Page 23 of 26 [ 414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

sport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jan 2021, 7:53 am

MY dad was somewhat like that didn't think I was very smart sorta slow.That was before I was tested along time later and found to have autism+dd and he was already dead.

Caroline20
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 9:10 am

Q: How do you feel about the R word?
A: People want to mock me or make fun of me.

sport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jan 2021, 6:01 pm

I think it is terrible.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2021, 6:43 am

That word is the reason that I still have a fear of typical teenagers. I have my music softly playing on low at night, so I won't have to hear the ignorant noises that they make as they walk past my building.

hypostasis
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jan 2021, 8:42 am

I've given some thought to why people use it. Not just ret*d but offensive language like "idiot", "moron", "weird", and "weirdo". I've come to the conclusion that it's just a more socially acceptable way to insult autistic people. Nowadays you can't insult people with disabilities for their disability because they obviously can't help it. It's a taboo. I think it's good that it's taboo. It should be taboo to insult a disability. ret*d itself shouldn't even be a dirty word. It's the way people use it that has made it one. The sad thing is people with disabilities are vulnerable and a lot of us aren't in a position to self-advocate. I have the advantage of being articulate when I want to but with people that are actually mentally ret*d do you think they can defend themselves from bullies? Probably not. Those of us that are higher functioning need to advocate for the lesser functioning folks. The lesser functioning folks are still human beings deserving of respect. Somebody has to stand up for them. That's my 2 cents.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 9:34 am

^^^ :wtg:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 11:52 am

“ret*d” is shorthand for “ret*d” . “ret*d” was once a medical diagnosis. When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s “ret*d” was a schoolyard insult but was also used a purely descriptive term for what we now call “Intellectual Disability”.

“ret*d” came into use sometime later. I have never read or heard it used as anything but an insult.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

nican
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jan 2021, 6:20 pm

I think that the word ret*d is a common way for people to be cruel when they say it. However, I have more difficulty with the word autistic being used to describe in a pejorative way some behaviours that can be seen as weird. When used in such a context, it cast a negative light on people who exhibit such behaviours and make them more vulnerable. It also give the impression that being autistic is something negative, which should not be.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 6:25 pm

I'd rather be called "autistic" than "ret*d"--any day of the week.

Once, this kid went around all day calling me "ret*d." Then he wanted to shake my hand. I shook it all right---torn wrist ligaments for him! The kid's mother sent my mother a doctor bill. My mother didn't understand.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 7:05 pm

Hmmm..

The heck should I feel with the term?! :lol:

But here's what I've observed: people here are rather impressionable when it comes to western terms.

So yes, the term can be as much of a slur -- but as it is an English term, using it is not without any extra context more towards a direct speaker than the receiver or subject.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 8:59 pm

The problem about using the R-word is it assumes:

A. the speaker is superior to you, and
B. it does not apply to him.

The trouble is the people that use the term are mistaken on both counts...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 9:06 pm

in my experience the ones who promiscuously bandy this term, are the same kinds of folks who would likely vomit equally infantile invective such as "make like a tree and get outta here!"

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 9:30 pm

248RPA wrote:
How Do You Feel About The Word ret*d?

The word ret*d and the related ret*d have at least 2 very different uses of which I am aware.
The one being discussed here, the primarily insulting use; and an aviation use.

I'd feel quite okay with the insulting and demeaning usage of the words vanishing from history.

I feel perfectly comfortable with the aviation usage of the words ret*d and ret*d,
https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviatio ... o07007.pdf
Quote:
At least three accidents/incidents have occurred on A320 aircraft dispatched with one thrust reverser deactivated (as allowed by the master minimum equipment list (MMEL)) because the flight crew failed to ret*d both thrust levers to the IDLE detent for the flare and landing.

Quote:
The thrust levers do not move automatically but are manually placed in one of the detents by the pilot. The A320 design requires that both thrust levers be ret*d to the IDLE detent by the pilot on landing.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 9:52 pm

IstominFan wrote:
I hate it. It's an ugly word.

DITTO!! !!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 10:14 pm

Jiheisho wrote:

There are people who think it's endearing and/or use it on themselves so think it's ok to call others
But for most young people they just ape their buddies because they want to fit in and be cool

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2021, 12:59 am

cyberdad wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:

There are people who think it's endearing and/or use it on themselves so think it's ok to call others
But for most young people they just ape their buddies because they want to fit in and be cool

Like I said...

:wink: :lol: