Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 12:26 am

Times of Israel

Quote:
The programs announced by the academy are psychology and education, economics and computer science, and psychology

One of the features of the new college will be the elimination of admissions requirements, giving those with learning and developmental disabilities the chance to begin studying for a degree without preconditions

I do not like this. The combination of separating us from the general population and no admission requirements sends a message we are just not as good as the the general population. If I am an employer why would I hire somebody from a college with no admissions requirements?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 1:34 pm

what do you mean by admission requirements?

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 1:39 pm

Some people with autism and learning disabilities truly cannot get into or graduate from regular university, so this college could benefit them. It doesn't mean that there is some implied message that all autistic students cannot go to regular university. I think it means there is improved chance for learning something interesting and employable skills at this college focused on certain types of students.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 2:14 pm

Simmian7 wrote:
what do you mean by admission requirements?

It usually involves achieving a certain grade level. It can involve a certain amount of extra curricula activities,or writing a competent essay of why you want to attend the college.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 2:18 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Some people with autism and learning disabilities truly cannot get into or graduate from regular university, so this college could benefit them. It doesn't mean that there is some implied message that all autistic students cannot go to regular university. I think it means there is improved chance for learning something interesting and employable skills at this college focused on certain types of students.

It has nothing to do with any message actually sent, but what messages potential employers think they are receiving.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 9:10 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

It has nothing to do with any message actually sent, but what messages potential employers think they are receiving.

There is no message about all autistic people not being able to go to college or have a career.
This college is for some students who can learn a lot and do well there, but may not get anywhere by regular college route.
I support the idea of this college, because it opens educational opportunity with college degree to more students with disabilities.
More people with disabilities may learn academics and skills to be able to become employable.
That is good message to employers.
I think you are trying to find wrongness where there is potential benefit.
I can see of one obvious way that no admissions requirements could benefit someone who was placed in special ed all through school with usual result of learning little academic skills and not being able to get into any regular college.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 10:17 pm

I am not saying there should be typical admissions requirements but it is wrong to have none at all.

The negative messages about autistics will be recieved from the combinination of separation from the population and no admissions requirements.

Taking neurology out of this a lot of employers are much more reluctant to hire people from a college that has no admissions requirements

Israel might be different but here in the USA most every group at least until recently fought hard to be integrated to society because it was understood that for acceptence to happen people have to interact with your group and see although your group seems strange they can accomplish tangable things. Now that understanding is going away and what once was group pride is morphing into separatism.