Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

VisInsita
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2016, 1:11 pm

I read from a Finnish news site that some rapper named 50 cent has publicly humiliated an autistic man by mocking him and sharing it on video on Instagram. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Adult autism pretty much doesn't have any media presence, but when it has, it's sadly just in situations like this.

Touretter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2016, 3:33 pm

The Young Turks did a report on this incident . The best response I can come up with in response is to post a parody rap music video , tongue in cheek .

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2016, 1:47 am

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... 1.2626309#

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2016, 2:01 am

Okay, so, now what is 50 Cent going to do to atone for the sin of donating to Autism Speaks?

TudorGothicSerpent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 May 2016, 3:01 am

VisInsita wrote:
I read from a Finnish news site that some rapper named 50 cent has publicly humiliated an autistic man by mocking him and sharing it on video on Instagram. What are your thoughts on the matter?

In the US, where he's more a part of pop culture, 50 Cent has a reputation for being...well, not exactly washed up but definitely not in his prime. He mostly gets in the news for negative things like filing bankruptcy last year, being accused of assault, and pushing back the release of his album that's been "upcoming" for half a decade. The actual music that he releases now is usually seen as fairly okay, but pretty dated in its style and content.

He's a rapper who's unable to adapt to a new decade, so this sort of stunt isn't really surprising. Frankly, I doubt that he knew the guy had autism, but I think he probably hoped that he would attack him (physically or verbally) and get him back in the spotlight.

Last edited by TudorGothicSerpent on 06 May 2016, 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2016, 3:12 am

is this a sad attempt at trying to not have everyone forget about him?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

TudorGothicSerpent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 May 2016, 3:34 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:

Probably. I mean, he's kind of stuck in a weird rut. He's good at producing the sort of "softened" gangster rap that was really popular in about 2003-2008. He can't do more serious music like classic gangster rappers, won't cut the violence to transition to pure club music or ditch the dance beat to move on to horrorcore, and if he tried to do the surreal sound that you get with alternative rap or drill, that would be like putting John McCain in a rave outfit. So, his only way of staying relevant is with cheap PR stunts and endorsements for a vodka brand whose name might have actually been edgy when he released his first major label album. It's almost kind of sad, like a zombie that remembers what it used to be and tries to go home, but can't figure out the door and loses its arm in the mail slot.

VisInsita
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2016, 12:51 pm

In the article included was his apology sent to the media stating that the incident at the airport resulted from "an unfortunate misunderstanding".

It made me wonder what exactly was misunderstood?

In which case it would have been totally OK to a) mock and harass people you don't know, b) to film that and c) to share this mockery to a large number of people on Instagram? Is the referred misunderstanding the fact that the employee wasn't on drugs, when in fact in any case this rapper didn't have anything to back up his claims and mockery? Unproven accusations and public mockery, when exactly did they become just unfortunate misunderstandings? And what is so fatalistically unfortunate in the choices PEOPLE MAKE?

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2016, 2:19 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised. He's only famous for being shot 9 times. His "music" is terrible.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 1:03 pm

TMZ reported ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLMdjW-Na4I ) on May 5 that "50 Cent" (Curtis James Jackson III) has donated $100,000 to ... Autism Speaks (AS) as his way to apologize for his behavior toward airport worker Andrew Farrell. The TMZ reporter advised Autism Speaks to get the donation "in the form of real cash" a reference to the performer's bankruptcies.

Sounds to me that Autism Speaks' lawyers persuaded the performers' lawyers to pay AS instead of Andrew Farrell and his family. Classy and classier all the way around. But, the Farrell's are still left out of the arrangements.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

VisInsita
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2016, 1:22 pm

Money...

Will it buy you forgiveness?

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2016, 8:40 pm

He shall never reconcile from the sin of donating 100k to Autism speaks!!