Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 1:41 am

Documentary follows autistics as they deal with anxiety around a school dance. The documentary premiers at the Sundance Film Festival Sunday. HBO will air it in the fall.

http://www.disabilityscoop.com/2015/01/15/hbo-autism-documentary/19965/

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2015, 4:10 pm

Ah, proms and the dance. NT gatherings I never bothered with.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 4:45 pm

I never attended prom or any school dances either. I mean honestly, you stand around and listen to sh***y music while you're surrounded by dozens of other people, and you're not even allowed to get wasted enough to stop caring? Doesn't sound like my idea of a good time at all.

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2015, 5:49 pm

I also have an aversion to these events because all the "popular people" (who, non-coincidentally, are NTs) get to act superior and all that.

Not my thing.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 9:34 pm

I most certainly did not attend "my" prom. That is why I am curious if or why these autistics wanted to attend, and how they fared.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2015, 12:47 pm

This is now on HBO. I watched it last night.

I like the overall idea of making teenagers do a practice prom so that later when they really want to date or have to dance, dress up, whatever, they'll have some experience. There were some things I did not like, such as when the girl said she didn't like touching people and the teacher said, "We'll break you of that!" Why not just say something like, "We can help you make that more tolerable." Or "You might meet someone one day, like a romantic partner, or your child, who you don't mind touching."

I also thought the boss in the bakery was WAY off in how she handled talking to the girl with the glasses. Why couldn't she just say something like, "When you did X, it had Y results. Please do Z instead." I thought everything the boss said was vague. I'm on the extreme end of neurotypical and *I* would have been puzzled by what she said. I would have asked for specific examples. Or simply quit.

Has anyone else seen it? What did you think?

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 4:27 pm

I liked it. I liked how they just let the story tell itself and tried not insert their own personal opinion into it. Showed it as it was. The part where the counselors were setting up dates was downright cute.

Quote:
I also thought the boss in the bakery was WAY off in how she handled talking to the girl with the glasses. Why couldn't she just say something like, "When you did X, it had Y results. Please do Z instead." I thought everything the boss said was vague. I'm on the extreme end of neurotypical and *I* would have been puzzled by what she said. I would have asked for specific examples. Or simply quit.

I hated that part of the movie. It reminded me a lot of some of my experiences working at non-profits with the same goal. They tend to be filled with unqualified people who have no training or a degree and they tend to be paid as minimally as possible, so they really don't care about the work they do. The turnover rates at these places are on par with Safeway.

Princessdracula
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Nov 2015, 11:24 pm

Pileo wrote:
I liked it. I liked how they just let the story tell itself and tried not insert their own personal opinion into it. Showed it as it was. The part where the counselors were setting up dates was downright cute.

Quote:

I hated that part of the movie. It reminded me a lot of some of my experiences working at non-profits with the same goal. They tend to be filled with unqualified people who have no training or a degree and they tend to be paid as minimally as possible, so they really don't care about the work they do. The turnover rates at these places are on par with Safeway.

i hated that too it, it really upset me esp when the boss said she didn't have to understand her bc she was an employee
:(