Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 12:04 am

Why Your Next Favorite Fictional Protagonist Might Be on the Autism Spectrum - Smithsonian Magazine

Quote:
Is autism cool?

It is in literature, as novels featuring characters on the autism spectrum become so frequent that they’ve spawned a new genre: “autism lit,” or “aut lit.”

Many of the works put a positive spin on autism. These autistic characters have abilities as well as disabilities; they exist not only as mirrors or catalysts to help others solve their problems, but as active agents with inner lives.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, first published in 2003, did more than any other book to give life to this genre. Christopher Boone, the narrator, is a 15-year-old autistic savant; that is, he can perform computer-like math in his head. He also has trouble with language and social interactions, the two primary symptoms of autism. Still, he’s shown to have an inner life that includes many opinions, as well as hopes for the future. Perhaps of greatest importance is that he has the ability to pursue his goal of solving the mystery of who killed his neighbor’s dog.

Of particular interest is M is for Autism (2015), the moving result of a collaboration of young students at Limpsfield Grange, a school for autistic girls. Boys are diagnosed with autism four times more often than girls, and the face of autism is almost always that of a young boy. This novella looks at some of the special issues that young women face, and by doing so it’s an exception in the genre.

Autism lit is not without controversy: Many readers object to the prevalence of the autistic savant. And in fact, most of these protagonists are gifted: Christopher Boone, for example, is about to sit for his A levels in math, a heady accomplishment in England, where the book takes place. Nathaniel Clark is graduating college (with a double major, he reminds us more than once) at the age of 14.

In reality, savant skills are as rare in the autism spectrum community as they are in the neurotypical one. Those who dislike the novels for this reason cite the 1988 film Rain Man in which Dustin Hoffman plays Raymond Babbit, who can memorize a thick phone book in one night. As novelist and cultural observer Greg Olear wrote, “Thirty years later, the belief persists that autistics can reliably count a pile of toothpicks at a glance. This is a powerful negative stereotype that autistic children (and their parents) must overcome.”

But there doesn’t seem to be any stopping “autism lit,” exploitative or not. In fact, the fascination with the autism spectrum and fiction has launched yet another literary trend: the “retroactive diagnosis.” Some readers now believe that Mr. Darcy of Pride and Prejudice is on the spectrum; that’s the explanation for his reserve. Some readers suspect that the narrator of Hermann Hesse’s Steppenwolf falls into this category as well. The word “autism” didn’t exist, the theory goes, before World War II, and that’s the explanation for why Austen and Hesse didn’t label their characters themselves

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 12:25 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Is autism cool?

I would prefer that it not be.

There Are Four Lights!

fakkau89
Raven
Raven

25 May 2017, 4:16 am

oh please, no more math savants! what about musically or drawing gifted people, or writing (That would be meta!) ...

anyways getting kind of sick of math savants... I liked the story (real story) of the black guy who could memorize

an entire city by overhead chopper glance and redraw it.

Anyways....would be cool if they made graphic novels with an aspie character...
maybe a superhero club or something featuring aspies...

here in australia in the news there has been more media coverage of aspergers on SBS and one
of the things now being promoted is the ICAN network..

The main guy heads a classroom of aspies dubbed "The Mutants"...
that would be awesome if someone was inspired by that. :)

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 9:23 am

I agree. I would like to see a story about somebody with autism/Asperger's who breaks the stereotypical mold. How about a young girl who is a good student, likes to write and has a passion for tennis, but didn't think she could play the game because they thought, "Oh, she has AS. She can't be athletic." That girl is inspired by Denis Istomin, someone who overcame even greater challenges than her own to succeed. The reason she came to be a fan of Istomin also breaks the stereotype of the autistic person lacking empathy.

fakkau89
Raven
Raven

28 May 2017, 8:44 pm

IstominFan wrote:
I agree. I would like to see a story about somebody with autism/Asperger's who breaks the stereotypical mold. How about a young girl who is a good student, likes to write and has a passion for tennis, but didn't think she could play the game because they thought, "Oh, she has AS. She can't be athletic." That girl is inspired by Denis Istomin, someone who overcame even greater challenges than her own to succeed. The reason she came to be a fan of Istomin also breaks the stereotype of the autistic person lacking empathy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_Marzo