Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Marine83
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Mar 2019, 8:00 pm

I want to put and expand my petition on We the People. I started with the Military, but is there anything else autistics have been unfairly denied access to. I need your suggestions.

Ersatz Einstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 May 2019, 8:18 am

Medical schools reserve the right to deny acceptance and expel students on the basis of disability status. I personally have been rejected from pretty much every school I applied to, in spite of 99th percentile MCAT scores, a 3.8 GPA, and five years of research experience. While I can't prove that that's the problem, as the process is opaque at best, I strongly suspect that at least a few schools rejected me because I made the mistake of disclosing my ASD in the application, and at least one rejected me because I failed to come across as sufficiently friendly and interpersonal in an interview. More to the point, there's a series of court cases showing that multiple students expelled from medical school due to intellectual or developmental disability have then unsuccessfully sued. The current precedent is that if the school doesn't think you're a "good person" or "up to the challenge," for whatever reason, they have the right to deny you access to education, and by extension, deny the next generation access to doctors who might know something about the spectrum first-hand.