Awful looking Danish documentary "When the autism hit us"

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Silas 112
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 May 2016, 5:15 pm

https://www.facebook.com/tv2nyhederne/v ... 583728977/

It's in Danish so most of you won't understand it, but you can probably tell just by looking at this 30 second clip that it looks exactly like an Autism $peaks commercial. It's an upcoming documentary on one of Denmark's most popular tv channels and it's literally about how having an autistic kid will ruin your life. No seriously, the tagline is "When you get an autistic kid, your life will be destroyed".

The stuff they say in it is absolutely HORRIBLE. Stuff like "I always consider driving our car into a tree just to get it over with". Like I said before, the tagline literally claims that having an autistic kid will ruin your life no matter what. It's nothing but disgusting fear-mongering, but of course all the neurotypicals in the comments still feels bad for the "poor parents" who wants to murder their children.

I know sharing a Danish commercial seems weird to do on an international website, but I just had to get it off my chest and this is the only place where I can express my anger about without being shamed for it. Now I know how you Americans feel when Autism $peaks does this crap... it makes me scared, sad and angry at the same time to see them demonize us like this.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 12:35 am

That looks pretty horrible. I always get so angry when things like that neglect the fact that we are human too.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 8:18 am

Hopefully in Denmark the organization that put out that commercial is not nearly as influencial as Autism Speaks is in America.

The AnMish is a fabulous autism Vlogger from Denmark.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

MidnightLupin
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 May 2016, 1:11 pm

I have a friend with autism who lives in Denmark and things over there aren't really the best for autistic people from what she's told me so it doesn't surprise me that something like this has appeared.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2016, 2:32 pm

What did she describe?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

MidnightLupin
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 May 2016, 6:43 pm

There's a lot of cultural factors in it, from what I know there is some support for mental illness but unless it's really extremely obvious a lot of people aren't diagnosed for it and there is a bit of stigma against it and people tend to brush it under the rug in some circumstances. The school system also puts a lot of pressure on students and they are finished with high school at around age sixteen and there's a lot of expectations that you know what you want to do.