Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 1:06 am

iliketrees wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
None of the above. None of those summarize my thoughts on autism; I am somewhere between the cure and the acceptance one. I suppose I'd called it understanding more than anything else.

Partly a cure, what do you mean?

Hard to explain. We need help at some things, so we're not equal as acceptance suggests.

As does everyone on the planet need help with some things. I don't see how it equates to eugenics.

You're misunderstanding. Intensive ABA, a school life in special ed and probably never going to be able to work is not the same as NTs needing help with small things. Autistic people need more help.

ABA is flawed especially 'intensive' ABA which probably feels more like some kind of torment than 'therapy'...at best some of the teqniques ideas of it work for some autistics...but the more intensive it is the more its akin to trying to mold the autistic person into something that appears neurotypical on the outside regardless of how much internal stress it causes or how it makes them feel. In fact intensive ABA might contribute to co-morbid mental issues.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 7:05 am

Moromillas wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
None of the above. None of those summarize my thoughts on autism; I am somewhere between the cure and the acceptance one. I suppose I'd called it understanding more than anything else.

Hard to explain. We need help at some things, so we're not equal as acceptance suggests.

As does everyone on the planet need help with some things. I don't see how it equates to eugenics.

You're misunderstanding. Intensive ABA, a school life in special ed and probably never going to be able to work is not the same as NTs needing help with small things. Autistic people need more help.

Perhaps you wrote "cure" but meant education for neurotypicals. You listed a few examples where neurotypical behaviour needs to be addressed in some way.

Are you being serious? Pull your head out your ass and don't decide what I'm saying so it fits with your idea. Not sure if troll or twat. You ever gone so far with one idea you twist things so they fit it? You can't just deny the existence of people with LFA so your whole "acceptance" thing works. There is a balance between the acceptance and cure in my opinion.

No, I don't think people with autism are lesser. That's not what I mean. I don't think we hole less rights. Being somewhere in between doesn't mean that.

You'd make a good politician. Twisting things ever so slightly so it looks like I'm saying something I'm not and then spewing crap about what I'm supposedly saying.

I'm allowed to have a different opinion. And people like you are what drive me away from the acceptance idea. Pisses me off. This is why I want my own damn ideas on things and not follow other ideas concretely; so I don't turn into you.

Sorry to anyone else for reading this crap.

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 7:43 am

None of the above. I am somewhere between acceptance and supremacy. I'm not actually a supremacist of any sort, but I do think that there are some fields in which, given the proper conditions, autists are likely to surpass allists. ("Proper conditions" is probably the most important part of that statement. I suspect that allists have a far greater tolerance for non-optimal conditions than we autists.) I also happen to think that legislating might very well be one of those fields (although this might just be due to aspie-mathematician overlap, as I happen to think that disinterested mathematicians would make for ideal legislators).

I don't think autists are in any general sense superior to allists, but I think there are likely specific contexts in which many autists are superior to most allists. I think that society's failure to recognize, nurture, and utilize those strengths is a significant source of economic inefficiency.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 7:59 am

iliketrees wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
iliketrees wrote:

The examples you give of help that autists need all relate to integrating the autist into institutions built by and for allists. Helping autistic people integrate into those institutions makes as much sense as hiring someone to carry people in wheelchairs up a flight of stairs instead of installing a ramp and/or elevator. Autistic people need more help because allistic people are too stupid/selfish/ignorant/greedy to install a "ramp," especially those getting ego gratification and/or financial compensation for "carrying us up the stairs."

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 8:01 am

(In retrospect I probably overreacted quite a bit but my ideas stay the same. I just hate when something tries to tell me I mean something I don't. A lot. Partly frustrating because I can't explain what I feel properly, partly I hate being misunderstood, partly other reasons I can't think of on the top of my head. I hate when people decide for me what I mean on something I do feel either one way or the other about (which admittedly isn't all that much) and they actually state the damn opposite).

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 8:02 am

RhodyStruggle wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
iliketrees wrote:

The examples you give of help that autists need all relate to integrating the autist into institutions built by and for allists. Helping autistic people integrate into those institutions makes as much sense as hiring someone to carry people in wheelchairs up a flight of stairs instead of installing a ramp and/or elevator. Autistic people need more help because allistic people are too stupid/selfish/ignorant/greedy to install a "ramp," especially those getting ego gratification and/or financial compensation for "carrying us up the stairs."

I don't understand, what are "allists"?

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 8:13 am

iliketrees wrote:
RhodyStruggle wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
iliketrees wrote:

I don't understand, what are "allists"?

People who aren't autistic, but not necessarily neurotypical either. For example psychopaths aren't neurotypical, but I'd venture to guess it's more prevalent among the people in power than the general populace.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 May 2015, 9:35 am

iliketrees wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
iliketrees wrote:

Perhaps you wrote "cure" but meant education for neurotypicals. You listed a few examples where neurotypical behaviour needs to be addressed in some way.

Are you being serious? Pull your head out your ass and don't decide what I'm saying so it fits with your idea. Not sure if troll or twat. You ever gone so far with one idea you twist things so they fit it? You can't just deny the existence of people with LFA so your whole "acceptance" thing works. There is a balance between the acceptance and cure in my opinion.

No, I don't think people with autism are lesser. That's not what I mean. I don't think we hole less rights. Being somewhere in between doesn't mean that.

You'd make a good politician. Twisting things ever so slightly so it looks like I'm saying something I'm not and then spewing crap about what I'm supposedly saying.

I'm allowed to have a different opinion. And people like you are what drive me away from the acceptance idea. Pisses me off. This is why I want my own damn ideas on things and not follow other ideas concretely; so I don't turn into you.

Are you serious? You mentioned being somewhere in between tolerance and the mad quest for eugenics, leaving everyone to speculate what the hell you're on about.

You gave three examples, most of which require some sort of education, specifically for neurotypicals, in order to address.
1) ABA does not help in any way, as pretending to be an NT doesn't help you achieve anything. NTs need to understand that, and get over the idea that being an AS person is "wrong" or detrimental.
2) Special Ed, like mainstream, is not at all suitable. Both have their problems and are woefully insufficient by comparison to the level of education NTs receive.
3) The egregious level of unemployment is not because AS people are inept, far from it, but because of the spread of the vile stigmas. Bosses are terrified to employ us, out of fear for their bottom line, and co-workers aren't comfortable being around or are accepting of AS people.

"You can't just deny the existence of people with LFA" Ok, so you've no idea what you're talking about.

"my opinion" That's right, you're not dealing in facts and knowledge, but opinions and thoughts. Being belligerent and calling people a troll or a twat, that doesn't support anything.

RhodyStruggle, has the right idea, thought the analogy is hard to compare. Basically, the vast majority of schools are hand crafted to suit the needs of a neurotypical. So it shouldn't be a wonder as to why AS people struggle in that environment, it should be a wonder how we cope with it at all.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 9:53 am

iliketrees wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
iliketrees wrote:

Please don't post personal attacks. Address the subject, not the poster.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 10:19 am

Moromillas wrote:
my opinion" That's right, you're not dealing in facts and knowledge

Did I ever claim to? This asked for my damn f*****g opinion and I gave my damn f*****g opinion. f**k you. Seriously f**k you and people like you. It makes me want to quit this site. I hate you and everyone like you.

It asked for my opinion and because I didn't word it right this happened.

Of course I have no f*****g life so I won't quit and if I say I will I'll just come back here f*****g tomorrow.

I give up. I gave my opinion and it was wrong. f*****g SORRY.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 10:19 am

iliketrees wrote:
Moromillas wrote:

Did I ever claim to? This asked for my damn f*****g opinion and I gave my damn f*****g opinion. f**k you. Seriously f**k you and people like you. It makes me want to quit this site. I hate you and everyone like you.

Of course I have no f*****g life so I won't quit and if I say I will I'll just come back here f*****g tomorrow.

Also worth noting if I don't come back here I'm likely dead.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 11:29 am

I voted Autism Acceptance, and mostly agree with your descriptions. I wouldn't say people should be accommodated at the expense of neurotypicals. Autistic people work and contribute to their government systems the same as anyone else. I myself don't work anymore due to my neurological disease, but I am not autistic, so one might say that I am accommodated at the expense of autistics.

People's differences wouldn't be a problem if they weren't made a problem. Most societies are not friendly to autistic people, who are a minority population, so they could be considered disabled. If I were in a society of all men, and expected to act like a man and do the things men do, I would be considered disabled and should be offered accommodations, like a toilet that works for me and different clothes to accommodate my different body. My ability to carry and give birth to a child might be considered horrific. And if I were in a population of blind people, my ability to see would be weird and probably unwanted. And so on and so forth.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 11:43 am

iliketrees wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
Moromillas wrote:

heyyyy please don't be so upset....it's just somebody's pixellated response on the screen, it's not worth to be upset about...or to insult them or to think about suicide.

Please log off from the forum if it makes you feel bad or suicidal.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 11:45 am

Booyakasha wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
Moromillas wrote:

heyyyy please don't be so upset....it's just somebody's pixellated response on the screen, it's not worth to be upset about...or to insult them or to think about suicide.

Please log off from the forum if it makes you feel bad or suicidal.

Just him. Cocky 15 year old twat.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 11:51 am

I see...well he is someone you most likely won't ever see or care about personally...so his opinion is irrelevant to you. This is just an internet forum, he is a perfect stranger, not someone because of whom you should hurt yourself.

I understand that you feel upset abut this, but things like this happen all the time on the internet forums, please don't take it personally. His opinion reflects just him, not you.

Now please let's stop with the insults....and return to the subject if possible.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 11:55 am

Booyakasha wrote:
I see...well he is someone you most likely won't ever see or care about personally...so his opinion is irrelevant to you. This is just an internet forum, he is a perfect stranger, not someone because of whom you should hurt yourself.

I understand that you feel upset abut this, but things like this happen all the time on the internet forums, please don't take it personally. His opinion reflects just him, not you.

Now please let's stop with the insults....and return to the subject if possible.

How can we return to the subject if we state our opinions and those are wrong because they're not his? This subject asks our opinion, he challenges it, if he's not satisfied he tries to convert you to his, and then calls you misinformed. It asked for an opinion, I gave it, and somehow it was wrong.

And he is not perfect. Nobody can be perfect, but he is far far far from it. Further than me and I'm an idiot.

There are no forums for idiots. I always manage to say something wrong. I thought here would at least be accepting but no, f**k me for expecting that.

How am I supposed to cope in the real world if some cocky 15 year old does this to me?