Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 4:45 am

Glendale College program matching autistic adults with trade jobs flourishes within first year

Quote:
James Molien spent years taking business classes at Glendale Community College but faced difficulty landing a full-time job.

The 27-year-old Glendale resident said he’d take part-time stints to earn cash and help support his mother and grandmother. Pressure increased as he was expected to be the breadwinner for the household.

Molien found relief when a friend told him about a program that launched at the Glendale college a year ago. The Uniquely Abled Academy offers training to highly functioning adults with autism to operate computer-numerical-control machines and work as machinist apprentices and programmers.

The academy is a collaboration between Glendale Community College and the Uniquely Abled Project. It works with educators, nonprofits and corporations to place autistic adults in high-performing, well-paid jobs.

Now, a year after the academy debuted, eight of the 13 students who completed the program have landed full-time jobs as computer-numerical-control operators, while two decided to pursue other career paths, said Ivan Rosenburg, who founded the Valley Village-based project in 2013.

The second cohort graduated this month and will begin seeking jobs.

“When I saw this program, it was a way out of the hole I was in,” said Molien, who has Asperger’s Syndrome. “Employers are happy you’re educated, but don’t care unless you have viable skills. The program really helped with that.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman