Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Amaltheia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Oct 2016, 8:28 am

From Business Insider: People with autism make more logical decisions

Quote:
This indicates that people with autism use a different strategy when making decisions.

Instead of using intuition and emotion like people without autism, they were not following their heart and don’t use emotional information to guide their decisions.

Instead, they viewed differently framed, but numerically equivalent, options more rationally than typical people.

So they gambled just as much as non-autistic people, but did so using the numerical information instead of making decisions based on how those numbers made them feel.

Not sure why anyone would ever assume otherwise.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Oct 2016, 9:06 am

Quote:

Probably because for some autistic people decisions can be governed by Special Interests, so they're not always logical at all.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 11:40 am

There's already been a discussion about this in the GAD.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Soulsparrer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Oct 2016, 11:48 am

I guess the problem is that sometimes being "too logical" is counter-productive in some professions, especially when working around groups of people where more intuition or 'split second' decisions are required. (And unfortunately most entry-level or college jobs don't afford this chance; this is usually reserved for more senior employees such as professors).

Being logical for example, might be a great trait for a scientist working alone trying to figure out a physics problem, but it might be a problem for someone such as... a football player who can't waste too much time 'sitting and thinking' in the middle of a match, and has to be paying attention to everything his teammates are doing.

(This might be one of the reasons for the stereotype about aspies being bad at team sports; though who knows? It might give aspies an advantage in solo sports or games which are more about logic, such as pool or golf).

Likewise it might present a problem in leadership or management positions, since people aren't completely 'logical' like robots, and not being aware enough of employees' empathy or morale could come across as too much of a 'hard ass' or 'tyrant' and end up being unpopular with ones' employees.

Amaltheia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Oct 2016, 6:23 pm

League_Girl wrote:
There's already been a discussion about this in the GAD.

I did a search for "Business Insider" and nothing relating to this came up. So I didn't know.

However, I'm not so much interested in the underlying research as the fact that it's a relatively positive portrayal of autism in non-medical media, which is quite interesting. I would expect a publication like Business Insider to buy into the standard autism-as-tragedy narrative, not because they're specifically anti-autistic, but because that's the dominant narrative. So I just found it really interesting that they published this piece, which is quite positive, just reports the story and doesn't have any disclaimers to preemptively fend off the anti-autism crowd.

Maybe things are turning a corner. I don't know.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 10:46 pm

I know I have Asperger's but I often use emotion when solving problems. It would be... illogical... to ignore human emotion. I usually try not to let my emotions control my actions, but I will listen to my gut instincts when it comes to questionable people or situations. If I made more logical decisions I wouldn't be a Creative Writing major. :/

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 11:06 pm

> People with autism make more logical decisions

I used to think so, but after reading a lot of posts here I changed my mind. :mrgreen:

There Are Four Lights!

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 11:51 pm

I trust logic over everything else. I think that's why I don't drink alcohol or do drugs and have never felt any desire to. It doesn't make any sense and would only hurt me, so why should I do it? It's illogical.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 2:40 am

Amaltheia wrote:

Probarbly becouse they don't assume the "pure logic" as an option; NTs that are not in regular contact with (decently functional) autistics have no reason to assume that we think and ration differently.

This is thr equivalent of me (for a long time) not realising that some people used their feelings to make a decision

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 10:58 pm

A support worker who has been helping me for a while told me I was very logical in how I approached things a couple of weeks ago, I went on a five minute explanation that I was merely desiring to approach things thoroughly one stage at a time so I could muster sufficient effort to combat them with the right level of gusto, she insisted it was the logical thing to do and other people she helps do not prefer that kind of approach.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 11:29 am

Well, you could have fooled me. I'd need more than this to believe it, though.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 11:37 am

We really don't know the answer unless someone actually does the research. Without actual research we are just guessing. Asking experts who haven't done the research either is just educated guessing.

You see this all the time on the Internet--nobody wants to actually do any of the hard work, even if just about anybody could do it.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 7:41 pm

When it comes to making a logical decision I can often more times then not displace my emotions. Sometimes making the right decision at times makes emotions irrelevant.

AutieUberAlles
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Oct 2016, 7:43 pm

I doubt people with autism make more logical decisions. I have experienced people with autism to make more logical fallacies based on lack of control of emotions than those who actually act logical.

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2016, 8:13 pm

Just confirming what most of us already knew.

That being said, we shouldn't confuse logic with rational thinking. Logical thinkers can still act and think irrationally, especially when overwhelmed with emotion.

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2016, 8:14 pm

DancingCorpse wrote:
A support worker who has been helping me for a while told me I was very logical in how I approached things a couple of weeks ago, I went on a five minute explanation that I was merely desiring to approach things thoroughly one stage at a time so I could muster sufficient effort to combat them with the right level of gusto, she insisted it was the logical thing to do and other people she helps do not prefer that kind of approach.

Lol you sound like my kinda guy.