Canadian immigration says son with Asperger’s ‘inadmissible’

Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 4:27 am

TheStar.com:
"University of Toronto professor Thomas Reynolds, middle, and his sons Chris, left, and Evan, right have applied to become permanent residents. But Chris, who has Asperger Syndrome, a mild form of autism, is deemed medically inadmissible":
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/100 ... admissible

http://www.autscape.org/

Mahlon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jun 2011, 10:06 am

Very disturbing and alarming, this one hits home for me especially =( Hope everything works out for this Dad and his two sons.

anneyce
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jun 2011, 12:44 pm

I don't get where they took this amount of $7K from? Either the article is just giving false facts or there's more to it than meets the eye.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 1:53 pm

thats just weird...and f**ed up 8O somebody needs to take a jack to whoever made that decision.

bakattsura

15 Jun 2011, 5:55 pm

To play devil's advocate, depending on your source, no fewer than 80% of persons with Asperger's Syndrome are unemployed at any given time. It's not easy to accept that in a country like Canada where health care costs are paid by the government. Living with Asperger's Syndrome can bring about large expenses such as psychotherapy, speech therapy, social skills training, residence assistance, and unemployment assistance. Canada's decision is not a judgment against him as a person, but of the cost of selecting him over someone else who is likely to have fewer problems.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 6:56 pm

Simply discrimination. Scientifically simply discrimination that is. If individuals of a certain neurological configuration can be part of only certain parts of earth and not others it is a kind of nation based segregation. If he were a racial minority, religious or gender based government complainant without neurological differences it would be different for instance in the eyes of social reaction. Yet because of how a country decides to operate in it's own free will just as the U.S does which is definitely imperfect it will only accept what they consider more perfect. A social inclusion judgement that cries for historic notoriety. The filtration of innate human diversity and public evidence of that fact.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 8:58 pm

Canada says autistics are a burden on society. But if there wasn't so much discrimination against autistics they would not be a burden on society but rather autistics would be a contribution. What the Canadian government is saying is that it is okay to discriminate against autistics even for the slightest deviation from the norm.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 9:50 pm

I personally will not be sourcing supplies or ingredients for my disability work organization from Canada until this is resolved. I also will make a point out of not buying anything Canadian. Once you tell someone for life they cannot be part of your nation because of how they were born and others like them it's beyond insulting. It is a kind of like a deep seeded hatred from an intolerance due to a lack of societal inclusion standards. As if inclusion is not possible thus self-sufficiency is not because diversity is not freely embraced nor enabled in premise.

I however do not believe the vast majority even a minority of Canadian citizens hate people who happen to have autism. there is just like in America a vast inability to be creative with inclusion. Not at all because of hate but feels like it only emotionally in feeling of some with autism but the determination of Canada on this issue is a violation of basic human rights.

This is an issue for the United Nations.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

Drifter
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Jun 2011, 12:56 am

ci wrote:

Please, Who are you going to bring this to, the human rights council. I am sure Saudi Arabia and Pakistan are big supporters of Autistic rights(Look up the membership they in there). Even if the UN does something would that Republican wannabe Stephen Harper do anything about it.

Tying to get the UN involved is pointless. It just doesn't work on the political level. It's useful only as a symbolic gesture(In other words it's useless). The best thing to do is spread this article far and wide. Try to get it world wide attention. Maybe with so many eyes on them the politicians might intervene.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 1:26 am

I also will make a point out of not buying anything

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 7:34 am

anneyce wrote:
I don't get where they took this amount of $7K from? Either the article is just giving false facts or there's more to it than meets the eye.

As I read the article, it seems pretty clear that the article gets the figure from the officials (directly or indirectly). Where those officials got it is the question. I don't think there's any reason to think the article's author was making anything up. The fact the article gives is to report that officials said something. The article does not give the $7000 cost as a fact, it gives officials saying it as a fact.

SPKx
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jun 2011, 7:39 am

I already made a topic about this two days ago - http://www.wrongplanet.net/posts164945-highlight.html

utherdoul
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jun 2011, 9:11 am

ci wrote:
I personally will not be sourcing supplies or ingredients for my disability work organization from Canada until this is resolved. I also will make a point out of not buying anything Canadian. Once you tell someone for life they cannot be part of your nation because of how they were born and others like them it's beyond insulting. It is a kind of like a deep seeded hatred from an intolerance due to a lack of societal inclusion standards. As if inclusion is not possible thus self-sufficiency is not because diversity is not freely embraced nor enabled in premise.

I however do not believe the vast majority even a minority of Canadian citizens hate people who happen to have autism. there is just like in America a vast inability to be creative with inclusion. Not at all because of hate but feels like it only emotionally in feeling of some with autism but the determination of Canada on this issue is a violation of basic human rights.

A. The United Nations wouldn't be able to do anything except send a strongly worded letter and waste other countries money.

B. Canada is the biggest foreign supplier of US oil. In order not to buy anyhing from the country you'd have to avoid most forms of transportation (public or private) and a large number of other products.

C. Canada is a sovereign country and whether I agree with the decision or not its not our place to tell them who they must accept for citizenship. Emigrating to another country is not a human right its a privilege.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 11:37 am

Just do not buy what you are able to not buy. Just in the same way that they will not equally include people to be part of their nation who have autism when they choose not to. Seems fair. As far as human rights some people that are more "perfect" it seems have more rights then others. There was no compromise such as medical coverage is not included.

greengeek
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jun 2011, 9:29 pm

Maybe the people in power in Citizenship and Immigration Canada and some other government officials are a bunch of Nazi wannabes. They probably don't want any more in their country, so they have less to exterminate later. They might also not want people who are smarter than they are, as a lot of aspies are smarter than normal people. They should send the Nazi wannabe government officials to Germany and Poland in a no frills cargo plane for "proper disposal," and have the aspies do the disposal, or at least part of it. If that is too expensive, then send a fully functional Nazi "disposal" van to Canada and dispose of them in Canada. When you're done with the van you can donate it to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. It would be best to torture them before disposal with the anti-Nazi classic "Der Fuehrer's Face, " by Spike Jones and His City Slickers, on CD or other not tape-based digital format on repeat, to show them that people hate Nazis.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

20 Jun 2011, 3:04 pm

ci wrote:

Sure is, ain't it? While we're at it, why don't we bring in NATO forces? After all, "discrimination" against an autistic American or Canadian is discrimination against autistics in all member states, right? Gotta make sure things don't turn violent if people with ASD's begin to start revolting against their governments. :roll: