Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

gravityfalls222
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jul 2015, 9:19 pm

Violetvee wrote:
d057 wrote:
I have never heard of that show. I will look into it when I get the chance to do so!

Paladin99 wrote:
There was this action series called "Alphas", which was about people with superpowers, sort of like X-Men.
One of the protagonists there is called Gary, and while he is said to have autism, he's portrayed pretty realistically.

It's on Netflix, and unfortunately it only got 2 seasons because Syfy screwed it over. Gary is a great example of a high-functioning autistic in media. Makes it easy to forget the actor who played him is neurotypical, but he did his research.

One of my favorite movies is Mary and Max, with the latter character having Asperger's. It's a fairly good example of such as well. It's worth watching even if stop-motion films aren't your thing.

I think Mary and Max is one of the best portrayals- my aspie friend and I agree (I'm autistic). It's one of my favorite films too!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 5:22 pm

What about the Will Graham character from the show Hannibal?

d057
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 5:31 pm

I read a few articles about that character, and I kinda question that when it says he has the ability to "sympathize with psychopaths." They would have to be careful how they portrayed that. I would be repulsed by it if the writers tried to justify whatever they did to earn the title "psychopath."

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
What about the Will Graham character from the show Hannibal?

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 7:42 am

Sheldon Cooper is a extremely over-exaggerated portrayal of Asperger's Syndrome.

Spencer Reid shows some signs of Asperger's Syndrome however I don't think there are enough for his diagnosis. Spencer's mother was schizophrenic, correct? Reminds me of a famous aspie, Jacob Applebaum responsible for the Tor Project and FDE( full disk encryption) which I have set up on my computer, his mother was also schizophrenic.

There are movies strictly about Asperger's and Autism I believe I heard of one called X+Y in the UK. It's about the IMO and based on a true story. It is based on a documentary called Beautiful Young Minds which is available on YouTube and divided into 6 approx. 15 minute parts. The two people with autism are Jos and Daniel, sadly Jos didn't make it to the IMO. Daniel did and placed silver. I actually think Daniel was diagnosed during the documentary's filming. Jos is quite a character he is very bold, a trifle arrogant and very witty. Daniel on the other hand is not confident, shy and is very inconsistent meaning his tests results fluctuate. Daniel was a bit more social but Jos was more introvert and didn't get along with others. I suggest you watch it.

Also I remember a aspie named Carl on a cartoon there is a video on YouTube I think it's Arthur or something. He is also quite exaggerated.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 9:45 am

I would call Sheldon Cooper a caricature.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 3:31 pm

Yes that would be it.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 2:50 pm

There is a swedish movie called "simple simon" ("i rymden finns det inga känslor" in swedish)
The main character Simon is a steriotypical aspie, but i do think that it in some/many ways does portray the issues that may aspies face in their daily lives, although it may be a bit overlayed in the movie, but it is NOT bad, and if you dont mind subtitles or know swedish i recommend you watch it.

AppleChips
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Aug 2015, 5:51 am

I watch Community and I find the character Abed is a good portrayal of Asperger.

murmillo99
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Aug 2015, 4:06 pm

The new "Vacation" movie depicts sorority girls doing an "ass burgers" charity but it wasn't meant to offend autistic people, just show how ignorant the drunk college girls are.

murmillo99
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Aug 2015, 4:25 pm

Stereotypes like jock or token sassy black woman are easy tropes, so awkward eccentric guy and manic pixie dream girl are ours. I tell people I'm like Brick from the show "the Middle" because he's a positive version.

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 8:05 am

I know others have mentioned this, but I think The Bridge (which Alex consulted on) is one of the most accurate portrayals of ASD on TV.

I believe one person said that it's because, although AS is part of who the main character is, she isn't defined by it.

Abe1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Aug 2015, 5:14 pm

UK TV Series set in a school, Waterloo Road. (Series 3)

There was a pupil at the school with Aspergers, and while it was a bit OTT at the start, her character did settled down a little.

AutisticGuy1981
Toucan
Toucan

24 Aug 2015, 8:34 am

any of you watching the tv series "mr.robot" about a hacker with social anxiety ?

It's really good and the character reminds me of my self sometimes.

the actor is really good too

ProbablyOverthinkingThisUsername
Raven
Raven

26 Sep 2015, 8:47 pm

Paladin99 wrote:
There was this action series called "Alphas", which was about people with superpowers, sort of like X-Men.
One of the protagonists there is called Gary, and while he is said to have autism, he's portrayed pretty realistically.

When I saw this thread that's the first thing I thought of. My favorite scene with him is at the 8 minute 46 second mark of this one (which apparently the link won't skip ahead, sorry):

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2015, 9:32 am

The problem I have with the BBT is that when the laugh track laughs, it means that we, the audience, are supposed to be laughing at some nerdy thing that the guys do, not laughing with them. The fact that even Sheldon's only friends make mean jokes about him all the time makes me uncomfortable.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

milksnake
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2015, 4:04 pm

I must admit, I too find BBT hard to watch, just makes me cringe.

Moss from IT Crowd: Usual geeky stereotype but sympathetically portrayed.

Rust Cohle from True Detective; extremely reclusive, socially inept and ostracized by his colleagues but has awesome logical reasoning abilities and obsessive determination.