Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Ersatz Einstein
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Apr 2020, 10:54 am

This morning, Le Monde uploaded a charming blog post/PSA about autism and the coronavirus. Specifically, it's a comic about how a family dealing with poverty, illness, and stress can also struggle with the burden of an autistic member and how we "can't understand the distinction between sickness and confinement," making us inevitably the weak link in social distancing. The comic features a teenaged girl taking care of her ill parents and her autistic sister, who can only scream and lick objects she shouldn't in public. The former is the main character and portrayed as the victim of her sister's "illness" as much as of the problems brought by the coronavirus. At the end is a note explaining that we're all suffering more than everyone else because of the upset to our routines, and it's the responsibility of every NT to help such "children."

I'd like to say that I'm shocked, but this isn't shocking. I'd like to say I'm furious, but I'm too angry about every other boneheaded response to the virus to focus on it without feeling selfish. So, I thought I'd post here and see what everyone else thinks about it. Am I just overreacting?

Here's the link: https://www.lemonde.fr/blog/lavventura/ ... -le-covid/

carlos55
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2020, 6:39 pm

Reality of life and death always trumps pc ideology and niceties.

You only have to look at how international relations between EU states in the crisis to see this with competition for Ppe, with all states for themselves.

Its a fact that autistic kids often lick and touch things more than NT kids do which puts them more at risk and by default the household if they contract the virus.

There’s also the burden on siblings many just children themselves of having to help Parents look out for a disabled child. This has been well documented so I won’t bother going into that now.

Anyway the virus is just the beginning we could be facing economic collapse soon inc US and here in Britain and Europe.

I have a Uni degree in economics and one of my interests is finance int Relations, military & geo politics. I read and listen to a lot of stuff on that.

Basically this will be worse than the next great depression and our countries that have unsustainable debts will struggle to provide the same quality of life to its people they have become accustomed to.

This economic fallout could be for decades or be a permanent shift

This will have huge implications for the most vulnerable who rely on others, including autistic people who most live on a low income, or worse welfare that may not continue or end up worthless from hyperinflation.

Also it’s fair to say in a ruthless jungle environment we don’t fair well either.

So there will be huge changes coming up where many gov and people will have to take a sober look at priorities.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2020, 5:30 am

Well, my French is a bit rusty but I think I got the gist.
I get that the intent of the cartoon is to support adolescents who are under too much pressure to help their families, which is fine in principle.
But I agree, the inference that autistics are all going to have similar issues, for instance with licking things or not understanding the concept of social distancing, is infuriating.
If there's one basic rule about autistics, it's that we're all different.

carlos55
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2020, 6:16 pm

I understand what you mean i.e don’t presume all autistic people have an ID and are not capable.

The problem is aspies and hf autistics are all lumped in the same boat as those with severe autism.

So until science discovers where the boarders are between severities and ID and physical symptoms common to us like dyspraxia, autism will be regarded as one condition.

So it’s a question of priorities, the highest needs are those of severe autistics who cannot look after themselves, the lowest being hf advocates who may be just offended but still be able to take care of themselves.

In my opinion advocates would be best getting behind science and autism research, even cure talk to be bring on the great split in autism’s and be liberated from those who they feel don’t represent their condition.