Bob Wright from Autism Speaks on the Today Show, a Jacknape

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2016, 8:00 am

I have it on the Today show because I'm waiting for something better to start at 9 a.m.

Bob Wright is on doing an interview with my favorite [sarcasm because he's terrible] host Matt Lauer. Apparently, in addition to being the co-founder of Autism Speaks, he is ALSO the CEO of NBC. Which would make him a very powerful man in terms of what information he chooses to spread.

Anyway so they only talked about three things:

1- Matt saying how fantastic Wright is and how great A$ is, asking how he got involved
2- Matt asking if vaccines cause autism, because he said that has come up again
3-Wright's wife just got diagnosed with cancer

I was thunderstruck that Wright would not say that vaccines do NOT cause autism or that the original study that made that claim was fraudulent. That is common knowledge! Hello! Matt was like, so what do you say to people about vaccine safety? Wright went into this load of bologna about how people really need to decide on an individual basis if a vaccine is right for them because all people are different.

My kid is still too young for some vaccines, but he's gotten most of the big ones already. However, there was a time when he was a baby, that he was too young to get, say, the MMR one yet. So that meant that some jack*** who hadn't vaccinated their kid could infect my child with the measles.

And people take stupid media opinions seriously so Wright has a responsibility to be truthful.

I mean, what do you expect? But still.

Literally, the only helpful thing Wright said is that autism cannot be treated or cured. That should tell him something. Maybe that it's not a disease.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2016, 12:43 pm

Bob Wright WAS a successfull CEO at NBC
Wikipedia bio

Disagreement over vaccine causation has caused bitter disagreement within the Wright family.
Autism Debate Strains a Family and Its Charity - New York Times 2007

His former powerful position in the mainstream media has made Autism Speaks an extreamly difficult organization for nuerodiversity proponents to fight. What they claim is rarely questioned and unlike most charaties their finances are not investigated because Bob Wright is one of thier own, one of the boys. The type of fawning interview you probably saw is par for the course.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2016, 1:04 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Bob Wright WAS a successfull CEO at NBC
Wikipedia bio

Disagreement over vaccine causation has caused bitter disagreement within the Wright family.
Autism Debate Strains a Family and Its Charity - New York Times 2007

His former powerful position in the mainstream media has made Autism Speaks an extreamly difficult organization for nuerodiversity proponents to fight. What they claim is rarely questioned and unlike most charaties their finances are not investigated because Bob Wright is one of thier own, one of the boys. The type of fawning interview you probably saw is par for the course.

Oh ho. Was.

"Fawning" is a great way to put it.

Media these days reminds me of 1984 when the dude's job was to constantly switch around whether his country was friends or foes with Europa or Eurasia. It was impossible to know what was true. The only thing you could know for sure is that you were being lied to.