIDENCE OF THAT, AT LEAST FOR ME.

WE need more folks who think like you GOLDFISH here, SO MORE folks might get inspired to LIVE A SIMPLY AMAZING LIFE LIKE 'we' do now.

If I can beat medical science, I don't see why MOST anyone can't get out there, and at least try to connect to other folks.

Try it, ya might like it, IS WHAT I FIND AS ABSOLUTE TRUTH NOW, at least for me, for sure. :)

Oh and I am 54, and Oh, almost all of my friends in the link above are in their 20's, so, so much for peer appropriate relationships still, but OH WELL, it is all one BIG potentially happy HUMAN FAMILY TO ME, NOW! :)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 2:16 pm

I'm not interested in how people react to modified me. It is not satisfying even if the reaction is positive. It is satisfying when people respond positively to who I actually am, which some have.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 2:36 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
What is negative is telling a whole group of people that their natural way of interacting is wrong and needs modification.

If you're getting the reactions from others that you want and expect out of life, then the way you interact with others is just fine and doesn't require modification. But since you're here saying that you want others to accept the different ways you act, I'm more inclined to think that your behaviour is outside the socially acceptable norm and could use some improvement in order to make you a happier person that others like to be around.

Whether you want to label it "wrong," or "different," or whatever is up to you. Chances are it's not ideal for you as the results you're getting aren't ideal and thus there must be a better way that you can strive towards achieving for yourself.

One, you don't know her, so why judge her? Two, do you think people here really care about the social norm? This is a forum where we can interact with each other and not having to be judged by neurotypicals, lest by other people on the spectrum.

Changing your behavior does not always equal a happier life, just like money doesn't make you happy. You can be the richest person in the world yet be depressed as all hell.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 5:10 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
Changing your behavior does not always equal a happier life

Exactly ... and thanks :D
goldfish and aghogday, why will neither of you address the issue of the costs of conformation? I know there are rewards to be gained from pushing oneself, especially socially. But there has to be a balance. The psyche cant handle constant artificial behaviour without snapping.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 6:36 pm

Assuming those people in the memes really said those things, I'm positive an herbal enema isn't what they had in mind.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 8:33 pm

androbot01 wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:

goldfish and aghogday, why will neither of you address the issue of the costs of conformation? I know there are rewards to be gained from pushing oneself, especially socially. But there has to be a balance. The psyche cant handle constant artificial behaviour without snapping.

Actually, I have in detail, and researched the issue in detail as well, as linked here, and shared that information across the globe.

http://katiemiaaghogday.blogspot.com/2013/04/burnout-on-autism-spectrum.html

Trust me, I have extensive experience on both sides of this coin. :)

But thanks for asking, as otherwise how would you know. :)

I document almost everything in life, for 'good' reason. :)

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 9:14 pm

Breakdowns suck. I'm still recovering from mine. So, my next question is ... how has modifying your behaviour helped you to get to the positive place you are now?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 10:06 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Breakdowns suck. I'm still recovering from mine. So, my next question is ... how has modifying your behaviour helped you to get to the positive place you are now?

I have developed the courage to be myself and nothing more.

I am medically and legally, technically permanently disabled with 19 medical disorders on record that modern science still says is impossible to cure, but never the less, the reality is they are technically in remission, and no longer exist for me, and I am ALSO financially independent, fortunately enough, as a life long EXTREME penny pincher.

My stim IS dance walking now to the tune of almost 3000 miles, now in the 17th month, since a long span of 5 years of illness and a shorter span OF RECOVERY, in the year 2013, in the Summer of that year.

IT'S ALL JUST FOR fun but an excellent accommodation for the medical disorders I am diagnosed with, including Autism.

I go to store management, ask for the accommodation, and get it so far, totally free, except for one mall that made me modify it, where I do not do it in reverse, per dance walking.

When I wrote the research in the link above, I was still almost totally incapacitated.

I for one am not conforming to anyone but me, and what I find, even in my extremely red state area that is recently noted in research as the toughest place to live for hipster leaning folks, as it is extremely patriarchal due to influx of a metro area military population and fundamentalist religious population, IS THERE ARE STILL PEOPLE WHO APPRECIATE FREE LIKE THAT.

THE HATERS can go on hating, as there are enough lovers for me to GO on.

But please, don't get me wrong, as this is not easy, and it took me 53 years, to get it figured out on what works for my own UNIQUE AND complex path of life.

But now it is truly simple, AS dance and SONG, with those in the herd who can do it with me, AND F**, YES! FUN the haters as I am the one truly having FUN NOW!

I DEVELOPED a REAL UNIQUE way to have THEM ADAPT TO ME, NOT ME TO THEM!

AND SOME OF THEM ARE LOVING IT, TOO!

AND SOME ARE NOT, BUT OH WELL! IS WHAT I SAY NOW, AS THEY ARE THE ONES MISSING OUT NOW, IN MY OPINION! :)

BUT AGAIN, please don't get me wrong, I as a white middle-aged perceived good looking and clean cut dude at 232LBS of muscle can get away with this, almost anywhere in this world, per that obvious human privilege, no matter what my functional challenges are, NOW.

I have been on the other side of that coin, as illustrated in the photo, in the bottom of this link as well.

So yeah, I know both sides of this, and I hurt as much as I used to, for the people who hurt like I did too, NOW!

And that is why I share ALL OF MY STORY, in hopes to inspire anyone, somehow, someway, if possible, in a SPARK OF ANYTHING.. SOMETHING.. AT ALL!

Happy New Year!

http://katiemiafrederick.com/2014/12/31/katie-mia-frederick-2014-a-year-in-review/

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 5:13 am

androbot01 wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:

What cost? What artificial behaviour? :?

To the contrary, rather than improve my ability to intellectually process social situations better (which is very very mentally taxing, I realize & remember) I've actually managed to minimize my asd and other symptoms and am much more intuitively social than most of my life to date. I've done this via diet/herbs/probiotics. I shared my story about this on WP last January.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 5:15 am

PlainsAspie wrote:
Assuming those people in the memes really said those things, I'm positive an herbal enema isn't what they had in mind.

Perhaps not, but I think they were all rather Machiavellian in their statements.. they all have the same end in mind, and the end justifies the means - whatever the means' process needs to be to get to the end in mind. If that's diet, herbal detox & probiotics, so be it, I'm sure they'd all approve since the end result is the desired effect of their respective philosophies.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 6:00 am

goldfish21 wrote:
PlainsAspie wrote:

Perhaps not, but I think they were all rather Machiavellian in their statements.. they all have the same end in mind, and the end justifies the means - whatever the means' process needs to be to get to the end in mind. If that's diet, herbal detox & probiotics, so be it, I'm sure they'd all approve since the end result is the desired effect of their respective philosophies.

I am not going interpret Einstein and Ghandi, they are beyond me. Would the ends justify the means if this means killing a whole lot of people so you can feel better?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 6:03 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
PlainsAspie wrote:

I am not going interpret Einstein and Ghandi, they are beyond me. Would the ends justify the means if this means killing a whole lot of people so you can feel better?

Apples to oranges. You can't possibly be asking me that as a real question...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 5:22 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
PlainsAspie wrote:

The question is real. Words like Machiavellian and the ends justify the means have a particularly nasty literal interpretations when taken to their logical conclusion. Other times they are used in a certain context. While I don't particularly you believe killing people is ok so you could feel good, as an autistic person the nasty literal meaning is how I naturally will interpret these words. But I do realize I interpret things wrongly because at times I do miss the context and metaphorical meanings. It worked the other way also. While I did not believe you take the ends justify the means to its literal conclusion I had to wonder if I was mistaken. So instead of wondering I asked the question.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 5:42 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
PlainsAspie wrote:

The question is real. Words like Machiavellian and the ends justify the means have a particularly nasty literal interpretations when taken to their logical conclusion. Other times they are used in a certain context. While I don't particularly you believe killing people is ok so you could feel good, as an autistic person the nasty literal meaning is how I naturally will interpret these words. But I do realize I interpret things wrongly because at times I do miss the context and metaphorical meanings. It worked the other way also. While I did not believe you take the ends justify the means to its literal conclusion I had to wonder if I was mistaken. So instead of wondering I asked the question.

OK..

What I meant was that any of those I quoted may not have had herbal medical treatments in mind as a means or process to their idealogical ends of self improvement, but would likely support or approve of virtually any means of self improvement whether medicinal, diet, exercise, reading/learning, therapy, or an epiphany had while out hiking in remote woods somewhere. All of these people had the end goal of happiness in mind, and would likely have supported or approved of any method of self improvement to achieve it. Murdering people is not likely something any of them would support or approve of as a means to self improvement and happiness.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 6:17 pm

That's a HUGE leap of speculation with very little evidence, and it amounts to an appeal to authority at best.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 7:29 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
[
What I meant was that any of those I quoted may not have had herbal medical treatments in mind as a means or process to their idealogical ends of self improvement, but would likely support or approve of virtually any means of self improvement whether medicinal, diet, exercise, reading/learning, therapy, or an epiphany had while out hiking in remote woods somewhere. All of these people had the end goal of happiness in mind, and would likely have supported or approved of any method of self improvement to achieve it. Murdering people is not likely something any of them would support or approve of as a means to self improvement and happiness.

I do not know about the others but I am sure Einstein would want more proof.