Page 7 of 26 [ 414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 26  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 2:28 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Back to the topic of the thread the pejoritive "ret*d" is much more "popular" then any one autism stereotype because people apply it to a lot more then autism. Autistic is replacing "ret*d" in part because it is becoming politically incorrect to use "ret*d" in a number of circles.

No matter which stereotype is most popular at the moment, the problem is what Autism is to a most autistics is mostly unknown.

Yes this fair enough... the r-word is more loaded (as you say) but by the same token I'm not aware of anyone who would consider being called autistic as anything but an insult. It's just a matter of degrees...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 2:48 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Back to the topic of the thread the pejoritive "ret*d" is much more "popular" then any one autism stereotype because people apply it to a lot more then autism. Autistic is replacing "ret*d" in part because it is becoming politically incorrect to use "ret*d" in a number of circles.

No matter which stereotype is most popular at the moment, the problem is what Autism is to a most autistics is mostly unknown.

Yes this fair enough... the r-word is more loaded (as you say) but by the same token I'm not aware of anyone who would consider being called autistic as anything but an insult. It's just a matter of degrees...

Well now you know one. My perception would depend heavily on the circumstances.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 3:15 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Well now you know one. My perception would depend heavily on the circumstances.

oops! clarification - NT perception

jbw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2017, 6:30 am

Awiddershinlife wrote:
It is a word that means slow.

Language always provides non-literal, abstract ways to precisely express one's ideas. If we politicize a word, its meaning morphs. "ret*d" changed from a general adjective to talk about something that was moving, but at a slower speed, to label and segregate human cognition, to a weapon. When we PC a word, it increases its power as a weapon.

The most successful campaigns I am aware of to disarm weaponized vocabulary is the group affected embraces the word: queer (odd), first a general word, then a pejorative, then replaced with gay, now the umbrella term for talking about sexual diversity in a civil manner. "Black" was embraced because segment of humans, although we are all shades of brown, denigrated on the abstract feature.

It was used, like gay, to replace a word that is still such a powerful weapon of hate, that if I wrote it, I would be sanctioned 8O I pray for the day when this "old" "white" "lady" (all politicized words) can talk about my friends and family with "n-word" and no one thinks its bad because no one thinks badly of people stereotyped by it, and the pain caused by this weapon has healed.

But as long as the world is inhabited by humans, we will have haters. As long as we have haters, words will be weaponized. All we can do is embrace them proudly.

Correct. It is time the autistic community takes ownership of the word "autistic" rather than leaving it in the hands of so-called "autism professionals". You might enjoy the following slides from a talk I did in January on a related topic https://coininco.files.wordpress.com/20 ... bourne.pdf.

jbw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2017, 6:51 am

Awiddershinlife wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
ret*d means slow. ret*d has pretty much always been a pejorative. If people want to reappropriate that word into something positive I would be for that effort.

But that's silly. Why should we change the meaning of existing words. That's like going through the dictionary and scoring out words we don't like.

Every generation changes the vocabulary. And the older generation has been complaining about it for thousands years or so. Language is very fluid.

This is correct. Words are often used intentionally to trigger specific emotions. It is a common pattern for those who are oppressed or who have less power to jointly redefine the semantics of specific words. This allows insults to be turned into approval and innocent words to be turned into insults. No one owns a language, even if institutions like the Académie française sometimes pretend that they own a language.

By the way, there is a fascinating book on the history of the Oxford English Dictionary titled "The Surgeon of Crowthorne : A Tale of Murder, Madness and the Oxford English Dictionary" by Simon Winchester.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 9:52 am

jbw wrote:
Awiddershinlife wrote:
It is a word that means slow.

Language always provides non-literal, abstract ways to precisely express one's ideas. If we politicize a word, its meaning morphs. "ret*d" changed from a general adjective to talk about something that was moving, but at a slower speed, to label and segregate human cognition, to a weapon. When we PC a word, it increases its power as a weapon.

The most successful campaigns I am aware of to disarm weaponized vocabulary is the group affected embraces the word: queer (odd), first a general word, then a pejorative, then replaced with gay, now the umbrella term for talking about sexual diversity in a civil manner. "Black" was embraced because segment of humans, although we are all shades of brown, denigrated on the abstract feature.

It was used, like gay, to replace a word that is still such a powerful weapon of hate, that if I wrote it, I would be sanctioned 8O I pray for the day when this "old" "white" "lady" (all politicized words) can talk about my friends and family with "n-word" and no one thinks its bad because no one thinks badly of people stereotyped by it, and the pain caused by this weapon has healed.

But as long as the world is inhabited by humans, we will have haters. As long as we have haters, words will be weaponized. All we can do is embrace them proudly.

Correct. It is time the autistic community takes ownership of the word "autistic" rather than leaving it in the hands of so-called "autism professionals". You might enjoy the following slides from a talk I did in January on a related topic https://coininco.files.wordpress.com/20 ... bourne.pdf.

This is called Reappropriation. If you have heard the expression "let your freak flag fly" that came about because in the '60's hippes were called pejoratively freaks by mainstream America. The hippies reappropriated it even though nobody really called it that back then. Now the expression has morphed into pride in difference of many kinds.

Aspie was an attempt to do that for Aspergers. That's all. It was not an attempt to hate NT's, disassociate from severe autistics, excuse rude behavoir etc. But many in our community have managed to turn it into those negatives. If we hate ourselves, we will never get respect, acceptence, tolerance in any meaningful way.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 9:18 pm

If society wasn't so obssessed with intelligence, ret*d probably wouldn't be a problem word.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 10:34 pm

248RPA wrote:
If society wasn't so obssessed with intelligence, ret*d probably wouldn't be a problem word.

According to the functionalism school of psychology, intelligence is an evolutionary adaptation whereby higher intelligence is mean't to help us survive living in the jungle and keeping out of harm's way.

In the future the reliance on human intelligence is (ironically) going to be unnecessary as AI units (mobile and stationary) will think for us. AI will eventually become > human intelligence and when that happens the need for smart humans become redundant.

aspie314
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Mar 2017, 4:29 pm

I hate the word if it is used as a colloquial term or insult. If it is used legitimately I am okay with it.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 4:33 pm

It has a defined meaning nobody really uses.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jul 2017, 3:30 am

The R word is firmly rooted in the same ignorance and bigotry which gave us the N word, absolutely no difference at all. Some of the language which is common place in the US would be considered totally unacceptable and discriminatory in the UK. The horribly named and totally inaccurate TEACHH is one example. No one would ever dream of using the word handicap in this country, its just plain nasty. Society is our disabler not our alleged impairments. The term Handicap comes from the time when some people who could not work had to beg "hand in cap' the cap was where the rich could donate their penny.

BBC: Radio 4

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 4:36 am

Voxish wrote:
The R word is firmly rooted in the same ignorance and bigotry which gave us the N word, absolutely no difference at all. Some of the language which is common place in the US would be considered totally unacceptable and discriminatory in the UK. The horribly named and totally inaccurate TEACHH is one example. No one would ever dream of using the word handicap in this country, its just plain nasty. Society is our disabler not our alleged impairments. The term Handicap comes from the time when some people who could not work had to beg "hand in cap' the cap was where the rich could donate their penny.

And yet "high functioning" WP members use the r word often (not mentioning names)

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Jul 2017, 1:26 pm

Well, at least Edgar Wright turned that meaning into a joke redirected at the person who says the word, so that has to be a win.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 3:06 pm

248RPA wrote:

That would seem to explain all these demands.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 8:26 pm

The term has worn out its welcome.....long ago.

Jesus Sperg
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jul 2017, 7:33 am

deleted