Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2015, 1:02 pm

My sister has this autism speaks sweat shirt that I want to destroy. Any tips on Persuasion?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2015, 1:22 pm

You got to persuade her not to give to you but to destroy or throw it in the garbage.
Your plan will reenforce negative stereotypes and make her dislike us even more.

But maybe she does not hate us at all but is just doing what siblings often do to each other, purposely annoy each other.

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 24 Dec 2015, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2015, 1:26 pm

Pay for it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2015, 3:21 pm

Good ideas... :)

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2015, 3:26 pm

Does your sister think she is being supportive by wearing the shirt? Or is she deliberately vexing you? I know a lot of people who mistakenly think that supporting Autism Speaks is supporting autistic people. So their intentions are good, they are just uninformed.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2015, 3:46 pm

She thinks she's being supportive.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2015, 3:51 pm

Pieplup wrote:

It is possible she will interpret any criticism of Autism Speaks as criticism of her support. I would play the long game. That is, wait for opportune moments to express your concerns regarding the organization. Time will show Autism Speaks for what it is.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2015, 4:29 pm

Okay.. That would be better because she doesn't like it when, I talk about autism or my Special interest Pokemon.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2015, 8:46 pm

If she does not like you talking about your autism how about a compromise. You don't talk about autism around her and she does not wear clothing about autism around you.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 1:03 pm

Another thing is that, She is the only neurotypical sibling in the family. She obvoiusly wants a "Real Brother/Sister"

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 1:50 pm

Pieplup wrote:

Have you talked to her about this and told her why you don't find it supportive?

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 2:40 pm

Yeah, She didn't believe me.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 2:43 pm

How old is your sister?

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2015, 4:20 pm

Tell her direct. "If you love and respect me, you won't wear that t-shirt" she won't take it in right away, but if you remain consistent and stick to your principles, she may give in in years to come.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 1:15 pm

She's 16 and she tries to play the older sister role.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 8:05 pm

Hmm. That is difficult. I am the older sister myself, and I was quite bossy and a know-it-all. Sibling relationships are difficult when you are still young.

I guess if your sister is trying on purpose to irritate you, there isn't much to be done, other than taking it and destroying it which will most likely get you into trouble.

If she really thinks she's being supportive, and that you are being unreasonable, or immature, then explaining things to her in a very mature and respectful manner may get the point across.