Page 4 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 10:32 am

Rabid militants and starry-eyed idealists are ALWAYS dangerous.

So are depressives looking to make themselves feel better from without. Reference Margaret Sanger.

Safe, legal, readily available birth control-- GOOD IDEA. Eugenics-- BAD IDEA. Unfortunately, the opposition is full of people who are happy to conflate the baby with the bathwater and toss the lot. I treasure my right to live, to reproduce, and to raise my little NaT offspring. Human neurobiological diversity is a cause near and dear to my heart. Every bit as dearly, I treasure my right to call it when I think I've got all the kids I can reasonably raise (4) and to continue to have sexual intercourse with my husband past the point at which I no longer wish to bring additional children into the world.

Think of Stan's mom from the South Park Movie.

Be a person first, an "activist" second. NEVER allow your activism to supercede your LIFE. Or that of another person.

Always remember that you have a basic right to life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness (bearing in mind that "to pursue" does not necessarily always mean "to catch"), and to fair and equal treatment under the law-- and SO DOES EVERYONE ELSE. You DO NOT have a right to be free of listening to other peoples' diametrically opposed and therefore idiotic opinions. You have to give to others the rights you wish to enjoy for yourself.

That sentence, widely practiced, could stop the culture wars in their tracks.

SailorSaiyan93
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 May 2016, 2:29 pm

Indeed. While I'm for more minority representation and all as I myself am just interested in diversity, these people are rather cancerous to the things they claim to fight for. I suppose that as one with Aspergers, I myself do have 'triggers' in a sense as in things that do make me upset, yet, and I really don't mean to make myself sound like a narcissistic prick, why is it that I know that lashing out on people and causing a s**t storm on the internet will only make things worse? Plus, there's a little thing called the 'back button' and the 'erase history' tool. Pretty handy things, they are.

Ironic enough that the things that do upset me sometimes more often than not COME from SJWs themselves and their slew of crap.

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2016, 7:35 pm

My simple equation is if X=SJW.. I avoid it/them like plague. They do not advocate SOCIAL discourse, they do not dispense equitable JUSTICE and they are NOT WARRIORS.

x ≠ Rights Advocate

Autism doesn't get to payout so well that they need to get dx for it and then help the effected as a minority. *shudder!* A mixed blessing.

By the way classical feminists like Christina Hoff Sommers still exist but may go way of the Rhino. And then we will be left with loud fascist tie-dyed overweight honeybadgers that subscribe to having a different identity every week.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2016, 9:47 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Autism probably doesn't even register on their oppression scale since we're mostly CIS white male scum to them anyway.

Far too many autistic people deny the existence of white privilege (and male privilege, cis privilege, etc.), and I think this is a problem that's worthy of discussion.

Why do so many autistic people deny their privilege? Well, I think the STEM complex is a big part of it. Autistic youths are often encouraged to go into more technical areas of study, while simultaneously discouraged from pursuing liberal arts and social studies. They never get a chance to learn what privilege is, and that's not a topic a young white male is likely to explore on their own.

Which brings me to my next point: A disproportionate number of (diagnosed) autistic people are straight, cisgendered, caucasian, vaguely Christian, and male. This means autistic youths will tend to grow up in a bubble where they're surrounded by other straight white dudes and will naturally develop straight white dude perspectives and values. When I was in college, the university's autism program was heavily skewed toward white men; only three of us were women, two of us were a religious minority, and two of us weren't white. This was out of over a dozen people, mind you.

It's time to face the facts, the autism community has a diversity problem.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 1:20 am

The failure to often to diagnose people that are not stereotypical Sheldon types is not a matter of privilege but discrimination. The people bieng correctly diagnosed because they fit the stereotype are getting fairly treated, those that are not diagnosed because they do not fit the stereotypes are getting treated unfairly. Guilt tripping entire groups of people rather then calling out those who actually descriminate and perpetuate stereotypes is counterproductive.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 May 2016, 1:43 am

Barchan wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Autism probably doesn't even register on their oppression scale since we're mostly CIS white male scum to them anyway.

Far too many autistic people deny the existence of white privilege (and male privilege, cis privilege, etc.), and I think this is a problem that's worthy of discussion.

Why do so many autistic people deny their privilege? Well, I think the STEM complex is a big part of it. Autistic youths are often encouraged to go into more technical areas of study, while simultaneously discouraged from pursuing liberal arts and social studies. They never get a chance to learn what privilege is, and that's not a topic a young white male is likely to explore on their own.

Which brings me to my next point: A disproportionate number of (diagnosed) autistic people are straight, cisgendered, caucasian, vaguely Christian, and male. This means autistic youths will tend to grow up in a bubble where they're surrounded by other straight white dudes and will naturally develop straight white dude perspectives and values. When I was in college, the university's autism program was heavily skewed toward white men; only three of us were women, two of us were a religious minority, and two of us weren't white. This was out of over a dozen people, mind you.

It's time to face the facts, the autism community has a diversity problem.

Where did you grow up? I bet it was MUCH more white and affluent than the place I grew up. Anybody demonizing another group as privileged are beyond clueless as they cannot seem to understand that is as prejudice and RACIST as anything they accuse(and they accuse A LOT) others of doing. The reason I was diagnosed was because of the issues I had/still have were preventing from going to school and being able to socialize normally, my parents were working class who were responsible people(not drug addicts or criminals) that stayed married and were able to have jobs that provided them health insurance for the sake of the children. I can only think of two words I'd say in response to someone saying my life is privileged. If you have no noticeable social deficit and don't fit the DSM criteria then you probably shouldn't be identifying as someone on the spectrum.

SJWs are really simpletons, they think of equality in the most unthinking ways possible as if there isn't a set number of outgroups represented in whatever field that it must be racism/sexism/whateverism. You do realize what demographic the overwhelming majority of this country is right? Even in Autism which by all accounts in the world is something that there is a much larger ratio of men to women it must be discrimination! It's a worldview not based in reality, it is a worldview born out of college Marxists who are really are the most privileged people on the planet. This theory about STEM is ridiculous, if only more people on the spectrum were gender studies majors we would understand privilege! What did you major in may I ask? By the way, I've learned plenty of about liberal arts and social studies. The reason why I think people tend not to go into those fields is because most people would like to have jobs with their degrees and if you have the talent and intelligence to do something better then you do.

I'd love to continue this in PPR, I'm sure you don't. Thanks for proving my post right by the way. Also before you accuse me of racism, misogyny, or whatever, just know that I personally dislike you as poster and not whatever groups you identify with. Looking thru your posts it seems you make a habit of looking for and replying to my posts, even ones almost a year old like this one.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 2:19 am

AS isn't a label nor an identity, it's a medical diagnosis. I am also premenopausal. My doctor wrote it on my chart but it's not my identity. Neither is hyperthyroidism. Neither is anxiety disorder. AS is a real thing, it wasn't made up on tmblr. If AS is an identity then anyone can just identify with it and claim it. Hippie is an identity, Italian is not. Vegan is an identity, deaf is not. Survivalist is an identity, paranoid schizophrenic is not. While someone may incorporate AS into their identity that doesn't make AS an identity. It's not at all part of mine and I've been diagnosed by a medical professional but I never think about it unless I'm here. I'm sure there is some self diagnosed person out there who actually doesn't have it who has decided they do and makes everything about it and they identify with it and call it their identity too. But that doesn't make it their identity any more than I could decide I'm blind or English or gay and that be my actual identity.

Now in response to the OP. I don't want SJWs around anything really. Can't stand them. Laughable at best. Really ridiculous because they usually come from the more privileged faction of society and go around telling others to check their privilege. Anyway, about autism rights.

I think autism rights should be the goal that we have the same rights as everyone else. We have the same right to try for admission to schools and to get jobs, and yes some of us require reasonable accommodations, but reasonable is the keyword. If with accommodations that do not unduly disrupt the other students or employees the person can do the work or the job and they are the best candidate then give it to them. But we do not by any means need a rights push to say that standards should be lowered or changed to accommodate us. Plenty of NT people get turned down for jobs or admission every day and we are no better or worse than they are.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 8:58 am

Nobody should be telling anybody how they should and should not identify. Most people I know identify by ethnic or racial background. And they usually do not call themselves Irish-American or Italian-American but Irish or Italian. If they want to celebrate by walking in a parade let em. If they are wrong in thier self identification they hurt themselves the most.

This is the harm the SJW's and the like has caused. They are blurring the lines between helpful or innoculous self identification and divisive identity politics. Who the hell are they to decide that if you belong to a certain group you need to constantly think about in what ways you are oppressing another group or that you need to berate yourself for bieng lucky bieng or for bieng in a good circumstance.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 29 May 2016, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

GhostsInTheWallpaper
Toucan
Toucan

29 May 2016, 9:35 am

I'm a long-time lurker in the social justice Internet. I am able to make a certain sense of a lot of what they say, and to charitably interpret their intended mission as to (a) reduce internal bias (virtually all of us absorb stereotypes and prejudices from mainstream culture, which could cause us to limit ourselves and inadvertently be rude to others), (b) increase empathy by considering the fact that people who don't share our dominant-group assignments have likely been through things we might find it hard to imagine, and (c) question whether continued social inequalities in the wake of successful civil rights movements are really biological destiny or if there might be a way to remedy them, for instance, with further cultural change that reduces the transmission of stereotypes and prejudices from one generation to the next.

However, I totally get that lots of people find their tactics alienating. They use words that are misleading to outsiders and deliberately intended to shock and provoke, which might be fine for insiders trying to break down their biases, but tell an outsider that they have dominant-group privilege and they're going to interpret that as having led a cushy life, when they may have been hit by poverty, divorce, mental health issues, or who knows what. And of course they're going to think that's BS.

So then, if the Social Justice insider than says to this person who is assigned to many dominant groups but still didn't lead a cushy life, "Well, then you're full of BS if you don't see what I'm talking about," that's where they're undermining their cause. They tend to let their discussions devolve into displays of their insider status and moral superiority among themselves, and flame wars with outsiders.

Maybe they can have these discussions in a more private sphere, but their public face, if they really want to achieve the goals I mentioned above, should probably be more diplomatic. They have a right to their angry rants about how the civil rights movement of the 1960s didn't bring full racial equality, the second-wave feminist movement didn't bring full gender equality, and so on, but they shouldn't expect those rants to build bridges or change the opinions of those who disagree with them. The big battles (civil rights movements) seem to be won with diplomacy, and the small battles of reducing lingering subtle issues post-civil-rights probably just need lots of time and patience.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 10:42 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The people bieng correctly diagnosed because they fit the stereotype are getting fairly treated, those that are not diagnosed because they do not fit the stereotypes are getting treated unfairly.

Yes this is true, but part of the stereotype of autism is being a white male. Sheldon is a white male. Sherlock Holmes is a white male. Most lists of "famous autistic people" on the internet are nothing but white males. If you type "autism" into Google image search, you will mostly find pictures of young white boys.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Guilt tripping entire groups of people rather then calling out those who actually descriminate and perpetuate stereotypes is counterproductive.

Isn't that what I'm doing though? I'm not blaming all white men. I'm blaming white men who fail to recognize white male privilege.

Jacoby wrote:
Where did you grow up? I bet it was MUCH more white and affluent than the place I grew up.

I grew up in Mahaweel Iraq, and went to high school and college in eastern Kentucky. Affluent? Hardly. I've been wearing the same shoes since 2012.

Jacoby wrote:
The reason I was diagnosed was because of the issues I had/still have were preventing from going to school and being able to socialize normally, my parents were working class who were responsible people(not drug addicts or criminals) that stayed married and were able to have jobs that provided them health insurance for the sake of the children.

And I was diagnosed because of behavioral and disciplinary problems, relating to sensory input and poor stress-management. Working class parents, no health insurance. And I don't want this to be a contest to see whose life is sh***ier, but I had to visit about five different doctors in America before I could get my diagnosis, because every doctor wanted to attribute my autism problems to "cultural differences." If I were a white boy with a southern drawl I'm sure I could have gotten my diag on the first or second visit. White privilege is real.

Jacoby wrote:
I can only think of two words I'd say in response to someone saying my life is privileged. If you have no noticeable social deficit and don't fit the DSM criteria then you probably shouldn't be identifying as someone on the spectrum.

Uh... Excuse me?
I do have a noticeable social deficit, and I do fit the criteria for Asperger's Syndrome in the DSM-4 and Level 1 Autism in the DSM-5. Are you questioning that?

Having white male privilege doesn't mean you never have any problems, or face any adversity. What it does mean is that the adversity you face will be lessened by your privilege, and by support networks that are designed to cater to you and people like yourself.

Jacoby wrote:
SJWs are really simpletons, they think of equality in the most unthinking ways possible as if there isn't a set number of outgroups represented in whatever field that it must be racism/sexism/whateverism.

Well... it is racism. I've just given you a perfect example of how institutional racism has affected me personally. I went undiagnosed for years because of racism. All those psychology visits weren't cheap, how do you think I paid for them? I survived a war, but they sure didn't give me a GI bill.

Jacoby wrote:
You do realize what demographic the overwhelming majority of this country is right?

America is about 65% white. It's a majority, but not an overwhelming one. White people are disproportionately more likely to be diagnosed with autism, this isn't debatable. It's a statistical fact. And it's a fact that women and minorities often feel alienated in an educational environment that ignores their needs and their problems in favor of a white male majority.

Jacoby wrote:
Even in Autism which by all accounts in the world is something that there is a much larger ratio of men to women it must be discrimination! It's a worldview not based in reality, it is a worldview born out of college Marxists who are really are the most privileged people on the planet.

Autism is definitely underdiagnosed in women. I shudder to think where I'd be today without my diagnosis, and my heart weeps for the countless undiagnosed women struggling in the world today. This makes me a marxist... how, exactly?

What does "marxist" even mean in this context? Marxism is a socioeconomic system based on the working class controlling the means of production in accordance with the labor theory of value; it's not a generic term for every leftist idea you don't like.

Jacoby wrote:
This theory about STEM is ridiculous, if only more people on the spectrum were gender studies majors we would understand privilege! What did you major in may I ask? By the way, I've learned plenty of about liberal arts and social studies. The reason why I think people tend not to go into those fields is because most people would like to have jobs with their degrees and if you have the talent and intelligence to do something better then you do.

What I majored in is none of your concern, and honestly I'm getting a little creeped out by all the personal questions.

Jacoby wrote:
I'd love to continue this in PPR, I'm sure you don't.

Try me.

Jacoby wrote:
Thanks for proving my post right by the way. Also before you accuse me of racism, misogyny, or whatever, just know that I personally dislike you as poster and not whatever groups you identify with. Looking thru your posts it seems you make a habit of looking for and replying to my posts, even ones almost a year old like this one.

Oh my God are you seriously browsing through my post history just to bring up some dirt on me? That's sick. And you act like I'm personally attacking you, but I'm not. I believe that white privilege exists, and that it's a problem that needs to be addressed in our community (and society at large). I would have responded to your post the exact same way if anyone had posted it, because it's something that needed to be said. Oh, your post was a year old? Sorry, I didn't realize there's a statute of limitations on conservative alt-right reactionary nonsense.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 11:49 am

Somebody who supposedly grew up in eastern Kentucky makes some ridiculous claims about white privilege, what part of eastern Kentucky? Lexington? I don't think anybody that grew up in Appalachia would make these claims of white privilege altho perhaps you have some issues to work out as everyone does about the places they grew up because there is a lot bitterness in your posts. I am sorry if people were mean to you where you grew up because you are Iraqi, as I was a minority where I went to school I can understand how mean people can be. I grew up in urban inner city of Milwaukee which is poorer and less white than that part of the country, most people I grew up around and went to school with were not white and the white people I did know were the poor abandoned people that weren't able to move anywhere else. You've been wearing the same shoes since 2012, so what? Lots of people wear shoes for years, the lucky thing when you mature as an adult is that your feet stop growing thus the need to get new shoes so often. Don't pretend you are walking around with holes in shoes if it's not true.

So what you had to visit 5 doctors?(Psychiatrists or what?) Lots of people have to visit multiple doctors, don't blame me for your parents not having health insurance. Don't blame me for the ignorance of doctors. My parents made that a priority as my brothers both needed it to live as they had epilepsy and had other congenital problems as well. It was a real privilege seeing my brothers have hundreds of grand mal or whatever seizures, it was a real privilege seeing my brother have open heart surgery when he was 5 years old. I saw a few therapists, I had a lot of issues at school, and they sent me to 2 psychiatrists one that diagnosed me on the spectrum and the other that wanted to think about the early onset of schizophrenia which was totally ridiculous. It's not an easy process for anyone, my mother shouldered that burden for me.

Now I don't think if you would of stayed in Iraq you would of been diagnosed, I'm not sure you'd even have went to high school, what type of privilege is that? Sunni Arab Male privilege? It's nonsense. I find it highly insulting. How is it racism that you weren't diagnosed right away? Typically most people go thru a couple diagnosis first, at least that is how it went. It didn't happen in one trip, it was a process that took a few years but I wasn't much of an active participant as getting an autism diagnosis wasn't a life goal of mine. Look up all the people that struggle with doctors here, guess what most are probably cis white males! Gross, right? :roll: Were you an adult when you were diagnosed? That is probably the biggest reason why if that is the case, they like to have a paper trail since you were a child since the difficulties associated with the autistic spectrum are suppose develop then as it is a developmental disorder whereas if they come about later in adulthood some other pathology is suspected like schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.

You are more specifically a cultural Marxist since you buy in intersectional critical theory garbage, look up where that field of study came from. Why is it so personal that I asked you what you went to school for? Was it actually women's studies, did I call my shot? Do you work in the field? They've been trying to push me more into the STEM direction but my math skills are not so strong, they just think technology is a better course than a field where you have to interact and be around people all the time. I actually more interested in history and politics than anything but I recognize those degrees as useless and more indoctrination at that level than anything.

You are attacking me since you reply to my posts probably more than anybody on this forum as if you seek them out. This is the only subject you seem to talk about, is this your special interest or something? Please use more buzzwords to describe me by the way, it makes you sound really smart. Like I said, see in PPR if you want to continue this, I don't think it is appropriate on this part of the forum. Just remember you are the one that sought me out.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 12:16 pm

Jono wrote:
What's with all this ant-feminism nonsense? Extreme radicals in feminism are just as rare as extreme radicals in neurodiversity and neither Anita Sarkeesian nor Rebecca Watson did anything remotely bad enough to get the amount of scorn they seem to get. Anita Sarkeesian isn't even trying to censor games like what some people seem to claim that she is doing, she's just criticising content, the same way all other media, including books and movies get criticised.

My guess is that a lot of these people feed into their own biases and prejudices to bolster their self-esteem.
It's a bit like Sartre's theories on why people are racist.

Dox47 wrote:
Do you spend much time perusing mainstream feminist blogs and or tumblr these days?

From what I've seen you're intelligent enough to know sites like tumblr are not a representative sample, and it's disingenuous for you to act as though they are.

Also, tumblr is mostly porn. Just saying.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 12:44 pm

AJisHere wrote:
From what I've seen you're intelligent enough to know sites like tumblr are not a representative sample, and it's disingenuous for you to act as though they are.

Also, tumblr is mostly porn. Just saying.

That's why I said mainstream feminist blogs in addition to tumblr, as any quick perusal of Jezebel, Everyday Feminism, Feministing, etc will turn up examples of what feminists on WP keep trying to dismiss as "fringe views" being promoted front and center. I don't even have to go to feminist sites to find this stuff, Marcotte and Valenti write for mainstream sites and papers, and similar views are regularly espoused by less infamous feminists at virtually every left of center new site out there.

If I widen my focus from social justice feminism specifically to social justice idiocy writ large, the floodgates burst open with examples; the Chalkening, sh***y Asian food = cultural appropriation, and the white dreadlock attack being some of the first to come to mind. Regular people are starting to notice, too:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... nd/399356/

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/ ... s-colleges

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 1:04 pm

@Dox47: I don't believe I can respond to you in this thread without derailing it. Take the conversation to PM if you wish to discuss this.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 1:15 pm

I'd say this thread is already thoroughly derailed, it probably shouldn't of been brought back from the dead. SJW discussions should probably stick to PPR, maybe a mod can move this thread there?

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 5:36 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Nobody should be telling anybody how they should and should not identify. Most people I know identify by ethnic or racial background. And they usually do not call themselves Irish-American or Italian-American but Irish or Italian. If they want to celebrate by walking in a parade let em. If they are wrong in thier self identification they hurt themselves the most.

This is the harm the SJW's and the like has caused. They are blurring the lines between helpful or innoculous self identification and divisive identity politics. Who the hell are they to decide that if you belong to a certain group you need to constantly think about in what ways you are oppressing another group or that you need to berate yourself for bieng lucky bieng or for bieng in a good circumstance.

Identifying has gotten out of hand. Yes, tans people have the wrong naughty parts at birth because their brain is set to the opposite sex's frequency. I'm not talking about trans folks. I'm talking about vampires and star people and OTHERKIN, and people really feeling like they are a different race or ethnicity than they are or people saying they read three issues of Psychology Today, watched Oprah and Googled and now identify as DID or as we said back in the day, multiple personalities, or whatever medical diagnosis, and (here is the part that is the problem) insisting that everyone else play pretend with them and wanting to use, stalk, harass or just whine in everyone's face about it.

I don't care if you think you are a giraffe from the North Pole who eats only poultry. In totally fine with you thinking that. But keep it to yourself. Don't involve me or anyone else in it cause some things just have no call to be said. it doesn't change anything if somebody else doesn't believe that a girl who has no Hispanic ancestors at all and is obviously not Hispanic, is actually Hispanic because SHE FEELS LIKE SHE IS.

Feeling don't make it so and SJW and that crowd are holding on to preschool magical thinking along with their temper fits, whining, and rattling all the damn time.

That's what I can't stand about this identity thing. It's not fact based anymore. Hell it's not even in the same ballpark, neighborhood, city or state as facts anymore. It's whatever you feel is right. And before you ask me how it hurts anyone else when someone believes some thought up BS, ill say it up front. Believing you are something that all the evidence points against, despite the proof because you feel like it's true is what people who have delusions do. It's what toddlers do. And its what people who are voluntarily letting go of any semblance of reality are doing just because they now can do it and there is a whole bunch of people with too much time on their hands and unfocused emotion going around cheering them on. That kinda thing used to be called inciting.

What's wrong with reality? What's wrong with the fact that not everybody can have what they want. What's wrong with facing facts and letting go of an obviously untrue fantasy or wish and moving on and seeking out something else that gets your motor running that is actually real or could be if you worked on it?

I'm so glad my kids think tumblr is ridiculous and see it as nothing more than a place to get a laugh online. Or should i call them my Power Rangers, cause for a few years there they were convinced they were?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com