Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Jaloria
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Dec 2015, 12:06 am

Looking for documentary's I can watch that mainly focus on the neurological sciences behind autism spectrum and or the lives of individuals on the spectrum. The more in depth the better I'm a quick study and want to learn as much as possible from any point of view. Eventually my goal is to be an experimental psychologist an advocate for autistic individuals rights. I'm also seeking to understand myself better. Any suggestions welcome ,please an thank you ! :D

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2015, 1:45 am

Aspergers The Movie

Autism in Pink

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ErwinNL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2015, 5:00 am

https://www.ted.com/playlists/153/the_autism_spectrum

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01gk4xc

http://watchdocumentary.org/watch/louis ... c03a4.html

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls051811246/

There are many more but these I watched recently.

Last edited by ErwinNL on 22 Dec 2015, 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

ErwinNL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2015, 5:06 am

Can you post the movies you already watched and liked?

[note]Why can't I edit & submit my post? / never mind, figured it out

Jaloria
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Dec 2015, 8:06 am

Yes I most definitely will repost the ones that I like. I'm unsure how to post them on wrong planet but I will try , in the meantime I will share them to my Facebook page. I greatly appreciate you sharing these thank you :)

Jaloria
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Dec 2015, 9:18 am

I was both greatly motivated and disturbed to see a more realalistic picture of what autism can present itself as characteristicky in its more severe cases. The old debate of nature vs nurture comes to mind. Not to ," blame" the parents for causing autism. But to wonder partially what behaviors and problems uniquely identify with parental techniques that could'vebeen taught but wweren't and what if any behaviors are simply "unfixable." Again not to associate blame but to seek a solution(s).

Jaloria
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Dec 2015, 9:24 am

I must admit that biastly Iwould like to say that iI only LIKED the first video you shared. Even though the other videos quite effectively broadened my outlook and knowledge as I was seeking to do. Its hard to watch people suffer an being told autism does not need to be cured makes me feel special instead of parasitical. But I'm forcing myself to see these kind of things I believe that I can digest them an use it as motivation to study harder and find necessary answers.

Jaloria
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Dec 2015, 9:38 am

The two youtube videos were an interesting contrast to the links sent bellow by another member. There seems to a huge political gap between those of the loved ones and diagnosed with aspergers an those with severe autism. Those whom have experienced more troubles from their autism an thosewhom flourish from it. I say this loosely as a blanketed opinion because as already established it is a "spectrum". Whether or not it can be anything other than a disorder is a huge political debate . Now I understand why.

Jaloria
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Dec 2015, 10:08 am

I was both greatly motivated and disturbed to see a more realalistic picture of what autism can present itself as characteristicky in its more severe cases. The old debate of nature vs nurture comes to mind. Not to ," blame" the parents for causing autism. But to wonder partially what behaviors and problems uniquely identify with parental techniques that could'vebeen taught but wweren't and what if any behaviors are simply "unfixable." Again not to associate blame but to seek a solution(s).